Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonypumpkin

Hosta Christmas Tree

tonypumpkin
9 years ago

Another one for sake of viewers interest. Pop can thrown in for size comparison. Cheers.

Comments (13)

• jan_on zone 5b
    9 years ago

wow! Where do you get those cute little mini pop cans? lol
    Jan

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the leaves look too pointed for xmas tree .. compare to antioch, but i am not even sure of that suggestion ... its an oldie.. right??

otherwise.. another blistering well grown hosta..

thx for the pix

ken

ps: the lawn under them.. still confuses me ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for comments folks.

No real reason for the grass. Have a huge lot, and didn't want to mulch around them. They seem to grow well in spite of the grass. Most are grown as specimens with lots of room between. Well, there used to be lots of room between them! Lol

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ps.

Ken...are you saying this was incorrectly labeled?! Bought from a large batch of Christmas Tree.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

FWIW...I had Christmas Tree many years ago and it never had leaves that pointy.

-Babka

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Reminds me a huge Wide Brim.

Paul

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Here's what Christmas Tree looks like. I agree with Paul, looks like a huge Wide Brim. It's a beautiful hosta though!

Gesila

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

They mislabeled it, I'm afraid. However, it's big and beautiful, like all your other hostas you've posted. A local garden center is selling a Wide Brim in a big pot that's maybe, MAYBE a third the size of your plant. They're asking 75 bucks for it. I also think yours is a Wide Brim, about the biggest I've ever seen, too. I assume you feed this one meat, too? ; )

Don B.

9 years ago

its not xmas tree ...

dont get me wrong on the grass ... my typical comment.. is i see way to much grass .. time for more hosta beds ...

you skipped that whole dynamic.. and planted right in the grass ... and all the power to ya ...

i guess.. what confuses me.. is how you cut the lawn.. under the hosta??/

i picture a weedwhip and a bee or sneeze ... crikey ..

ken

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Don. Another mislabeled hosta I guess! I will make note of the new name. It is a large one for sure (a little over 4 feet across).

Ken. . .I am pretty careful when i cut the grass around them, but I am looking to finally mulch around these guys and create a better setting for all of them. When I first planted them I wanted to break up the monotony of the grass in that corner of the yard. . .and so I dug some holes and they grew quite well and now I may need to re-evaluate and maybe mulch and plant some new ones in between. As I said they are getting root bound and protruding from the soil like mole hills--not this particular one, but some of the largest ones.

Any suggestion?

9 years ago

As I said they are getting root bound and protruding from the soil like mole hills--not this particular one, but some of the largest ones.

==>>> a new post ...

what do you mean.. root bound ... how can a plant in mother earth be such????

i might have some ideas ... but lets put it under a searchable title.. so others might learn ...

ken

• serenitycove
    9 years ago

I agree. That is not Christmas Tree. Here is mine.

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Another vote for NOT Christmas Tree. Sorry! But if you want Christmas Tree, I have an extra you can come get!