Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_gary

Our 2nd Year Hosta Garden (Heavy Pic's)

mr_gary
10 years ago

Hi everyone! So many of you have supplied so much helpful information for me over the last two years that I wanted to share our family garden with you all. What started out to be a remidy for grass not growing under an oak tree has turned into something much more for us as well as our neighborhood. Hope everyone enjoys the picture's and that it's not to many.

Newer bed this year for H. Squash Casserole. Thanks to all who helped me ID this hosta.

Newer bed this year for H. Blue Mommath

H. Blue Mommath

Newer bed this year

H. City Lights & Guacamole

H. Loyalist

August Moon

H. Great Expectations

H. Elatior

H. Remember Me

H. Blue Angel (1 0f 2), May, Litte Aurora, Blue Mouse Ears and I use to know the name of the varigated green and yellow but forgot name before I could get it logged. Lol! Any help is welcome.

H. Golden Waffle

H. Dancing Queen

H. Rainforest Sunrise

H. Lakeside Cupcake

H. Pauls Glory

H. George Smith

H. American Halo

H. Liberty (1 of 4)

H. Orange Marmalade

H. Sun Power ��" A little concerned about this one I thought it would come up first year bigger than this.

H. Hadspen Blue

H. Osprey

H. Twilight

H. Patriot

H. June

H. Blue Angel (2 of 2)

H. Ventricosa

H. Sagae (1 of 2) the smaller one.

H. Francis Williams

H. Bressingham Blue

H. Fortunei Aureomarginata

H. Old Glory

H. Praying Hands

H. Night Before Christmas

H. St. Elmo’s Fire

H. Gaucamole

H. Sagae (2 of 2)

Multi pic

Muti pic

H. Krossa Regal

H. Blue Vision in muti pic

H. Elegan in multi pic

H. First Frost in muti pic.

H. Sagae in muti pic.

H. Abiqua Drinking Gourd middle in muti pic.

Queen Josephine in muti pic

H. Banyai’s Dancing Girl between 2 Golden Edgers

H. Osprey in middle of multi pic.

H. Liberty (2 of 4)

H. Hadspen Blue and Little Aurora

H. Inniswood

Multi pic

H. Little Aurora

H. Wide Brim with Brim Cup who suffered a large amount of frost bite.

H. Fragrant Bouquet

Comments (13)

• Gesila
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice displays! Your hostas look so much like mine. Was that a Countryside Gardens tag I saw in next to Lakeside Cupcake? I'm in Western Michigan, specifically Jenison. Where are you at? Something tells me we're shopping at some of the same places.

Gesila

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gesila I'm glad you liked our displays! For you to say our hostas look so much like your's is a compliment. No that wasn't a Countryside Gardens tag you saw. Lakeside Cupcake was purchased at Hornbakers Gardens in Princeton, Illinois.Thats a little more than an hour from me here in Peoria, Illinois. We go there during Fathers Day so we'll be heading there this year. LOL!!! So I don't think we're shopping at the same place. It's just that we both have good taste.
    Gesila

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Wow, you've done a lot of work in your yard and it looks beautiful! I bet the neighbors love it! I love the multi pics! Thanks for posting and keep us updated as it matures.

Linda

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Your hosta are really pretty.

Little Aurora caught my eye.

Thanks for the tour.

bk

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

Wow,thatsa lota hostas! This just started 2 years ago? If this is what happens I had better start looking at the neighbors yard for space. This is just my first year.
    Looks great!

• mary52zn8tx
    10 years ago

Very pretty hosta garden! Thanks for sharing!

• flowerchild59
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing your beautiful gardens.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Two years? Oh man, I am so far behind you and I have been a hosta addict for about six years. Your beds and containers look fantastic and not a weed in sight! I spent all day weeding and hardly made a dent, it seems. I need to retire just so I can make my gardens look as lovely as yours. When you set your mind to something, you sure don't mess around, do you?! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Cynthia

• irawon
    10 years ago

Your hostas are beautiful and so well displayed. You have some I don't and now I wish I did. Your Blue Mammoth is awesome. Your krossa Regal reminds me why I bought mine. Thanks for the tour. I enjoyed it and NO not too many pictures.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Great garden for being only 2 years old. Hornbakers is a great place to buy plants. Too bad FranknJim isn't still around he was from Peoria also. Looks like your are well on your way. Now go see a convention garden.

Steve

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Very nice gardens and great to see another 2 year gardener has gone overboard as I have too. I guess we have catching up to some of the long time growers like Steve/ Paul, Ken, etc. Hopefully will have as much knowledge as they have. Thanks for the tour.
    Faye

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve, there's a Convention coming up in Chicago in July I may have to do that. @ Faye your welcome and yes there is a lot to learn. Thank you both!

• User
    10 years ago

Congratulations, MrGary.....you've done an outstanding job. I am saving your post to my clippings so I can go back to it easily for reference.

I think the one you cannot remember might be Alex Summers. It sure looks like mine. I won't picture it here, but mine is about the same age as yours....I'm just a sophomore with hosta myself, so our plants are "of an age."

I'm pleased to see you are growing Banyai's Dancing Girl. It looks almost like Blue Cadet, and it is a very inexpensive choice to mass plant. Van Wade suggests it as an edger if you ever need such a feature. I edge with liriope here in zone 9a. But I am making a collection of the smaller blue hosta such as BC and BDGirl since I don't like being redundant and I like variety. Things such as Drummer Boy, Dear Hearts, Happy Hearts, Cheatin Heart (golden), Golden Tiara, Grand Tiara, Twist of Lime, Lemon Lime, Feather Boa....well, I fibbed, I just like the smaller mounding hosta blue or gold or green!

Thanks for treating us to a beautiful garden.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz