Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wispfox

Many hosta in need of ID!

wispfox
12 years ago

Hello, all!

I'm attempting to identify the many hosta in the garden that came with the house we bought. I was hoping y'all would be able to help!

Maybe not a hosta?

Apparently coming out from under rocks is fun!

The ruffly one hiding behind the leaves of another plant:

Thanks!

Suzanne

Comments (14)

• Gesila
    12 years ago

1st picture looks like Gold Standard.
    3rd picture looks like Elegans.
    4th picture is a Brunnera, maybe Jack Frost.
    5th picture looks like Francee.
    7th picture looks like Night Before Christmas
    All those little green/gold ones look like Golden Tiara.

Gesila

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

hi

first one .... gold standard ... the center will go towards parchment by summer end ..

we all enjoy the ID game.. but you have too many in one post.. it would take me an hour of flipping up and down .. and at that point .. it isnt a game.. FOR ME ...

if you fail to get all the answers .. i suggest no more than 3 per post ... and try again ..

i dont recognize the name.. but i dont have 20 minutes to run back to the top of the page and then back down here to type.. lol ... so WELCOME to GW and the hosta forum if i am guessing right..

ken

• Gesila
    12 years ago

I agree Ken, however, I always open up two browser windows and scroll down in one window and type my answers in another. But I did get lost counting on this one so I kind of gave up.

Gesila

• thisismelissa
    12 years ago

I agree too. Too many pics.
    Do 3-4 at a time per post and not too many NoID posts at once.
    And make sure you number them so we are all referring to the same ones.

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

#1 Gold Standard
    #2 Elegans
    #3 Anotheer Elegans?
    #4 Brunnera Jack Frost-not a hosta
    #5 Frances Williams
    #6 Francee
    #8 Undulata
    #9 Gold Standard
    #11 Another Undulata
    All the little golde edged hostas are Golden Tiaras
    The last one is another Gold Standard
    I say these names because most people plant the common ones like those in the pics. Phil

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Agree with Phil, I got lost in counting, #6 is Francee and #5 is Frances Williams.

Gesila

• LuckyKat13Gail
    12 years ago

The 8th on from the bottom looks like Gold Drops. The all green shiny ones look like Ventricosa. They are all quite beautiful. Thanks for posting and welcome. Gail

• Janice
    12 years ago

I think Phil and Gesila nailed it!!! Good job!!

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

I think change Night Before Christmas to Undulata Univittata and the solid green with slight rippling edge to Undulata Erromena.

All these are older hostas.

Paul

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Paul, I wouldn't know how to tell the difference between Undulata Univittata and NBC though. Maybe the leaves are longer and arch downward on NBC and the leaves are shorter and sometimes twist upward on UU?

Gesila

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

Gesila, do you have both? On NBC - mound is taller, leaves are longer and bigger, less shiny, and habit has a different feel.

Paul

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Thanks Paul. Very good examples. They'll be easier for me to tell apart. I only have NBC. I never really liked it, my DH picked this one out. It's growing on me, especially after seeing your pictures.

Gesila

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Thee last one looks like Janet. I just transplanted one that looks exactly like that. Also looks just like the bottom one on the hostalibrary.org Janet page.

• wispfox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Thanks, all!

And I am so sorry for having so many in one post! I didn't actually realize how many there were until I tried to number them myself.

I appreciate that you tried - and apparently succeeded! - anyway, and thanks for the suggestions for future ID requests.

And, thanks for the welcome! Yes, this is my first time posting on the hostas forum. :)

Suzanne