Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

Think of culling that one, how are your Abiqua Moonbeam?

linaria_gw
9 years ago

Hi there
that one got IDed in this forum as Abiqua Moonbeam. I read up on this cultivar and was pleased to have a kind of old classic in my tiny collection.

But that plant looks bad the third year in a row. I always thought that it may just need some more time. It looks like it was in a car accident really early in the season, did not clump up very much and is in this spot for 5 years. It is also a slug magnet in my border, El Nino, June, Royal Standard, Dark Star all do much better.

1) do yours form a nicer mound or is it supposed to look like that?
2) has it a reputation as a fou fou plant?

Funny thing, my Great Expectation really does well, now its third year and thriving, 3 feet away from it.

I think I digg up that boring plant and get a June Fever instead.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, bye, Lin

Comments (10)

• altheatime
    9 years ago

Hi Lin!

I planted a couple many years ago to keep clematis roots cool. They're by a wall, pretty hot sunny spot and have grown really well! I've divided them a few times already and need to again. I think they're beautiful and have been very hardy.

Here's a photo, excuse the leaf damage - we've had hail (and the cats like to nap under their leaves :-)

• altheatime
    9 years ago

Here's another one. I'm more of a "mover" than "culler," though :-)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Keeper for me.

Paul

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

I agree with Paul. This one is a keeper. I wonder if the variation in appearance has to do with growing conditions. My mature plant is in almost complete shade and the pale green never goes to yellow. Here is a pic from last year.

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

wonder why pauls lacks all puckering.. at that age????

what did Churchill say..

a taco wrapped in a burrito smothered in guacamole???

or something like that

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Something really doesn't look right about you AM. Is it cold damaged? Is it frying in afternoon sun? That leaf in the middle left looks like cold damage, but usually those are on the edges or hidden down in the middle by now.

Is it one of those that gets frosted every spring?

bk

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Ken, I would have never dreamed Churchill knew so much about Mexican food ! ;)

As for my Moonbeam, he ain't no Governor.. but he does attract a second look now and then. I guess its not so much a leading man as a good side kick...Of course sometimes the side kick gets the girl.....

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I had an Abiqua Moonbeam, it was doing great, and the VOLES took it. I'd try one again, for sure.

The best quotes EVER came from Winston Churchill.

Don B.

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone,
    some really nice pics or specimen you posted.

The smooth leaves of Paul's plant are interesting, but mine does get puckered leaves, so at least that is normal.

Besides I noticed that all other AM did not show any variation in the leaf color.

Next question: those all-yellow leaves wirh dark blobs, are they some sport or are there other factors that trigger changing color patterns in just one leaf.

Otherwise, about growing conditions in my hosta bed:
    Fairly sheltered, no problems with late frost,
    lots of light, very littly direct sun light, morning I think, around noon the sun has wandered to the back of the border, powering my Royal Standard.

Stepping on it was a problem 2 years ago. Perhaps I should add a very noticable marker or bamboo stick. Other people move about in the yard.

I guess I will take a closer look at it at the weekend, whether something is off or funny around it and perhaps replant in September.

Thanks,

bye, Lin

Th

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Your plant looks like 3 or 4 of my hostas this year : plants grow small and have many curved healthy leaves. It is probably not the climate, because yours is so much warmer than here. I think that in my case it might be particular soil conditions. Mine I probably will dig up, wash roots, 10% bleach bath, then fresh soil in pots.
    Good luck!
    Bernd