Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samnsarah

Hostas a growing fast

Tim
10 years ago

I am farely new at growing hostas. In fact this is the second season I have been growing them. All of the hostas in these photos I planted as liners last April, except for the Blue Angel, which I planted as a liner in October 2011. My hosta beds are a work in progress, and I'm trying to find more places to create new hosta beds. In the mean time here are pics of a few of my hostas in my tiny hosta collection.

American Sweetheart Hosta

Abiqua Drinking Gourd Hosta (slowest growing hosta I have)

Blue Angel Hosta

Stained Glass Hosta

Guacamole Hosta

Comments (9)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

You have some nice selections! I love the Stained Glass! Very pretty!

Linda

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Linda.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Those are all lovely hostas. They will enrich your life... you will see.

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

That Guacamole will be expanding quickly...

It looks like you have some great plants, I really like stained glass, I think you will to.

I bought one small A Drinking Gourd, it is coming along, and I was lucky enough to find a Drinking Gourd that was nearly root locked in a gallon container.. I worked it loose, and it has been a decent plant since year one... HANG IN THERE!

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Great job growing the liners. Mine took two years to get that size.

Gesila

• User
    10 years ago

Great selections, and you keep very neat flower beds as well. Pine straw is a great mulch. Especially if it is free. :)

I'm in my 2nd year of hosta growing to the point of addiction. I tell my DH, at least it keeps me out of trouble.

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

irawon, yes I really enjoy my hostas. I see how they can be so addictive.
    leafwatcher, thanks for the encouragement. I almost considered replacing the A. Drinking Gourd, but I don't, because I envision what it will ultimately look like once it is big.
    Gesila, I live in SC Kansas, right in the middle of Farmtown U.S.A. We have very fertile soil here, which really helps any plant, hostas included, to grow very well.
    moccasinlanding, thanks for the kind words. I am really meticulous about my flower beds; not quite OCD, but pretty close. The pine straw is free! I get it from a park across the street. However, I have learned that pine straw does not deter slugs. I still pick those slimy critters off my hostas. And actually gardening gets me into trouble some times, like when I am watering my plants when my wife is taking a shower...I usually get an ear full later about how she had no water pressure. lol

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Looks like you are off to a great start with some good choices, too. I especially love Blue Angel.
    Of course you realize that this hobby will end up addicting you with no interest in rehab? lol

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sidney. Yeah, I will probably have to grow some hostas in pots to take with me to the retirement home some day. lol