Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

question about generations

Hello,

I am no expert, nor do I pretend to be and I am sure that this question has a very basic answer: What is a first generation? Would that be the original plant found in the wild? The second generation would be the first plant/sport from the 'first one'?

No details, but I had someone call my Fire Island a 1st generation plant, I know that it was hybridized in 1998 so doesn't that immediately negate the possibility of it being 1st generation?

Thanks teachers :)

Comments (8)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Technically speaking the "first generation" sometimes referred to as f1, is the first set of progeny from a particular plant. If the parent plant is a species plant such as H. pycnophylla, then the f1 would be a hybrid. An example of a pycnophylla f1 would be Gilt by Association or Frisian Pride.

Fire Island is an f1 plant from H. longipes f. hypoglauca. So it is the first generation of a species plant.

Steve

• ademink
    10 years ago

...my mouth is hanging slightly ajar and I look like the lights are on, but nobody's home......but I *think* might have actually understood that. lol

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, the person was right, Fire Island is First Generation. Thank you so much Steve, I appreciate you making the effort to sort that out for me.

Paula

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

your child.. is the first generation of you and your husband ... F1 ... a defined gene pool ...

her child would be the second generation.. or F2 .. but having the added gene pool of the spouse in that cross ...

it is a direct analogy ... nothing mysterious in it all.. except for the F designation ... which leads me to wonder... why F? ... going to spend the day mulling that one ...

the best example of this.. was eric smith crossing a late RE- blooming giant Elegans.. with and the small tardianna... in hope of creating the first small blues ... his F1's .. [the ones with all the british bird names]

as those seedlings developed.. he took them.. and crossed them back onto each other.. going for smaller and bluer.. creating his F2's ...

then herb benedict.. took a couple these plants out to F5 ... the fifth generation.. linked to the original crosses ...

its just a way of tracking ..noting.. and talking about the generations ....

ken

ps: if you take an F1 ... and keep crossing it back onto itself... you can bring out the recessive genes of either parent ... trying .. in this example.. to make it either smaller or bluer ... what i always found interesting.. is that some bloom early like the elegans.. while others bloom late like tardiana ...

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fascinating. Definitely puts it all in perspective.

I thought I would google the 'F' question and then I realized that if you don't know, then I probably wouldn't be able to find the answer! :)

Thanks for the explanation.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Per Wiki...

"F1 stands for Filial 1, the first filial generation seeds/plants or animal offspring..."

I did not know that.
    tj

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i figured it meant Family.... or the latin equivalent.. as the junky notes ...

ken

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

As a retiree, I am the first generation of my living family, have a son, 2nd generation, and a wonderful grandson, now 10 yrs old, 3rd generation. OK, got it!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH