Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

Hosta Mapping

hostanista
10 years ago

Started this "Hosta Walk" on the hillside just beyond my back yard gate last season. Most hostas are newbies this year or from last summer, in addition to some transplants of others from around the property. Because of their baby size they aren't very visible in some of the shots, and a few little ones are completely hidden behind trees due to the angle of the photo (Blue Wedgewood, Golden Tiara) but with the names there, you get the gist.

I wanted to map out where everyone is - it's hard to remember when there's 3 feet of snow out there - and was going to draw it out on paper, then I thought better of it. A picture is worth a thousand words right?

Still tons of room to expand the collection, as you can see.

Posting this one section at a time.....

Comments (15)

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Part 2 of Hosta Mapping

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Part 3 of Hosta Mapping

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Part 4 of Hosta Mapping

This post was edited by Hostanista on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 14:47

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Part 5 of Hosta Mapping

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you are showing your age.. if your first thought was a pencil.. lol ...

great job ...

me likey .... [who used to say that??]

ken

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Very nice! I don't know how to do that,what you've done,but I really don't have to,I remember where all of my hostas are,and if anyone asks me where a particular hosta is,I can show them. No,I'm not a mentalist,I just don't have that many hosta. Only about 350,not including seedlings. Phil

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I have mapped most of my hostas the same way. It really helped when my brother's Bernese Mountain dog trampled through the gardens this winter.

Phil, there must be some about the 550 hosta mark. When I had 350, I could remember where they all were, but am having a hard time this year. Kind of like when the fourth child came, I started mixing up their names. This afternoon, I called the youngest boy by his older brother's name. And, they are 20 years apart. Go figure.

Gesila

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I have a map on Excel to look hostas up. Last year I removed all markers because I was not able to rake around them comfortably, it was too much effort. Now I have a problem sometimes to remember the name of a certain hosta, and I only have around 350 hostas. Seedlings I have not mapped yet, and some of the black ink nearly washed off the white plastic forks, so they might become Noids.
    Bernd

• User
    10 years ago

Bernd, how would you cope with having NOIDS? It irritates me when I cannot remember where I put a hosta and it sticks with me until I remember.....

I am AT the 350 mark and climbing.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Wow Hostanista, it is going to look amazing when those hostas mature. Where are you in Ontario? The three feet of snow comment caught my attention.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey bernie,, ...

no ink lasts....

sandpaper your knives.. and use a plain old carbon pencil..#2 ...

i believe the half life of carbon dates in the million of years ..

and write the name above and below ground... the part not exposed will last longer ...

i used to garbage pick mini blinds.. same deal .... nothing sticks to shiny plastic ... heck.. these days.. you could get mini blinds at wally world for less than the knives.. lol .... cut them into 3 inch strips....

ken

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Hey Moccassin and Ken, you only can do what you can do. There is also a lot of other yard work, the family, etc. and sweet doing nothing, plus I am supposed to be retired. For me, I have to make sketches soon of the seedling world. Have a good one!
    PS. I noticed, sanding pieces of blinds and writing on it with a pencil lasts well.
    Bernd

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PaulaB - in the snowbelt of Woodstock.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

That is why you are 5b and I am 5a. You do get more snow than we do!

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

What a gorgeous place for growing hosta you have. I like how you're mapping it out. I gave up on mapping for now and hope my signs stick around even through my raking.