Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

Fire Island seedling? And other updates

brandys_garden
10 years ago

OK, the new "growth" looks different from earlier this year... It looks like it did last year. The shape and everything. Could this be a seedling. I got some pics of it. It's pretty small but I've never seen a seedling before....

I had to move my fairies because one kept falling and harming my PUD! :*(
This is where I am putting my Luna Moth when she gets here... Midwest Magic will go on the other side of Mama Mia in front of the patio.

The patio babies and other fairie statue in her new spot.
The purple string looks tacky, I know! But as soon as I get some clear ties, I am going to get her secured with those.

Minuteman has 2 scapes coming up!

And I think Wheee is getting ready to dispurse some seeds? There were flowers there which have fallen off already.

Comments (5)

• idiothe
    10 years ago

It could be a seedling. It also could be a later- emerging eye. I think the only way to know for sure would be to remove the soil and see if it is connected. I'll bet you could gently use water to remove the top inch or so to see if the crown is underground possibly a little too far. Planting too deep can encourage the crown to "ripen" more eyes.

It does look like Wheee! s seed pods are setting seed... they look like they are plumping up. They have some time to go if you want them to mature...

btw... Bill Meyer found Wheee! as a mysterious mutant in a nursery. Best guess now is that is is a sport of Leola Fraim. I don't know why Bill hasn't registered it, as he partnered with the major wholesaler, Walters Gardens, and the plant is really taking off.

whatever the circumstances, I predict Wheee! will be the most misspellled hosta in history. Ask Bill why he gave it 3 e s and an exclamation point... I'll bet Warren has covered it in his What's In A Name column but I don't remember the story....

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I think the only way to know for sure would be to remove the soil and see if it is connected.

==>>>

no... there is the non-idiotic way ...

and that is to simply observe it for the rest of the year ...

ifs its just late... no need to repot ...[unless of course it needs repotting.. then what the heck] ...

its too small to cut off if its a sports..

and just about the same if its a seedling ...

just give us an update in a month ... you will have more info them ...

doesnt fire island come up yellow??? .. if so.. what makes you think that this part.. that just popped up.. should not be FI???? ... new shoots wont pop up green.. like those old leaves.. ok.. i just confused myself.. research or hit send.. sorry.. lazy today .. lol ...

ken

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The new sports are yellow? As was my FI's leaves for the most part earlier. They've darkened with time. They are darker than the new sport or seedling or whatever it is. I'll post updates in a few weeks to let you know.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Just looks like a new eye. You won't know until you dig it up.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

As close as it is growing to the original plant, and looking just like FI as it would emerge in spring, I'm inclined to believe it's a new eye popping up.

Karen