Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Just under the blade!

I just finished mowing the lawn in the back, put the mower away, came back to find this itty bitty leaf sticking right out of the ground! This is right in the walking path!

I don't know how it got there, or much less, how it escaped the mower blade or our feet! That is such a trodden area - at first I thought it was just a leaf and bent down to pick it up but it wouldn't budge!.

Anyone have a like experience?

I guess I'll dig it up and pot or plant it. :-)

Pics not great, too bright out there but it looks like a GE...maybe a seedling!

Comments (13)

• esox48
    9 years ago

That's pretty cool. It appears to be a streaked volunteer. Any streakers nearby?

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Must've been spared for some reason. Could be destined to be a star!

What a cool experience and hope to go through something just like that someday.

• spazmelda
    9 years ago

Aw, poor thing! It will be so happy to be moved!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Better close-up - I had a couple of streakers in the vicinity, Spilt Milk being the closest...this is only an inch to an inch and a half tall..

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

That's so cool. You'll have to post pics later of it after it's recouped from the move and unfurled a bit more. Very weird.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Seedling? A wayward eye accidentally planted there? If it turns out to be unique you'll have to name it 'Close Shave'.

tj

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

You planted it to deep !

:P

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I have numerous amounts of seedlings but all green so far. Lucky you! OR maybe Ken's ghost planted it in the driveway.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TJ, you are too funny! Laughed out loud at that comment. I AM going to call it that! I love that name, it is just so fitting! Lol

Leafwatcher, you think? Lol

Thanks, Funn - yes, it is weird. How in the heck did it end up there? You bet I'll be posting a progress pic of lol...lol... "Close Shave". Remember this name, folks!

Spazmelda, you're a softy too!

Hostatakeover, like those positive thoughts!

Esox, it's amazing what we see and don't see, isn't it? I automatically thought of GE with the creamy yellow centre, not really seeing the streak that you picked out. It will be fun to watch it grow.

Thank you all for your comments and interest. :-)

Jo

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Close Shave is perfect! Looking forward to seeing this little guys progression!

• WILDernessWen
    9 years ago

Jo, That is just way to cute. I'd be afraid to move it. Don has 95 posts for naming his gold hosta. TJ hit it out of the park with Close Shave. When it sports you'll have Shaving Cream, 12 O'clock Shadow, etc, etc. The fun never ends, WW

• User
    9 years ago

I'll remember that one, Jo. You are coming up with such interesting little seedling finds. Even in the walking path. Is your driveway paved?

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

This came up last year, and promptly disappeared. Up again, its largest leaf is the siZe of a half dollar. Its such a bright yellow with a small green edge so far. The best thing is, its in my backyard, with few hosta in a heuchera garden.
    These are its potential parentage, Autumn Frost, Ice Age Trail, Pineapple Upsidown Cake, Rainbow's End, Curley Fries.