Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

It matters where you buy

bkay2000
9 years ago

I bought a Cathedral Windows from Hallson's this spring. I bought a Cathedral Windows from a "not to be named" hosta dealer in 2009. It died this winter after many years of just sitting there.

It may just be my environment, but when I get little bitty hosta they just seem to stall out and never really grow much. These hosta are in the same size pot.

bk

The one from Hallson's:

The one from "ntbn" after 4 years

Comments (9)

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Yeah, I ordered a few from Bluestone Perennials for my first online hosta order (plus some other plants). Blue Angel, Wide Brim, and Halcyon were stunted forever. Paul's Glory and August Moon ended up being the wrong plants. I doubt I'd ever be tempted to order like that again.

Of course, most of my hosta declines have not been the fault of the plant but my evil rabbits. Manhattan, Nancy, Dancing Queen, Queen Josephine, Rainbow's End, Elvis Lives, Irish Luck, and Feather Boa have all been vandalized at some point. Only the really strong hostas come back from it.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, there aren't many advantages to living in the city, but no rabbits, no deer and recycling pickup happen to be three of them.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I think it is because Hallson Gardens grows them for a few years, instead of selling first year plants. All of the duds die off and what Chris sends out are the strong survivors.

-Babka

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Interesting, I also bought from a not to be named seller who sent very small plants. They have not thrived at all. Now, I also have several from NH hostas, whose plants are not field grown and large like Hallson's, but they have all done really well. Not sure what the magic ingredient is...but given the choice I would always prefer to start with a larger plant.

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

I concur with what has already been stated. I much prefer to buy a plant that has already rounded first, and preferably second base! That way, you know that unless something unfortunate happens, to set the plant back, you're not going to be left nursing a "struggling to prosper or survive" hosta. However, it then depends on where you live, and the number and quality of the nurseries that surround you, as to whether you can find the ones on your list that have benefited from that "good start." I prefer to see the hostas that I purchase, so that I can make the choice to buy or wait. You'd think that there would be many options for me, living in an ideal hosta growing environment such as Vancouver. However, that's not the case, so on-line sellers then become an option. That said, the perils of travelling can set plants backwards. Also, from what I've read on this forum, there's plenty of recommendations for those of you buying plants in the States,(certain names crop up repeatedly) but not so much information available regarding Canadian sellers (and there are fewer to choose from). My experience, like those who have already posted is somewhat hit and miss.
    Just my musings...
    BC

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I have similar stories. I usually buy field divisions, then you know mama was able to grow all up.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

There are many who would disagree with that statement.and I would be one. I have grown hostas from reputable nurseries including Wade and Gatton,and they have not survived. WandG sent me four plants,and of the 4 only one survived,and that was not right after being planted. I have many plants from bagged hostas from Wal-Mart,and Lowes that are still thriving. You either can grow some plants,or you can't! Some plants,no matter how much baby them,will not survive the first year,and that's even if they were correctly planted.Just MHO. Phil

• valtorrez
    9 years ago

I also disagree. I typically buy locally from nurseries but also from Lowes/Home Depot. The only problem I have had with big store purchases is that sometimes they are misnamed. Other than that, all my hostas have thrived. I only have two that I am having problems out of but I now realize that is due watering issues. All the other ones in that bed are overgrown and came from big box stores.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I also buy from local sources, including Lowe's. I've never found a hosta at Walmart or Home Depot that interested me. They only carry the green one and the green one with the white edge or some totally unsuitable hosta like Brim Cup, but I usually look. I buy mostly from local independent nurseries. They are carrying more hosta than ever before. What I like about that is I can see what I'm buying. I really like getting the larger specimens that you can't get through the mail.

There are so many dedicated hosta growers I've never bought from. I've probably bought from only 6 dedicated hosta growers. Of those 6 growers, three have sent me little bitty plants, or mislabeled plants or poor specimens. I probably bought 15 plants from those three growers. Two of those three were given the chance to replace the plants, and neither chose to do that. I figured the remaining one knew the size of the plants he sent me and what he charged me for them, so I didn't see any point in complaining to him about it. Of that 15 plants, I still have 4. The rest died. A couple of them were thrown them away. They weren't what I ordered and were ugly on top of it. In all fairness, Cleo was responsible for a couple of those losses.

I've had really good luck with Blew Perennials. A local chain nursery (Calloway's) is carrying them. Blew calls Guacamole The Painted Hosta and call Allan P. McConnell something or another, but they provide great plants. It has been said on this forum that Blew buys from Walter's. I'm not sure of that. I'm sure that I've gotten some great big hosta that have performed well for me. My 3 year old Striptease is the first one of those I bought. It's a nice, big, fat, full pot. It was just $16.99. The price has stayed the same for the last 3 years. They run specials for 1/2 price for a weekend or 20% off for a day through the season. I'm really pleased with what they have sold me.

My point was that all dedicated hosta growers are not equal.

bk

my Striptease today that was not prepped for a photo