Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate1970_gw

H. Ghost Spirit

Kate1970
9 years ago

I posted this photo of a newly acquired hosta and Jo was kind enough to ask me about it and to start a thread about it. I'll be honest when I went to Bridgewood Garden's I had no intention of buying this particular hosta. I actually had a list and had no plans of deviating from said list. (Welcome to the land of delusion! Thank you, drive thru!)

When I spied Ghost Spirit I had to have it, truth be told I wanted the entire tray of them.

The guy who came home with me 2 weeks ago.

Photo this afternoon of the same plant with a new flush of leaves.

I would love to hear from anyone growing this particular hosta, currently he is potted up and getting a bit of morning sunshine and the rest of the day shade. Its so pretty I had to pot it so I could enjoy it along with my morning coffee on the patio. Other than being a sport of Valentine Lace I don't know much else about it.

Bridgewood Gardens had the following information posted on their website.

Medium. A sport of 'Valentine Lace' with very unusual foliage. The leaves are margined blue-green, with a white center. The center has green misting in the spring, gradually changing to all green in summer.

- Approximate height - 18"
- Approximate spread - 36"
- Flower - Pale lavender

I'm heading to back to Bridgewood Garden's tomorrow, they are having their last open house. So I'm planning to ask Chick about it. Would love to hear more and see photo's of it in other's gardens/pots etc. :)

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Thank you, Kate! My feelings too - buy up the whole lot of them!!! What a gorgeous hosta and leaf photo. Great information added!

I also found that it's dimensions are potentially even greater at 42"w x 20"h. It's almost black scape is unusual and apparently the young leaves have the strongest variegation ( as yours shows). The unusual colour is known to hold best in shade.

It's distinguishing feature (besides the near-black scapes) is the 1" deeply contrasting margin encircling the white centre. Variegation fades during summer into a faint misting. Gotta get me one!

I think I'll just sit here and continue to drool while others find their pics...sigh...

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Mine is in second year.
    This is a closeup of it last year

Earlier this season.....looks almost translucent...has shown some growth so I think it is kind of slow, but that's OK. I love it the way it is.

I'll update with a current pic in the morning.
    Not much substance yet so watch out for slugs.
    Mine gets a little bit of late sun, but it's not in a dark or heavy shaded area so it gets some bright light. Good luck with it (them). You will enjoy watching it change.

9 years ago

Mbug, it looks like the leaves are thicker than I first thought in your lovely pic. They are thin in reality, aren't they?

I love the fact that it changes, adding interest to the plant throughout the season. I would also love it if it stayed the colour of Kate's leaf! :-)

• Kate1970
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What struck me was it looked grey, green and white. Mbug I hope mine grows up to be look like yours! :) For now its potted up with copper tape to keep the slimy jerks at bay. At the moment they are too busy destroying my Pandora's box. :(

9 years ago

Kate, that is why I don't mind some of them in pots for now - it takes them forever to reach the leaves! I am soooo enjoying my beautiful hostas and don't miss the chew marks! But I will have to plant them soon enough :-(

• Kate1970
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From this morning (ignore my messy patio please)

Cute little blooms

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Udated pic from today
    Yes Leaves are thin...starting to get a little more substance and the distinctive twirl at the tip

Pic from 6/22/14

Good luck ...looking forward to updated pics

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

I think I have this one. I will get a pic tomorrow. Mine gets good morning sun and then filtered light and shade. I think you are going to be really pleased with Ghost Spirit, Kate!

• Kate1970
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lavendargrrl I am so pleased with it that I picked up another one for the front of my house for a garden I am about to plant in the front of the house. I think I should change my forum name to Hosta Horder lol. :) Thanks for all the comments and pictures, would love to see more photos.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Kate, you are a smart lady - not a hosta hoarder, lol. Here's mine. It looks a little puny and sad, but I still like it, haha! That yellow bowling ball is probably stunting it's growth.

• altheatime
    9 years ago

Kate, what a gorgeous Hosta! Thank you for the beautiful photos!
    I wouldn't have been able to resist either!

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Kate, you are a smart lady - not a hosta hoarder, lol. Here's mine. It looks a little puny and sad, but I still like it, haha! That yellow bowling ball is probably stunting it's growth.

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting