Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhaven_gw

Rob's Lakeside Hostas

dhaven
12 years ago

Last year I placed my first order with Rob's Lakeside Hostas, 7 Lakeside OS minis, and was delighted to receive 42 divisions in total! This year I ordered 14 mostly medium and large varieties, and got the order last week. What a treat! Every last plant was good sized, had excellent roots, and came through the shipping beautifully. They were shipped Monday, arrived Wednesday, got planted that same day, and are doing great--not a wilty, unhappy looking hosta in the bunch. And the size of the plants was very generous, especially considering that the prices were quite reasonable. Luna Moth, Rainbow's End and Purple Haze are very robust triples, most of the rest are large doubles, and Lakeside Down Sized OS was such a nice clump that I was able to divide it into 6 pieces, several of them doubles. The double division of Viking Ship was almost 30 inches tall, the Sutter's Mill is almost 20 inches tall. Root systems are uniformly excellent, profuse and healthy.

Rob is also very aware of the HVX problem, and tests every batch he gets, also doing testing on his mature plants. He has hundreds and hundreds of varieties, some of which are on the Hosta Library auction site, but I was able to get several hostas I've been wanting for years as well. Communication was excellent, he responds to emails promptly, service was excellent, and the plants may be the nicest I have ever received in 30 years of ordering hostas. And no, for all you cynics out there, I am not in any way associated with this place, I'm just delighted to find a new source of hostas that is reliable and has great plants, good prices, an amazing selection, and excellent service. I'll be ordering from Rob again next year, and hopefully for years to come.

Comments (14)

• alyciaadamo
    12 years ago

Same thing here. Rob is my #1 Hosta place. I like other places too but Rob's plants by far are the biggest the only other person that has even compars is tnifong1 on eBay! I got Krossa Regal and Guacamole last year from Rob and they were rock bottom prices for 4(KR) and 7(Guac.) eyes! This year BOTH OF THEM are HUGE!! I just got a whole bunch of hostas from him last week and I am more than impressed with all of them. My Goodness Gracious is AWEEEE-SOMEEEE!!!! Of all the Hosta growers that people talk about on here I don't think Rob gets enough credit. You know actually I think maybe it's because everyone wants to keep him a secret for themselves
    I hope I can get more too(only I hope it's more like later this summer )

sorry I really like smileys

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Do the two of you wish to share a little linky to the secret website? I searched online and found info that he bought the name and everything else but I couldn't find a website for him.

Thanks,
    Frank

• alyciaadamo
    12 years ago

Rob does not have a website but he does have a facebook page Lakeside Acres you will have to email him

• donrawson
    12 years ago

I visited Rob's Lakeside Acres last week and he was very willing to show me through his garden. He has a ton of plants and some which I just drooled over. He was kind enough to replace one plant I lost last year and is an excellent source for anyone who wants a good deal on hostas. Thank you, Rob. He can be reached through email, phone, or Facebook. Or through the GardenWeb Forum.

Don

• TheHostaCottage
    12 years ago

He's also selling a lot of different plants on the hosta library auction.

• dhaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

alyciaadamo--I've been drooling over the Goodness Gracious plants he has on the HL auctions--it's definitely on my list for next year's order. I keep telling myself I'm done ordering for this year, but somehow I keep checking those auction listings. The LS Prophecy is very tempting also. I got LS Dividing Line this year, it's been on my wish list for a while, and now he's listing some of the seldom seen Lakesides--makes it hard to resist.

• alyciaadamo
    12 years ago

dhaven I so agree, I find myself caving in and I think there might be some packages I might have to keep from my husband soon

• alyciaadamo
    12 years ago

I just got some of these this month then the KR and Guac from last year

Sally and Bob

Saras Sensation

Luna Moth

Komodo Dragon

Guacamole I got last year as a 8 eyes(BTW $5) this year as 12

Krossa Regal I got as a 5 eyes($10) this year is 7 eyes

• Janice
    12 years ago

I've placed an order with Rob, (yesterday) and found him to be a really nice person to talk hosta with and to communicate with in general.
    I believe him to be a man of integrity, based on our conversations! I love it when I find someone like that, not only to do business with,
    but, better yet, to get to know!

I can't wait to see what I get--I know I'll not be disappointed! Now--where in the world will I put these new plants when they arrive???

• Janice
    12 years ago

Oh, (I meant to say this in my previous message) thank you, 'dhaven' for the heads up about Rob!
    It's so nice to have someone highly recommended by folks who know hosta and know when they
    receive good specimens from a hosta source!

• woodthrush
    12 years ago

Rob sells a lot on the Hosta Auction also.

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

hey j.
    I have room,ha ha
    cAROL

• Janice
    12 years ago

Oh, I bet you do, cAROL! I mean REALLY YOU DO!!! I'm jealous of your place, and the space you have but, as I told McTavish, just today, perhaps I'm thankful I don't have the room you and she and others have. I mean, we ARE retired and on a fixed income and it's fast becoming a broken income these days, and badly in need of fixing (if you know what I mean)! ;o))

• Janice
    12 years ago

Okay--I got my hosta from Rob today--a very fast ship, too!
    I am delighted to have such a wonderful looking 'L.S. Prophecy'
    and these others, too:

I might add, the roots filled every glass they were in--to the top! Rob knew what I wanted, as per our conversations
    and my $$ limit. I wanted, above all 'L.S. Prophecy' and I asked him to choose from what I liked that would fit within
    my limitation! I am very happy with his choices for me and it was really fun to do it that way!

A very positive experience on my end and I hope he enjoyed 'the game' with me allowing him to have free-reign in
    choosing for me--I think he might have! ;o)

janice

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022