11 years ago

A few of my hail ravaged hostas....

montana A with Choo Choo Train

Sally and Bob

Golden Sculpture

Great Expectations...still young...

Brother Stefan

Thunderbolt and friends

Journey's End, Sun Power, Great Expectations, Regal Splendor, Alex Summers, Blue Angel

Comments (14)

• frostynyc
    11 years ago

Gosh, those are huge. Jealous. :(

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Beauties, love the leaves on Brother Stefan.

Paul

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Ohhhh - some real beauties there - they didn't mind the hail much at all! Makes me wish I had gotten hooked years ago. How old are some of those big boys? Will I live long enough?
    Jan

• Cindy
    11 years ago

Sally and Bob! What a beauty! I just got Thunderbolt this year. Everyone's are so pretty. And Choo Choo Train is very nice. Not hail damaged to me!!

• User
    11 years ago

OMG, love your plants but especially Brother Stefan. I have two young ones, thought one was a goner so got the second one. It's demise was greatly exaggerated! Even young, the substance is very good, the color intense. Cannot wait until they look like yours.

Hope I live so long. :)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Thunderbolt and friends--What a great looking set of friends.

And Brother Stefan's leaves--I adore them!

Kate

• esox48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, some are fairly old. Sun Power has been in the yard since 2003, had 5 eyes in 2004 and now has 70. Journey's End, however, entered the yard in 2007 at 4 eyes, so it's a fast grower. Montana A. was planted in 2007, Sally and Bob in 2005 but has been divided, and I now have five of them. Brother Stefan was planted in 2004 and Thunderbolt in 2003.

All have a bunch of holes from hail, so it's better to look from a distance.

• User
    11 years ago

Yes, Brother Stefan! Probably my favorite hosta....presently...but also over time a substantial performer. Looking at it you can see the substance and texture, and the color seems to hold very well.

My really really brand new Sun Power looks like a baby medium hosta, no indication it will grow up to be a man eater....Little Shop of Horrors' Audrey? But gold it is, and that's what I like about it.

I misspoke in my previous response to this thread. I have two STAINED GLASS, not two Brother Stefans. Sorry.

• nutmeg4061
    11 years ago

I just thought I'd figured out the perfect spot by the front porch for my little Sun Power.

SEVENTY EYES.

Time for a Plan B...

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    11 years ago

They sure are big! There is nothing like a healthy, growing hosta.

Your beds are beautiful and very natural looking.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

You got really nice plants! Maturity of hostas really gives them the best looks. Sally & Bob is definitely on my wish list, but too expensive. So I grew some seedlings, but none looks like it yet.
    Bernd

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Some very nice muskie sized plants you have there, esox. Thanks.

tj

• esox48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TJ, as a matter of fact, I have two 60-inch floating fish measuring rulers. I use one for muskies and one for hostas. It's much better than a tape measure, doesn't bend or collapse and reads from either direction. You don't even have to read it, just hold it up and see how the hosta compares with 60 inches.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

With a handle like esox48, I should have guessed you had two such rulers. If the "48" means what I suspect, that was a nice fish. ;-)

tj

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz