another

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and finally...

(this is Golden Tiara BTW)

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

I'm not an expert, and I'm sure you'll hear from them. It could be HVX. But there are other and worse viruses. HVX just means you have to kill the plant with herbicide, remove the leaves when dry, and not reuse the spot where it was planted. (This is assuming you've been careful about tool hygiene.) Some of the others spread more easily.

I don't know any way to tell for sure without testing - and at the price of HVX test strips, it might be cheaper to just replace Golden Tiara. If it's not too close to anything else, you could just take extreme sanitation precautions and see if it looks better next year. Personally, I'd be painting it with weedkiller.

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Well, you wanted it to be anything but HVX, so what if I said it looks more like Tobacco Rattle Virus?

It is virus infected for certain, and you don't want it in your garden no matter which virus this is.

Sorry.

Chris

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Good information-

Here is a link that might be useful: hosta viruses

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your help!

looking up Tobacco Rattle Virus...
    yes - I think you may be right. It's spread by nematodes eating the roots. They will infect neighbouring plants once they move on to their roots...says I should remove neighbouring plants and steam sterilize the soil (I'll just remove it)...It also says that the virus can live up to 50 years in dried plant material!

So whose bright idea was it to make a Golden Tiara hedge 3 yrs ago anyway?

Only one plant is showing symptoms. Should I just remove the whole lot and try to put in plants that don't catch this virus?

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Chris probably certainly knows better, but the first picture seemed to be sun damage to me. Bernd

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi - I'm still looking for advice on when to remove the plants. Should I do it as soon as possible on the assumption that it really is Tobacco Rattle Virus? Or should I wait until the plants are not actively growing late in the season?

Has anyone else on the hosta forum had this virus in their yard? I thought that it was pretty rare...

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Kill the plant with Roundup or weedkiller, wait for the leaves to be completely dry, and then burn them or put them in the trash. Do it ASAP. Digging up a live plant just gives the virus more chance to spread.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response MadPlanter. I live in Ontario and Roundup is a banned substance. I know that there are natural herbicides made from vinegar but I've read that these only kill the foliage of perennials. If that is the case, digging the live plant may be my only option...

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Vinegar will kill the foliage but will not kill the roots as Roundup will. Digging it out may be the only option. If it is close to other plants there is a very good chance of spreading by cutting into the roots of the infected and non-infected plants.

If it is Tobacco Rattle Virus (or could be) then spraying for nematodes would be advised as they can spread this virus.

Its a tough situation they have left you with.

Jon

• hosta-see
    10 years ago

How about Weed be Gone, or some other type of broadleaf killer, if Round Up is not available to use?

• User
    10 years ago

Honey, I recommend you get some good ole Canadian crushed crab shells and use that in all your hosta planting beds. It won't kill the plant, but it will feed the good organisms which can then eat the bad nematodes. Plus, apparently it also gets rid of the sawfly larva which has chitin in it, and those good bugs love to eat chitinous material. I've been using that in my pots, and now my DH is scratching it into his veggie beds, since nematodes are a tomato problem too.

The brand I bought is called Neptune's Harvest, which is from Glouster MA, but the 50 lb bag I got this time says plain as day, "PRODUCT OF CANADA"......It comes in small bags too, but I don't want to run out! :)

You could boil some water and pour it over your hosta. Or, connect your water hose to the hot water heater, and run it but don't let it flood any other plants and spread the virus elsewhere.

I'm always interested in coping with virus infections, so please keep us all informed about what happens.

• puckhog
    10 years ago

if you are zone 6a and close to the U.S. border, you could do like many of us and go for a drive to get the real roundup and other gardening needs

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all of the advice. I will definitely look for the crushed crab shells to try to control the nem issue as I've noticed even the clover (weeds) looking funny (variegated).

Boiling water may be the best solution if I can bring myself to do it.

Thanks again everyone!