Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandysoil_2008

Starting from Scratch

Spring of last year is when I started gardening at my new house. Nothing was planted in the back yard except for hydroseeded grass. The bottom of the yard is in shade most of the day except from about 2 PM on. There are some small trees are growing on the west side of the fence so I should have more shade in a year or two. Here's a photo taken last spring after planting some pieris, astilbes, leucothoe and rhododendrons.

Now here's a photo taken last summer after planting lots of hostas, ferns, toad lilies and turtle heads.

Well, after lurking on here for quite a while, I was bitten by the hosta bug and decided I wanted one of everything. But I was running out of room so I rehomed lots of albomarginatas and multiples of cultivars that I had. They went to the local plant swap and were snatched up quickly.

I bought Cherry Berry, Dancing Queen, Fire and Ice, Fire Island, Frances Williams, Krossa Regal, Liberty, Paul's Glory, Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Praying Hands, Sagae, Whirlwind and Wolverine.

I'm already eyeing a piece of lawn next to the east fence for more hostas next year!

Thanks everyone for all the knowledge that I've acquired on this forum.

Comments (30)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

aw man... did we enable you .... OR WHAT!!!!.l. lol ..

can you snap the same pic as #1 for a before/after ...

welcome to the club

ken

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Nice work. I think you can squeeze a few more in there.

Beverly

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea Ken. I'll take that photo when all the hostas have been planted.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Sandy,

Is that woodchip mulch in the Hosta bed? If so you've really been paying attention to Ken. Where in MA are you located? Do you still have sandy soil?

Steve

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Great before and after shots. They will just get better.

bk

Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve, I'm in Holbrook right around the corner from Cochato's. I was there earlier in the spring and may have to go again when I figure out how many more hostas I can squeeze in!

That is rabbit bedding in the hosta bed. It has cedar shavings and lots of bunny poop which is great fertilizer.

The sandysoil name is from when I was living in south Plymouth near the Canal. My soil was almost pure sand and difficult to garden with. I'm so happy that I now have real dirt - even with all the New England rocks!

Sheila

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Nice big planting area! Can't wait to see them grow.

• User
    10 years ago

Well well well, a victim of a "silent contagion" for hosta!
    Welcome and thanks for coming forward with your lovely garden. You really started with a blank slate, and created something lovely. You are going to enjoy your new garden. Stick with us, because we love to watch gardens grow.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

If I lived in Holbrook near Cochato, I would have very little money left. You are showing great restraint.

Steve

Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve, we'll see how much restraint I have the next time I go!
    Sheila

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

Well first of all, good for you for giving the hosta some room to spread out. You'll thank yourself in about 2-3 more years. With all that sun, you're going to have rather full gardens!

Be sure to do the same in your new beds!

Welcome to the hostaholics hangout!.... well, at least welcome to the contributing side of it!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the after picture that Ken wanted to see.

{{gwi:1034554}}

I went to Cochato's last Sunday. I took home Niagara Falls, Sun Power, Stained Glass, Paradigm, Rainbow's End and Lakeside Paisley Print.

{{gwi:1034555}}

They're all in the ground and it looks like I have room for one more. So I'll be going back to Cochato.

This post was edited by sandysoil_2008 on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 12:47

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I thought I posted to this thread but its not here.

Thanks for the update. I like the hosta you chose. When you go back to Cochato, check out some blues. A frosty blue would complement your shiny greens and yellows nicely

Beverly

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Nice!

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i dont give the remaining grass... long odds on a long life... lol ...

may as well incorporate that fruit tree into the bed ... lol ..

and while you are at it.. may as well work on the corner curve on the left ....

great job.. thx

ken

Original Author
    10 years ago

Don, thanks!

Beverly, I do have a couple of Bressingham Blues and several NOID blues but a frosty blue would complement the yellows and greens. Any suggestions?

Ken, you and I think alike. I am going to work on the corners and extend the bed. That's for next year though.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Sheila, you have a gorgeous setting there! Your hosta garden is beautiful to look at and the variety you've chosen is amazing. It's an impressive garden. BTW...Love the look of your Niagara Falls.

I noticed the netting on your wooden ladder...is it there to provide support for an edible plant by any chance? ....I'm imagining sitting on the deck ..then reaching over and plucking the 'harvest'!

Thank you for the visual treat this morning! Looking forward to seeing your garden grow!
    Jo

• User
    10 years ago

I do not see a ladder at all. Jo, what am I missing here? Netting? Hmmmm, I saw no link to a photo album. I'm stumped.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo, good eyes! What you see is an old wooden ladder that I got at a yard sale for $3. I tacked chicken wire up both sides and now have a very sturdy frame for my cucumbers! I have four plants on it and it's producing cucumbers faster than I can eat them! In the fall I just fold it up and put it in the basement. Stronger and cheaper than anything I could buy!

Mocc, you can just see the top of the ladder by the deck railing.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Moc didn't even see the deck; she has tunnel vision when there are hosta in the picture.

Jon

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

LOL Jon....I was also dazzled, like Moc but saw the netting...I use it stapled to my fence, Sheila as support for my clematis. I would love to have an old wooden ladder kicking around...hard to come by....love the creative use of it...way to go :-

We have half a dozen of the same hosta. Have you seen a Flemish Sky in your hunt for hosta? It is a powdery grey/blue and beautiful with wavy leaves and retains this colour when sited in shade..not a Large one. Wondering what you'd think of it..:-)

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Very nice! You (and us) will be very glad for the 'progression' photos as time passes.

Suggestion - give that Niagra Falls a lot of room! Same with Sun Power if it gets enough sun.

That fence is calling Clematis to me - the Hostas can keep the Clematis roots cool the way they like.

Thanks for taking the time to share!

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Here is one powdery blue that is in full shade: Astral Bliss
    I'm sure there are more good ones out there.

• User
    10 years ago

Jonny, I'll repeat what my African grey tells me:
    "You're so funny." hehehehehe....

I looked again, and I saw part of a stepladder near the deck. Sure don't see any netting. I saw the deck railing, nice vantage point to view things. But I'm not blowing up the pictures, don't have my magnifying glass out tonight.

I have Astral Bliss, and it stayed nice and blue for a long time. I also have Awakening Angel, which I mistakenly thought would stand up taller than Astral Bliss. Don Dean said I might change my mind, and I did.

Another powder blue which loses its powder as the summer heats up is Fragrant Blue Ribbons. It is lovely. It is supposed to have a white margin, but mine lost it, and this spring came up totally blue. Maybe it will get it back next spring.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Bev, I do like that Astral Bliss. I'll look for it. Those vases are very pretty.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a progress report on the hosta garden. It's the third year so the hostas planted the first year are leaping like crazy. I extended the bed around to the right and left (as Ken suggested) but still need to mulch on the left. I have three hostas not in the ground and room only to plant one more. So it looks like I'll be joining the "pot" crowd!

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Looks wonderful!

I predict that within 3 years - you will expand your gardens due to purchases and garden maturing and a few needing to be moved.......congrats, we've all done it. :-)

Paul

• User
    9 years ago

Oh boy, what a difference a year can make! Your scratch back garden is absolutely a knockout!

As a side note, I finally saw the netting on the ladder. I don't know what my problem was last year, but I was looking at the railing thinking FENCING and not LADDER. ...sigh. ....Using the ladder for vertical gardening? I'll have to suggest that to my DH who is the veggie farmer in our family. He can make that ugly tall ladder useful and be able to access veggies at the very top.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Paul and Mocc, it was a lot of work but it turned out better than I expected so I'm very, very pleased.

Paul, you're probably right about expanding but I'm taking a breather for a bit just to sit and enjoy the garden.

Mocc, the cucumber ladder works so well. Your DH should try it.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Congrats!! Great job!

bk