Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Cutting Edge

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

Bought as a 4" pot by mail in 2008 - nothing much to look at for the 1st year.

Then needed to move in 2011 as it was encroaching on the path - so moved it to some sun.....maybe too much sun (morning to early afternoon).

The last two years some of the leaves have crisped up. Latest was a couple of sunny 80 degree days recently after a spring of overcast and rain - newer leaves were really hit hard. I removed a couple of the worst leaves in the pic below.

What has been your experience with Cutting Edge and sun? Thinking about finding a hosta in more shade to swap it with. But last year 2 years have not been very typical so don't want to move CE if others have had success in bright locations.

Thanks for your input.

Paul

Comments (14)

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

That plant is well named !
    I have never been into many skinny or wavy leaved Hosta
    (being a big round leaf guy)

But I admit that thing has a personality I like, its like my Reptilian on MAJOR steroids.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Cutting Edge is a little different from a lot of the "sharp" hostas... narrow, wavy, rippled edges... like Hacksaw, The Cutting Edge, and so on.

The immature leaves on CE are narrow, but they become much wider in the mature plants. Paul's second photo has to be "interpreted" a little. The leaves are not round, but they are fairly wide, tapering to a point... their width is a little less apparent in the photo because of the way they fold up.

I've got a couple in deep shade, Paul... I'll give them a look and get back to you...

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Mine is in deep shade so it doesnt crisp up, but this year we had similar weather patterns- long cool spring with a couple days of high heat thrown in . That fried the leaves on Regal Splendor and Elegans for me, just as it did to them last year in a nearly identical weather situation. Those two are in morning sun. The one that didn't fry this year was Parhelion, which is next to those two. I had saturated the soil under Parhelion the night before the heat....I dont know if that long drink helped it withstand the heat or what. Anyway, I feel your pain- I HATE when those young leaves fry.

Nice cutting edge, though. Mine has been neglected in a pot for several years but I just planted it into its permanent home and I look forward to it looking like that one day.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

re: Jim's Comments...The last picture was very early in the morning (6:43am), most of the hosta were very upright almost vase shape after a cool night and a chance to recover and rehydrate....so I suspect that is why leaves look so folded.

Here's a pic a week earlier in the mid-afternoon.

Paul

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

This is one of those last minute selections that has turned out to be a top favorite. It's grown steadly and is also a rarity since it's found a permanent home unlike most of my other plants that move around all the time. It's in morning sun and raised up enough that you look at the side of it when you are sitting at the patio table. You get to see the underside and waves up close.

Love this one.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I think its got a little "sloppy" look... never quite forms that perfect hosta mound some of them do... and I like that... I'd love to see some of these planted in a steep rock wall, kind of growing out and hanging down, more like they might do on the side of a Korean mountain...

I've got two big ones and really should take one out to give the space to some more recenta acquisition... but darn - I like both of them!

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I resisted looking at this post because I don't have this one, but finally caved in. I love those leaves!

I bet I can fit this one in a pot somewhere in my gardens!

Gesila

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Great, now I have to add Cutting Edge to my lust list. Sigh!

• idiothe
    10 years ago

You can do a whole "sharps" theme bed...

Hacksaw
    The Razor's Edge
    Cutting Edge
    RickRack (ok - not a blade, but looks like it belongs)
    The Leading Edge
    Silver Threads and Golden Needles

I'm sure there are a lot my tired brain is skipping...

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

The frightening thing is that I have all but two of the above, and I'm not even violent. But I do really like Cutting Edge. It has grow beautifully. Mine is in a lot of sun this year, due to the death of its shade tree, but seems to like it.
    I acquired it because it is from 'Salute'. I love that hosta for its upright form and easy-growing ways.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Ginsu Knife, Stiletto...

• idiothe
    10 years ago

thanks... Ginsu Knife is in with that group in my planting... Stiletto is just a few yards away... just couldn't fill in what was in that spot in the middle without going out with a flashlight...

To be fair - Atom Smasher probably deserves an honorary membership. I think it is in the heritage of many of these... at least that's what I was told.

• User
    10 years ago

Hey hey hey, those sharps are neat plants. My very first favorite hosta was The Razor's Edge, based on what it did shortly after it arrived. I mean it looked like a big green Afro, and I bought a special pot for it, what I call a "head" pot. Then it died within a day of southern blight, and I was horrified. These days, the pot sits ready for the replacement to look that good, so I can locate it in The Razor's Edge pot!

But I also have Atom Smasher, in a bowl with other small/minis. I thought this spring it was going to croak, but I waited and soon its bright golden leaves were springing up, even a new eye was put up. This year sure is a mixed bag!

Here is my Moonstruck and The Razor's Edge in June 2012. Both of these plants are departed, sad to say.

Here is The Razor's Edge replacement this year.

And Atom Smasher finally growing and made itself another eye. I wondered if it might be stoloniferous? or rhizomatus?

• irawon
    10 years ago

My Cutting Edge looks happy enough. I have it planted under evergreens, northern edge in dappled light but the wind is roughing it up a bit. The picture shows the amount of sunshine at about 1:00 PM.My Emerald Ruff Cut isn't faring as well because of a late frost and then lots of rain that melted some of the leaves. Not a typical spring. Your CE, Paul, looks better that my ERC.