Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

For the Wheee fans!!

brandys_garden
9 years ago

I am so proud of my Wheee this year! She is in bloom right now. Attracting lots of pretty hummingbirds and butterflies and song birds. The cardinals really seem to love her as do the robins! She has really filled out beautifully now and has ruffled a couple of inches over her pot now.

Comments (19)

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

You have every reason to be proud, Brandy. She is a beauty. I've followed its progression from the photos you have posted. I hope Esther sees this post because she received Whee as a bonus plant with an order and wanted to know more about it.

DD

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Brandy got me hooked on Wheee! last year! I had to check my album and my Wheee! Didn't appear to have flowered last year, or else I completely forgot to take a pic (highly unlikely as I am snap-happy ad nauseam).

I am happy to say my Wheee! has at least three flower scapes so far.
    Here she is as of a few minutes ago while I was snapping pics of KR.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I got Wheee! this year along with some other wavy-edged ones (Joy Ride, Mini Skirt and Deliverance). I also had Stiletto, which I moved to the bed where I planted these others.

• WILDernessWen
    9 years ago

So sad, got my Whee last year after seeing yours. Unfortunately it was one of the hostas I lost over the winter. Boo hoo, WW

9 years ago

Aw, WW so sorry! :-(. You going to get another, or hit the want/need list? :-)

• tepelus
    9 years ago

My Wheee! today.

Karen

• WILDernessWen
    9 years ago

Hi Jo, I think Whee is a totally cool hosta, I just didn't know what to do with it. There was a thread on here about folks feeling the same way about
    Praying Hands. I still have Olive Bailey Langdon, Deep Blue Sea, and Brother Stefan waiting to be planted. I need to prepare another garden but I'm not sure I can muster up enough strength this summer. However, I still have one week of vacation left so you know how that story goes. WW

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

oui oui!

dkB

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's mine today.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And again with close up on blooms.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Brandy, Jo and Karen: You have such lovely Whees!
    I have no room, but what the heck. Just went ahead and bought one yesterday!

• User
    9 years ago

NHL, you can always find room for Wheee! It is a happy plant, doesn't take up much room, and I think one of these days it will be HOTY. It is growing nicely for people all over the country.
    I really like it, I am a true believer. That's a change from when I got it, thinking it might turn out like Embroidery and be difficult...however, Wheee! is a trouper and great performer.

I'll have to look closer at mine tomorrow and see if it is scaping yet.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Thanks Moc. It's nice to hear good reviews! It definitely is one of a kind. I had a chance to purchase a smaller one, but went for a bit larger one. I have noticed that when overwintering pots, if I lose one or two, it will be the ones in the smaller pots. Perhaps a larger plant and pot will have a better chance to survive the long cold winter. Well, I hope so.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Love the looks of Brady's and Jo's. Mine is three and still not ready for prime time. Maybe it will leap in 2015.

9 years ago

NHL, that IS a substantial Wheee! and I really like the blade width on yours! Welcome to the Wheee! Fan Club!

I picked mine up last year at Ego's and even then it was a hefty size ... certainly got my money's worth. It was fun watching it emerge this spring. (was watching Brandy's grow in anticipation of my own, lol.)

Mocc, I'm hoping your prediction catches hold - it has so much going for it! Like June, you can grow it in whatever location you like, it IS just a terrific performer! It definitely ranks up there with those "10-foot" identifiables.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Here is mine, purchased this year from Plant Delights.

• jennaj_z4mn
    9 years ago

I have had my eye on Whee! for a while now, but the ones that I have seen have not had a consistent margin like Lavendargrrl's. Is this something that will change/widen with age?

9 years ago

Wish I knew...mine is too young still but like with most hostas, leaves grow wider with age, so I would think the margin colour would widen as well? There are some nice pics with broader leaves/margins on google.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The margins on mine seem slimmer this year than last? I am guessing it is due to the wonky weather we are having? Plus it got a late start. Maybe that effects it? I don't know?

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor