BareYard2012-06-19_14-20-09_438

Front yard after Hostas:
NWsideOfDriveway2012-06-19_14-20-58_659

ahhhhhhhh,

hh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Before and After

What and improvement! It looks like someone planted those poor trees in straight lines like good little soldiers. Yuck! You've created a wonder. Myrle

o

WOW! I sure wish I could look out my front door and see all that serene beauty! I would probably spend all the daylight hours I was at home wandering thru them and admiring them all - it is really gorgeous!
BettyLu

o

Impressive. It looks as if your front yard was part of a pine farm. Nice look and ready made mulch. You can file your hostas by row and number like buried treasure in old orchards.

o

Just gorgeous! So much talk on these forums about root competition. I don't care- I love the way hosta look under trees.

o

So glad you remembered to take a before pic!!! What a difference a hosta makes!!! Very nice.

o

Wow! Stunning, it is so beautiful and you have so much space to play with, I am jealous :) How much time elapsed between the photos?

o

Wow! Looks beautiful. How many years from before to after and how many hosta? I am so impressed!

o

Wow! Looks beautiful. How many years from before to after and how many hosta? I am so impressed!

o

Time frame is 1997 to now.

hh

o

Unbelievable! Absolutely gorgeous transformation!!! Was it a pine tree farm before? Amazing!

Karen

o

To answer a couple of questions:

Yes, this is a traditional CCC depression era tree planting in northern MI.

First Hostas planted in 1997.

As to 'how many Hostas', even though I did a database using my wife's garden maps winter b4 last, I don't know the total number of Hostas. I do know that there are over 850 different varieties, but since there are several of such as 'June', 'Sagae', S&S, and so forth, I'd only have to guess that there's over 1500 total Hostas planted here.

That makes me wonder if I could re-design the database to figure that out.

Naw, I'm gonna let that idea go, sorry, teehee.

Bottom line, you don't HAVE TO put up with a boring brown front yard. It may take some time, but with a little planting here and there over the years, you can replace boring brown with lush intriguing greens/blues,yellows, etc.

hh

o

Civil Conservation Corps for you youngun's. Google it.

Steve

o

Stunning! You must have a good sized piece of property. What kind of trees are those?

Deanna

o

wowsers... jealously

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here