Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unsure of these plants

Posted by frogged (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 15:57

These two are in sun the majority of the day, and there are some damaged leaves that look suspicious. I got them I think from a yard sale a few years ago... what do you think? I have more pics of these in my photobucket I think you should be able to see them if you click the pic thanks
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unsure of these plants

get rid of them.. and then sterilize the shovel...

looks like hvx ...

all hosta are going to look ratty .. in almost full sun.. but the damage will not look like that ..

ken

o

It's this picture that looks like HVX in a Gold Standard.
Photobucket

Ken's right. Dump the lot. Plant Astilbe.

Steve

o

crap kinda thought so but was wishful thinking that I was just being paranoid, thanks.

o

I know its bad form to mention other plants here but since I won't be planting hostas back in the spot were I am removing these two. ( wasn't the best place for them anyway) what would you put in there if you were me? Full sun most of the day right beside a pond. Rocks on both sides of the beds. And I like hostas of course can't have here what are some others that might work instead thanks!

o

My full sun favorites are sedum and oriental lily.... sedum collecting can be pretty hardcore
John

o

Call me crazy, but that does not look like HVX to me. It looks like a mixture of frost damage and color changes.

o

Well they are gone now, better safe then sorry. Truth be told I didn't love these ones anyway. They were yard sale/plant sales finds so I doubt I paid much form them in the first place. I will check out the sedum's tomorrow when I go the nursery, thanks for the suggestion :).

o

i wasnt 100% sure either.. but why risk it.. they were cast off from a neighbor ...

no idea what to put there.. since i cant see the area.. other than the hosta in the small pix

ken

o

None of it looks like HVX to me, it just looks like frost damage or maybe it was stepped on just before it came up.

Chris

o

I also have a distorted leaf on some plants, and do not worry about it.

o

We had a lot of late frost in our zone 5 gardens. A few of the first leaves on the hostas have the distorted look. Good eye test on these hostas is to look at the new leaves, if they are not coming up with distortion or the molted bleeding look, then its probably just frost damage.

Agree with Chris on this one.

o

These pictures are difficult to make a 'final determination'.

Here we would 'quarantine' them to an area far away from the 'regular' garden area and watch them for a year or more.

fwiw,
hh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here