Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

My Krossa Regal is much better than yours Walmart! Nah nah!

brandys_garden
9 years ago

I saw Walmart here has Krossa Regals for sale... They are OK looking but mine is much, much prettier and much more eye catching color. Mine is a perfect minty, frosty, blue green color whereas Walmart is more of a dull green color with less hint of blue. So proud of my Krossa right now!!! Does anyone have a Krossa they would like to share, as well?? Please feel free to do so!!

Comments (30)

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I don't have this one, but yours does have a very nice blue color.

Karen

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

What a coincidence, Brandy! I thought of you a couple of hours ago when I was admiring my Wheee!

That KR you have - I've never quite seen such a pretty colour on it, so light and powdery. It's VERY pretty! A misty watercolour!

Another coincidence-I DO just happen to have a Krossa Regal...x2 as I potted one and left one in the ground.

Here are mine.

9 years ago

Here's the other one, somewhat taller than the other but this one was not disturbed last year. Makes a difference, I guess! This one is in more shade so the powder blue is bluer than the first one which gets sun till 1:30.

Your KR is going to get big! Glad you are so happy with it. It is a beautiful hosta!

This post was edited by josephines67 on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 17:04

• User
    9 years ago

I have three KR I planted about 7 years ago. They're regal and tall and very wide now. One that's not in this photo I measured last week is 47 inches across now. I used to be neutral on KR, but I've grown to appreciate them more now.

9 years ago

Those are gorgeous - a very glam colour! Love it!

• User
    9 years ago

Here's another look at that beautiful misty blue.

• Glen4sure
    9 years ago

I purchased these from WALMART last year!

• Glen4sure
    9 years ago

This one is from Lowes that I also purchased last year.

• User
    9 years ago

Given that I planted mine 7 years ago, they were most likely purchased at Home Depot or walmart. I didn't really know where else to shop for them at that point and was simply trying to shore up the loose soil on a slope.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

still got the cicadas â¦.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Sorry - no pics. I have Krossa Regal and Regal Splendor planted side by side on the north (full shade) side of my house. They've been elegant, lovely & totally stunning ever since I planted them back in 2007.

I have pictures but no longer have a photo sharing site where I can upload them.

• User
    9 years ago

Gardenweed, you can upload ONE picture via the GWeb internal image uploader. In the area called "Post a Follow-Up" (the box where I'm typing now), the first line says:

"Image file to upload (optional): [Browse] No file selected
    User Name: gardenweed_z6a

Well, click "Browse" and find the file you wish to upload.
    Once you click it, you can then continue typing your text but after you click "Preview Message" you must not edit the text or you'll have to re-upload the picture.

Great convenience for one picture per post. Even if you drop out of GWeb, the photo remains on GWeb. That's better than finding no images after you drop a photosharing site. If you want to show 3 pictures, make 3 posts, we all can do that.

I have a Krossa Regal which is not looking like much now. However, I have a new Regal Supreme that arrived looking fine. I have high hopes for that one!

Nice pictures, folks.

• esox48
    9 years ago

Krossa Regal is at the top of this photo. Also shown are Fort Knox to the right, Brother Stefan in the center, Thunderbolt in front.

Also a blue seedling to the front of Fort Knox and a lightly streaked volunteer I believe is from Thunderbolt, given the shape, thickness and location.

A part of Elegans on the left side and Northern Exposure in the distance. Also, lilies, small brush, volunteers, small seedlings. One day, it will all be hostas.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Our local Six Flags park has mature h.'Krossa Regal' too, I noticed today. KR is a very nice plant, a must for every garden.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

That is a very beautiful 'Kossa Regal' - so blue. I agree; it is a must in every garden.

Mine is about 15 years old. I don't remember from which mail catalog:

Picture taken in 2005

{{gwi:250101}}

Picture taken a couple weeks ago:

{{gwi:20219}}

A friend gave me a blue hosta last year. I did not realize it was Kossa Regal until this year.

Here's my 3 or 4 year old 'Regal Splendor' on the left with June in front:

This post was edited by pitimpinai on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 21:04

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

Krossa Regal (sans cicadas) with Baby Bunting nestled/cradled at its feet â¦

dave

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

one of my many Krossa Regal in old pond area. Love them

• User
    9 years ago

What a varied group these Krossa Regal are! They are used in just about every type of garden and look wonderful. I'm waiting for mine to turn on and rev up. Maybe it will be next year.

I'm getting gunshy here. A few I've really liked turned out to be NOIDs and not what I bought them for. Heck, I forgot what the 2010 NOID was even supposed to be. The Guardian Angel, well, I'm waiting on that because some of the pictures in the HLibrary show what might be versions of GA not like the ones pictured here. And since it came from Hallsons, I will show some trust in that. Never had a bummer from them.

Now here I am with a Krossa Regal that is sort of...ehh!...looking. But from a good source, so I'll be patient for a year longer before I go looking for it at another source.
    I got it in 2012.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Moccasin, be patient. Your KR will eventually take off, especially from next year on.

Last year a friend gave me a blue Hosta. It did not look special - just a blue hosta. But look what it turned out to be:

I will have to find a new home for it or it will not be happy squished next to an evergreen.
    Yours will look regal soon.

• User
    9 years ago

Pitim, yours looks great. They all look great. I will try to be patient, but sometimes I feel like asking for patience RIGHT NOW. :)

I have other hosta consolations, and I count them as my blessings. MULTIPLE blessings.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't think I'd like it at first, but it definitely adds a little zah zah zoom to my hosta garden for sure. So glad I purchased it now!!

You can kind of see it in this pic I took of Whirlwind Tour's blooms yesterday.

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

This thread is making me so happy I saved this Krossa Regal. For years the poor thing languished in a dry spot. I kept reading all these glowing reports about that particular hosta, and looked at my pathetic specimen. I thought it must have been mislabeled. A couple of years ago I noticed it had diminished so badly the leaves were the size of teaspoons. So finally I decided to do something about it. Honestly I felt like it was a waste of time. The roots were so tiny. But I potted it up and cared for it and put it back in the ground in a much better spot for the winter. Then last year we were having construction done and I had to dig it up again. It spent the winter in a pot sunk in the garden. I have now planted it in a good spot, I hope. This is what it looks like now.

• User
    9 years ago

Hey, North53! It sure came back to life given such good surroundings.

So pleased to see you are still hanging in there with us. Come back more often.

And Brandi, the KR you have looks vigorous and happy. You said it well...it has a lot of zaza zoom!

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

Thanks, moccasin, for the welcome. I browse here lots. Love looking at the pictures. But I only have a few hostas. I have a small yard and I seem to have chosen giants. Not too smart, lol.

• User
    9 years ago

I remember you because you live near the 53d latitude north. And that is pretty darn far away from here.

If you like them giant sized, go for it. They will give you room to underplant some small hosta or set containers of other plants in their shade.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It has an unusual blue color for sure. I am told I have it in just the right amount of sun... Not too much, not too little. ;-) and plus the rain we've been getting this summer certainly helps keep it happy!

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    9 years ago

Krossa Regal grows like a weed for me and is one of my favorites The photo below is of the three original KR's I bought several years ago.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    9 years ago

I have 23 divisions from these three scattered here and there in the hosta patch. They are "driveway" tough and require very little care. The photo is of one of the divisions near a red maple tree. it's not in a Spin-Out bag and does quite well' as does the Elegans seedling on the right. The Gld. Std. in the foreground is in a Spin-Out material bag.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine has a really TALL scape!! Here it is last night!