Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_gary

H. Sweet Home Chicago, welcome!

mr_gary
10 years ago

Welcome H. Sweet Home Chicago to our back yard garden. I have had it sitting here in this spot for a week now to see how it liked the location. It did so today it got planted.
H. Sweet Home Chicago ~ View from the top

H. Sweet Home Chicago ~ View from the side

H. Sweet Home Chicago ~ Landscape view

Thanks for viewing⦠Gary

Comments (10)

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Give it room - mine is a solid 4' in diameter, though the leaves stay in the small-medium size. If it likes its place, it is a very vigorous grower.

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank's Idiothe, I'll make sure it has room.

• User
    10 years ago

Mr. Gary, you are having such good luck with sports, if your Sweet Home Chicago sports for you, would you consider something like Sweet Home Alabama for a name? :)
    That would be such an appropriate name.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Oh yes Gary, it will be brushed up against that tree in no time. Here's mine in it's 3rd year:

Gesila

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Hey, mocassin... SWC often sports to a very vigorous blue plant... same size leaves... hmmm... Sweet Home Alabama???

btw - leaving out politics, but... BB King who popularized the song Sweet Home Chicago was honored at a White House blues fest in February. You can see him on stage with many of the greatest living blues masters in this clip. And yes - that is Mick Jagger handing the microphone to the special guest singer on the reprise of Sweet Home Chicago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V6d-IVqHZs

• User
    10 years ago

Yes, Sweet Home Alabama! It would make a nice hosta name.
    Might not host many hosta conventions in Alabama, but.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Home Alabama live performance

• Eleven
    10 years ago

'Sweet Home Chicago' at Cedar Hedge Garden

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey mr gary ....

that sure looks like maple bark on that MONSTER tree ...

can you convince me otherwise????

are you aware of where that will lead???

otherwise.. THX for the pix.. and it is nice to read someone elses excitement...

ken

• User
    10 years ago

YES INDEED.
    I'm dropping in on this thread with a new idea.
    (Sorry Mr. Gary, don't plan to hijack your thread, just give it the distinction of being the FIRST one selected to initiate a new roaming idea.)

So yes. Don Rawson has all these lists, see, and some of them surround the naming of hosta which parallel movies, songs, such as that. Specifics.

Where there is a thread about a hosta such as SWEET HOME CHICAGO......and there is a song or music (Moonlight Sonata comes to mind, a classic hosta with a classic piece of music)
    it would behoove one of us....me, you, the original poster.... to post the words or music as the case may be.....to draw attention to the lists and themes of Don Rawson's Lists.

Since I'm going to lay a link on you below, I cannot here link to the lists themselves. ....

This Sweet Home Chicago is a perfect choice for first case. I mean, that is the one where Eric Clapton, the Vaughan brothers Stevie Rae and Jimmie, Buddy Guy, whew, all perform a 10 minute classic version of Sweet Home Chicago at the Crossroads Guitar Festival. It deserves to be watched in full screen stereo, but at the least open it in another window and read the forum with it as background music.

Now isn't this a great way to bring Don's Lists to life? Identify a featured hosta as having a song or music to claim same name. And post it with the link to the URL where we can listen to it for free. Let's try it and see what happens.....

Here is a link that might be useful: CrossroadsGuitar2004...Sweet Home Chicago

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank's Mocc, yes that is a great way to bring Don's Lists to life...