Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

tempted to add more

hostanista
10 years ago

I'm tempted to add more to this new bed. Should I just leave well enough alone?

Comments (6)

• coll_123
    10 years ago

I think it looks good. I would move El Niño to the front, in between wide brim And Janet, and then maybe move Blue Umbrellas back a smidge towards where you had el niño . That would give BU room to mature into its big self.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

ActuAlly, I'd move Janet left towards Wide Brim and move El niño Close to Janet's original spot..l don't think I'd like el niño right next to wide brim.

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

Don't add more, unless you have room to move them WHEN they become overcrowded.

Looks good!

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Yes and no. The spacing on those Hosta look fine to me. If you want to fill the spaces in between while they get big use annuals or something easy to move like Heuchera or ferns.

Now, what is that ground cover? Is it Pachysandra? If this were my garden I'd be pulling out that pachy and planting Hosta right up to the base of that tree, unless of course that's a maple. Then the ground cover makes sense.

Your mileage may vary.

Steve

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Coll_ I think you're right about moving Janet over a bit closer to Wide Brim and then El Nino into the Janet hole.

Steve - yes I was thinking of incorporating some flowing Japanese Hakone Grass here and there while waiting for the hostas to mature.

As for that ground cover, in that area it's mostly periwinkle, but yes you have a good eye, there is some Pachysandra mixed in. There's also a ton of ivy to the right of the park bench. The tree is a spruce. There is so much more room to the right of that bench - other new beds just made this year (picture below shows another small section) - that I don't need to rip out the ground cover just yet. Maybe once I become as experienced as you I will need that space to expand my collection!

Thanks again.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh my, that is already a beautiful space. As you have approached expanding it to this point, the curved shape makes it easier to add another bit later, much like a sea shell grows.
    Sort of a nautilus bed.