Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving hostas to front of house, looking for companion plants

Posted by shkatie9146 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 16:04

I am far from creative when it comes to gardening. Currently, I have 3 large hostas on the side of my house where no one sees them. I would like to move them to the front of my house were I have about a 12' x 12' area in front of my front door. I would like the flowers/foliage to be nice all year round. I know for sure I want a burning bush or a dogwood. Preferably, I would like only perennials but will supplement with annuals.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving hostas to front of house, looking for companion plants

Do you have any pictures of the Hosta? What color(s) are they, what size and what is the leaf shape?

Dogwoods are great. Are you talking about a Cornus florida or Cornus kousa tree, or a shrub like Cornus sericea Silver and Gold?

Burning Bush, aka Winged Euonomous, are a non-native invasive species. Planting one of these would be a mistake, not just for your garden but for any unmanaged ecosytem nearby. The birds will deposit the seeds and this non-native will take over crowding out native species. If you are looking for strong fall color in a shrub try High Bush Blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum) or Fothergilla (Fothergilla gardenii). Fothergilla comes in dwarf size as well as full shrub size 8x8, and it gives you white flowers in April/May.

There are lots of other great companion plants for Hosta. Just give us an idea of what your plants look like.

Steve

o

Important is that you have the right environment at the planting bed in front of the house. In case you have sun, you will need to water a lot, and hostas might burn, though not much in zone 4. In case there is some shade without invasive tree roots, I like that better. In my front you can not see any hostas, because there is sun, and I have planted mostly conifers there. In case you plan to plant young trees and bushes in that bed, there will be not sufficient shade for the hostas.
Bernd

o

Forget the Burning Bush. Not only invasive, as Steve mentioned, it's overplanted and a bug magnet. Cornus trees (kousa and florida) won't like your zone 4 so are you thinking something like an 'Ivory Halo' (background of the pic below)? The Japanese Maple in the pic isn't hardy for you but everything else is. Ferns, trilium, pulmonaria, daylily, arborvitae and the dogwood.

HolmCorner

For dark foliage maybe try Ligularia dentata ‘Othello’.

But, as mentioned, knowing what hosta you have and perhaps a pic of the area would help.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here