Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speaking of Behemoth

Posted by Gesila MI Z5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 15:35

This year, the long arching leaves of Behemoth are tickling my fancy and giving me the urge to add to my collection. I lost my Behemoth over the winter and can't find one locally. I will be on the look-out for one when I start traveling at the end of the month.

In the meantime, I was looking for hostas that have the long arching leaves like Behemoth. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Gesila

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speaking of Behemoth

• Posted by Ludisia 7a Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 18:38

Gesila,

I would recommend Mikado as a look-a-like for Behemoth.

Here is the link to a REALLY old post showing a very mature Mikado.

H. ‘Mikado’

This post is the reason I bought mine. I got it last year from Chick @ Bridegwood.

It seems to be a slow grower thus far, not putting on too much growth from last year when compared to some of my other first years. Then again, it also had some rotted roots this spring I noticed when I repotted it out of the topsoil mess I created. I imagine that set this year’s growth back a bit.

There are also hostas King Michael and King James, but I’m not sure you will be able to find those ones since they are such old cultivars.

There is some ongoing dispute that hostas: King Michael, King James, and Mikado are all really the same plant. Is this true ? I have no idea.

It’s the montana heritage you are after with the long languid leaves. So, if none of these I’ve mentioned come up on a vendor search, look for montana in the lineage.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up deciding on. :)

Ludi

My youngling ‘Mikado’ on 05/30/2013

P5300044

And a very old King Michael I saw while up in Michigan

P6030155

o

Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 18:43

OMG . . . I just noticed who the original author was from that old Mikado post . . .

It’s Sidney1515 . . . who I noticed has been posting recently !!!

I’m totally calling them out to post a new picture of Mikado since that one was from 2009.

o

How about montana f. macrophylla. This is a four year old. . not too old yet.

montana f. macrophylla photo montanafmacrophylla.jpg

or Mikado

'Mikado' photo Mikado_.jpg

or King Michael

photo KingMichael.jpg

o

I must stay off this forum. We have Nate the Great for my DH's son and Sir Richard for my youngest. Now I see King Michael, for my oldest. But I need both Behemoth and Mikado now.

Thanks Ludi. I saw your post to Sidney.

Gesila

o

Yeah, Ludi has been doing his homework in the forum archives. I noticed the return of Sidney1515 as well......a welcome return for sure. Hope to see a lot of Sidney in the coming months. Like Gesila, who can resist one or more or all the above?

If I could have ONE, which would it be? Or throw Empress Wu into the options. NOW which one? This is getting critical. Should I cancel the remodel of our house and look for another with a larger garden? Maybe an AIR CONDITIONED garden?

o

Sidney, that King Michael is sweet! That is a must have!

Your montana f. macrophylla is gorgeous. My montana f. macrophylla is flat. The lamium is taller than my montana, no arching leaves here:

photo montanafmacrophylla20130612_zps92dd49c8.jpg

Gesila

o

This may be a wee bit off topic for the original post in this thread but...speaking of archives - is there a way to search for a particular user's posts?
For example: I would like to see more of UK's pics from prior years. I am searching for the name of the bright yellow pie crust edge hosta that he has.

o

My vote for best green with large leaves, upright form, arching leaves... would be Niagara Falls. It won the ultra-prestigious Benedict Award last year.

I don't have NF, but I have War Paint and it is a special favorite. It starts off in the spring with the form of NF, but with a multicolored light center - very striking. It will, over just a few weeks, go completely green. Some folks are bummed by that, but since when it becomes all green it is a dead ringer for the very-elegant Niagara Falls, I don't consider it a detriment. I just think of it as getting 2 hostas for the price (and space) of one.

Chris of Hallsons has said that he has two nametags... in his display garden, he marks War Paint in the spring. When it turns green, he replaces the tag with one for Niagara Falls to avoid confusing nursery visitors...

o

Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 22:06

WOW Sidney, who knew you were hoarding these amazing hostas ?!?!

Where in the world did you find a King Michael ? I would love to have one of my own.

That macrophylla is gorgeous as well.

Thanks so much again for sharing your gentle giants. :)

Ludi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here