Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalija_gw

Got a Regal Splendor today...

kalija
10 years ago

This morning I finished up my moms front rose gardens. I wish I had remembered my camera, because even though its a rose garden not a hosta garden, I am really proud of my work. We planted 6 rose bushes and a bunch of coneflowers and foxgloves... I also wanted to take pics of her hosta gardens that I finished last weekend - will have to do that later.
Anyhow, when I finished it all up, my mom brought out a HUGE pot with a Regal Splendor in it that she had bought to thank me. She did NOT have to do that, I really enjoyed doing it for her, but you know Moms - there was no saying no to her! So here it is - I really have no idea where I am going to plant it! Its already quite big.

{{gwi:1032430}}
Anyone have any suggestions for placement? I have one area where I have been kind of toying with experimenting with hosta, but it gets sun from about noon on, although it is indirect sun for much of that time. I know Regal Splendor is on the sun tolerant list but I don't know if she would look her best there. Any houghts or suggestions? I also have a June and a Autumn Frost that I bought last weekend that I still have to find room for... So many hostas and so little shade - yikes!

{{gwi:1032431}}

Comments (13)

• esox48
    10 years ago

Few have begun with a Regal Splendor that large. And it's going to get bigger. If you are short on shade, you want to plant Regal Splendor in a lot of sun. It will take it with a smile.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Wow... I've dug some big Regal Splendors,,, that was some very heavy work - and I don't know how they managed to cram the supporting root ball into a pot. The roots must have been pruned and/or folden over to get them to fit.

I'd keep it watered, and feed it dilute liquid fertilizer if it has to stay in the pot for any time. Regal Splendor, to me, gives its best display of the blue and good cream margins in shade. With more sun, it tends to lose its blue wax, but it is still a gorgeous plant.

• User
    10 years ago

What a fine gift! Your mom is a special lady.

If you are in a zone where the sun is moderate enough to allow planting the hosta in it, you have the option of watching it grow but lose its blue look. If, however, your site gets too hot this year, think about staking an umbrella to shade it from the hot late day sunshine. I've used a child's umbrella with a push-in-the-ground fence post and tie wrapped the umbrella to the post. For new plants, it works, and doesn't look weird at all. :)

Let us see what arrangement you come up with for all your new hosta.

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Kalija, I too have a Regal Splendor and a Sagae waiting to be planted. I have 3 Kross Regal planted in a row. I was going to move the middle one out and plant RS in between. Wish mine was half as big as yours. Good post. I hope more peeps pipe in. WW

• kalija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Idiothe - I guess I was assuming it was grown in the pot? Didn't think about the roots possibly being cut...I will make sure to keep it well watered untill I plant it. It is really big - I have never seen such a large hosta for sale! I do actually have some under-utilized shadey spots but just haven't finished them yet. I'm really kind of tempted to put her in the sunnier spot though and see what happens... I already have a sagae and a sun power in there..... I don't want to have to move her later though! It is going to be a job just to plant it now!

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Whoa, what a hosta! I never see 'for sale' hosta that size. Well, except for a couple that I bought at a rummage/ estate sale and I had to dig 'em.

Kalija, I think you're right--that the hosta was grown in that pot. I've moved several Krossa Regals that were that size or larger and I can't imagine fitting the roots in a pot that size.

RS has been at the top of my Wish List for quite a while. What a beauty you have there! Mom did good, real good!!

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I'm sure you guys are right - I'll bet that plant was grown in that pot. I was just thinking of a a row of six that size that I dug out and hacked up over one summer a few years back and I thought about how hard they were to pot with the giant root systems.

When you do put this in the ground, kalija, I suspect you will find quite a mass of roots and little soil mix. Sometimes a plant that has been grown potbound will tend to keep growing in a small space, wrapping around. To support this huge plant, you want the roots to sprea out to a large area of nutrients and water. I'd tease the roots out , loosening up the ball and spreading at least some of them out to radiate out into a very large hole.

And remember - this big boy will be a heavy feeder and you only have one chance to amend the soil... so a really big hole full of well mixed soil and compost will pay benefits for decades to come.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

what a beauty! I see lawn that could go if you have run out of room. This one deserves a very special place where you an see the total plant including the stocks

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Wow, that is a great gift! Really beautiful.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I got this plant years ago,when I didn't know one hosta from another. It was pictured and the label said Diamond Tiara. Well,I know better now,and it has turned out to be a very nice Regal Splendor. Notice how tall it grows in my garden. Phil

{{gwi:1032432}}

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow, your mom's awesome!!

Jealous,
    Don B.

• kalija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phil, your Regal Splendor is beautiful! I wish I had such a natural looking place for my hostas. Don (and everyone..) yes - my Mom IS awesome - she has worked hard all her life; and my parents had to move several times. When they finally got this home and decided to stay here, she wanted nice gardens. Its been a lot of work but very enjoyable to share with her. She pretty much let me plant whatever I thought would work out good. I just have to get mulch down on everything and we are done there.... As for MY regal splendor - I have decided where to put her but I need to get the spot ready - hopefully by this weekend it will be ready. Darn work takes up too much of my time! Thanks for all the nice comments!

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Kalija, I'm just being curious. Would you ever consider splitting that hosta in half right from the start and having 2 RS? Even half would be way bigger than my new 3 eyed RS. Just wondering, WW