Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

New additions: Have you got any of these?

Before I introduce you to my new hostas, I thought I'd share my final loss count.

Losses: (most newly potted for the first time last September)

Cameo - mini, 3yr old
Cherish - mini, 3yr old
Dream Queen, 3 yr old
Dream Weaver, new 2013
Liberty, new 2013
Maui Buttercups, tiny root that I nursed, grew to 9 leaves, still perished
Mister Watson, new
Olive Bailey Langdon, new
Rainforest Sunrise, new
Ripple Effect, 3yr old
Robert Frost, new
Silver Threads and Golden Needles, 3yr old mini
Spilt Milk, new
Wolverine, 3yr old =14 losses

These are new for 2014:

Abiqua Drinking Gourd, HOTY 2014 x 2 (one might be mislabelled)
Blue Angel
Blue Hawaii
Cathedral Windows
Cherish - replaced
Cherry Berry
Chinese Sunrise
Cold Heart
Confused Angel
Diana Remembered
Dixie Chickadee
Doug Beilstein's Streakers from Devon/Smithstudios :-) x 4
Dream Queen - replaced x 3
Electrocution
Fortunei Aureomarginata
Fragrant Dream
Great Expectations - added 2 more just because and insurance! :-)
Knockout
Lakeside Cupcake
Liberty - replaced
Mary Marie Ann (memorial hosta for sister Mary)
Pandora's Box
Patricia (name of m-i-l)
Rascal
Remember Me
Rhino Hide
Rocket's Red Glare x 2
Sparkler
Spilt Milk - replaced
Swirls
Twilight (gift - a division from NHL's own plant) :-).
Wolverine - replaced.
= 39 hostas in total, 29 new cultivars

On order:
ON STAGE - TopGun thread winner submitted by Ilovetogrow/Paula - picking up on Sunday
Squash Casserole - cause Mocc loves hers ?
Dark Shadows
Lakeside Baby Face (I've seen it referred to as a mini-Sagae so I've got to have it, if for no other reason!)

Last year I think I bought 36 new cultivars in total. This year I started early ... in March, with some bare root bagged ones, have already amassed 29 new ones and today is ONLY the 5th of June! This should really be it - until I visit Vanessa's Hosta Cottage, Giboshihill and Crooked Creek on the week-end! Lol giddy with delight!

Here are a few pics of some of the new kids on the block. I would really like to see older versions (mature) of some of these, please, if you have any pics handy.

Here is a little 'Electrocution'.
Edited to add Liberty! I forgot!

This post was edited by josephines67 on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 19:53

Comments (44)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Here's row of Dark Shadows from a tour garden......it can get big and impressive.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: BST: I Can't Quit Her (Hosta)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paul, I enjoyed the tune, thanks!!! The pic you provided tells me I made a good choice - those are fabulous, just look at the "shadows"!

Here is another newbie, Cold Heart

Original Author
    9 years ago

And Don Rawson's 'Rhino Hide'.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another fragrant to add to my "heavenly" collection, 'Cathedral Windows'.

Original Author
    9 years ago

'Rascal' is another that, like CW was sold out last year. Love it's muted shades.

• hostanista
    9 years ago

14 losses over the winter??! That's awful!!! All weather related, do you think, or was it voles or chipmunks or some other catastrophe? Holy smokes, that's terrible!

I have a few on your new list, but they're still quite young. Waiting another couple of weeks before I take any decent pics of these (quite a few had frost damage so I'm waiting for new leaves to cover up the yuckiness):
    Abiqua Drinking Gourd
    Blue Angel
    Fortunei Aureomarginata
    Pandora's Box
    Remember Me
    Rhino Hide
    Twilight
    Wolverine

In the meantime, console yourself with my Liberty and put that one back on your MUST HAVE list.

Original Author
    9 years ago

A memorial hosta for the sister I lost to cancer, Mary. Here is 'Mary Marie Ann'. Beautiful colours and an interesting shaped leaf.

Original Author
    9 years ago

All of Rascal :-)

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

14 losses? Ouch! I lost two NOIDs and Pandora's Box entirely out of being to lazy to get them out of their pots and into the ground before it froze, and a couple newbies are looking bad, but that was it. Do you keep them potted in zone 5? That could be the problem. I rarely lose a hosta - unless it's living in a pot.

Cherry Berry has been a lemon for me. It doesn't quite die, but that's the best I can say for it. Chinese Sunrise is bright and grows fast. Diana Remembered likes half day sun. Dixie Chickadee is a fast grower, but you have to watch for solid green eyes. I'm getting impressed with Fortunei Aureomarginata, which looks better every year. It was kind of plain for 4-5 years, though. LS Cupcake, Rascal and Rhino Hide have been very slow, but I think it's because they have to compete with tree roots. Rhino Hide went in a spinout bag a couple weeks ago and is already looking better. Dream Queen and Spilt Milk - slow but worth the wait.

That's quite a collection. Enjoy!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Madplanter for looking in. Potting was new for me last year. I was going to take them with me but the move was cancelled. Previously all were in the ground and I've never lost a hosta before that was planted. They are very, very hardy here. All the ones in the ground came up with no winter damage, as is usual. Some of the potted ones, when they finally did emerge, came up downright ugly, poor distorted things. All look pretty good now. At least 3/4 of potted hostas will be replanted. You are absolutely right, when they grow so well planted, why pot them?

Thank you for your feedback on the ones you have. Good to know, the information is helpful to me. :-)

Here is a pic of some of the potted ones today clustered under a small dogwood tree that provides the loveliest dappled light. They are loving it there. I should just plant them there in a raised bed - perfect location. Who needs grass?

• Gesila
    9 years ago

My Cherish has a scape already:

Rascal seems to be quite popular. Here's mine, growing in my sun garden:

I can relate to your losses. I'm at 43 and counting for the past two seasons.

Gesila

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Hostanista! I didn't see you until I replied to Madplanter!
    You caught what I forgot - I DID replace Liberty but forgot to note it. Majesty is hanging on by a very small pip, still. It will be #15 if it doesn't make it. It is similar to L so I won't bother replacing it. It was very nice though. THANK YOU for the thoughtful consolation pic - it is gorgeous!

No, no voles, just bitter cold, late potting, likely too much fresh media in pots, very wet fall, and they just froze that way. Lesson learned but I lost some that had special value to me and that was sad. I will be ready for winter with very few potted hosta. :-)

Will eagerly look forward to your pics when your hostas are ready. :-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Gesila, I'm going to borrow MadPlanter's OUCH! And I'm crying the blues?? That's a lot, even with the average of the two years. Yours are mainly planted. What do you attribute your losses to, overall? The only good thing arising from losses is that we choose if we will replace it or get something from the want list! :-)

Your Rascal has so much gold colour in the sun, yet still achieves that soft look. Hosta Fever has hers on the side of the house in more shade so it is definitely muted. Nice to see the differences and helps me decide on placement.

Cherish is adorable, making up for its diminutive stature by sending up a skyscraper of a flower scape, lol. Gotta love that! Thanks for the pretty pics!

• irawon
    9 years ago

Hi Jo, so sorry for your losses. I'm glad you're replacing Wolverine, one of my favourites. It's a really fast grower, if ithat's any comfort. I have 3 growing to the left of a little pathway.

• irawon
    9 years ago

It seems like I've been waiting forever for Liberty's margins to widen. I captured her showing her legs. In a few days her petticoats will be down.

• irawon
    9 years ago

I've moved Rainforest Sunrise twice. It needs lots of sun to keep it's yellow center.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Jo, your Rhino Hide and Rascal are much bigger than the ones I started with. RH has been really slow for me because of root competition. However, Rascal is doing well in his second year. I like Gesila's that's in more sun than mine too. I guess he's like June.

• irawon
    9 years ago

My neighbour keeps threatening to divide my Dream Queen for me. I know he's kidding. He's just moved into the neighbourhood and done a lot of great things to his home. As soon as he's ready to landscape I'll buy him one.

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Fragrant Dream is always at the top of my favorites list. Here it is from last year showing the color changes from spring to summer.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Irawon! Hi! It's just so great to hear from you. I was wondering when we'd hear from you - your hostas look soooo good. I hope you didn't suffer any winter casualties?

The Wolverine was purchased from Keith Tyndall in Paris and I've had it since 2011. It was beautiful, and big, and reminded me of our Paris trip. Sad when it died. Even today, it is still in the pot - I'm still in denial! And willing it to pop up, lol. I'm nuts. The new one is doing well and constantly putting out more leaves. Makes me happy. :-)

What a lovely thing to do - to buy your neighbour his very own Dream Queen. Then you can sleep nights not worrying about him coveting yours! Lol

I'm placing all three DQ's together for the OOMPH! WOW! factor! Just not sure where yet. I can drag them all over the yard in the pots, but I plan to only plant once so I had better make up my mind.

Your Rascal is looking as he should, ever so dreamy! Something to look forward to. Glad you are back, Irawon! :-)

Eleven, I really love the transition in colours and just can't get over the last pic of Fragrant Dream! My edges are already mostly creamy white but the margins curl under so it's difficult to admire a whole leaf without getting a crick in the neck! Lol. Q: where do you have it growing in terms of sun exposure?

Thanks for showing an interest in this thread!

Jo

This post was edited by josephines67 on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 23:56

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Hi Josephine,

I don't live too far from you and these ones, that we both have, survived:
    Cameo (in a pot, but in the garage)
    The rest are in the ground:
    Dream Queen (new last year)
    Dream Weaver
    Rainforest Sunrise (new last year)
    Ripple Effect (new last year)
    Wolverine
    Being in the ground must have made the difference, I suppose.

I love your new purchases, I have 10 of them. I got On Stage last year and I love it!
    It went from 3 to 6 eyes and this is what it looks like now:
    {{gwi:1036263}}

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Paula! Your On Stage already has those beautiful long leaves and looking almost mature? I don't even know what a new one looks like. If the one I pick up isn't beefy enough to suit me, I'm getting two, if I'm lucky! So looking forward to it!

Btw, I like how yours looks inside that taller-looking container - keeps the leaves off the ground. I've done the same thing with Chinese Sunrise just because it looks nice!:-).

• User
    9 years ago

Yeah, Dark Shadows is a nice one. It is on the fragrant list did you see? I have this one and a 2nd one from a different source this year. Blue with a chartreuse margin looks nice. It is sort of a powdery leaf except when it is wet.

Fragrant Dream is a good choice. Mine from 2011 one of my very first 20 hosta in the garden. (I went from 0 to 60 in about 5 seconds I suppose.) It is repotted here and has tape holding the bouquet out of harm. May 13 this year

More to show but I'm due in the garden. Good choices. Some you have new I also got this year. I lost Pandora's Box last year do not intend to replace it. My heart is healed by the way the minis have responded to saving them from squirrel damage.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

WOW Jo. I am impressed by your new list! That is fantastic! You will, no doubt, have fun watching these new hostas grow this season. And I can just imagine you walking around your garden (Dream Queens in hand) wondering where the perfect spot to plant them is! Have you found it yet?

Sorry to hear about your losses. This year I lost 3 potted hostas. Each of these were in a 5 inch pot---one GE, one Golden Meadows and Beach Boy (supposed to grow better than GE). Now I don't believe that.

You say you are hosta shopping this weekend? I look forward to seeing what other beauties you bring home!

Love that Chinese Sunrise in a tall pot!

NEED to get myself an On Stage!

This post was edited by newhostalady on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 16:55

• irawon
    9 years ago

Jo, it's nice to have some extra time to post again. Your surviving plants look great. I especially envy your Sagae, which I've been trying to grow for years. I lost my first, the second larger one that I bought, I don't think is Sagae after all and 'Super Sagae' is being slow. Ditto with Great Expectations ... mine has only two big eyes after six years. I guess I'll have to put him in a spin out bag ... that's going to be a lot of hard work and I understand GE doesn't like to be moved.. at my age energy is at a premium.

I didn't have any losses this winter but quite a few of mine appear to be dwindling in size because of tree roots. I'm in the process of relocating some of my minis also where I hope they will grow better. I moved Pandora's Box and she appears to have survived. I have the impression that some of the PBs out there have more chlorphyl in them than others.

Geesh, now Paul and you have gotten me interested in Dark Shadows again. Two years ago I chose Blue Shadows over DS.

Moc, it's nice to see your hostas so beautiful and beefy. Twist of Lime has been a good grower for me too.

Pandora's Box, after the move.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Just got home with Dark Shadows. Then I saw Summer Breeze gently swaying in the breeze but swaying in MY direction! I took cue and bought one! Just look at the size of these! DS has 2 large eyes and is a division - huge! SB has 4 large eyes plus another smaller one.

I'm so happy with the size of the hostas from Hosta Fever, above crown and below. I feel it ranks up there with your top three providers in the U.S. and the state of my hostas support this statement. There is relief and peace of mind knowing that what you just bought is a stellar plant(s) that not only looks good, it is healthy, well cared for, AND guaranteed HVX free! It can't get better than that!

Here is Summer Breeze with Dark Shadows. Wish I could remember to whom the "enabling" credit should go to! Perhaps to everyone who ever posted a pic of it, I guess! All pics were stunning.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Dark Shadows.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocc, you betcha! I knew it was a fragrant! and thanks! I've consciously chosen some for that very reason in order for my garden to feel more "heavenly" with fragrance when it is bloom time! :-). I pay attention when you and others post and provide detail about your plants - something always sticks in my mind.

Your hostas keep amazing me this year. The growth from last year is significant. Real lookers! Your mini collections have also put on growth. Anyone not familiar with minis can see by your pics that they can attain some size overall in terms of dimension!

NHL: there you are! :-) thank you! No, no location for DQ yet, lol, one with KR and two beside other KR - still debating! I need help! Btw, if you want a GE replacement, I'll share one of the ones you picked up for me. Let me know. I know it's your ultimate fave! :-). Sad you lost three - size of pot, not enough root protection? It's not an exact science - my head hurts just thinking of all the various reasons for failure to survive. :-(. I hope your three new ones (when we handed off our hostas) are doing well? Time for you to post some more wonderful pics! :-)

NHL, if I find a few On Stages, I'll bring one back for you in exchange for Twilight! Plan on it!

Irawon: your setting for PB is so pretty. She is a big one too! I know what you mean about DS. It's been haunting me since last fall. Now I can enjoy it!
    Sometimes it's a daunting task, having to dig up and replant and/or relocate established plants. I did that last fall and it was the first time I've ever expressed how hard I worked, lol. Proof I am getting older too and the stamina is diminished somewhat! Cooler days are a blessing - try to take advantage of that when we can, right?

NHL has a superb GE. You should compare notes! Thank you for noticing my Sagae - I'm so proud of it. It easily has exceeded the 42" I quoted a week or two ago. Even though I have a very small yard, I've accumulated quite a few biggies. I'm in trouble but I'll have fun trying to site them! Anytime you need a hosta that is guaranteed to be Sagae, you have a good piece reserved here. I would gladly share mine with you! It doesn't mind travelling and doesn't complain when it's divided. Lol

• irawon
    9 years ago

Thanks Jo, that is very generous of you. I was very careless. I should have noticed what I was buying wasn't a real Sagae. My 'Super Sagae' should do better once I get him into a spin out bag.

I'm so happy for you with your purchases... they look really great and you won't be disappointed with Summer Breeze. Mine is doing well, for the time being, under a red maple. I often kick myself for coming home with more hostas than I intended to buy but I've never regretted buying SB.

Yes, I've often admired NHL' s Great Expectations. If she doesn't mind I would love to know what she's doing differently.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Josephine, I agree with what you said about Moccasin's plants - they seem to be doing exceptionally well, especially considering that they are in Alabama.

This is On Stage last year when I bought it.
    {{gwi:1036276}}
    I just checked my files and I got it at Handlebar Hosta which is one of those top growers that you refer to where they are top quality and HVX checked.
    For reference, here it is this year, it is in sun both years.
    {{gwi:1036263}}

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

When I first saw the title, I read, "New addictions: Have you got any of these?"

Works either way.

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Jo, nearly my whole yard is covered with oak tree canopy, so it's lots of high filtered light. We also have lots of understory trees and shrubs: dogwoods, redbuds, rhododendrons, etc. Fragrant Dream is at the center these pics taken from each end of its bed.

• User
    9 years ago

Eleven,, it is beautiful. And it seems to be hovering above the ground like a space ship. Keeping her skirts clean and out of the dirt. :)

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Jo, The potted survivors look terrific. Glad you still have some good ones to console yourself with.

I bought what was labeled Mary Marie Ann from a local hosta group. Had never heard of it, just wanted to buy something from their fundraiser. It's small and plain green, nothing like yours - hate getting a mislabeled hosta, especially when it's sold by a group that should know better.Grrr..............

Original Author
    9 years ago

Paula, your OS is sinfully huge, and just new last year!!! it is absolutely beautiful - it has a "purity" quality about it, as it also does in its yellow stage. I so LOVE this plant.

When Paula/Ilovetogrow posted her pic on the Top Gun thread, I immediately fell for it. There were so many beautiful contenders I really had a hard time deciding, then I went with my first reaction. It just happened to be the first pic too, I think. It was a POW moment. Since then I've also acquired a few others from that thread. I'm grateful you added last year's pic. I think You must have been dancing all the way home with that one when you got it :-)

Love the yard, I laughed right out loud when I read your comment...still chortling! Thanks! ;-)

Eleven, you have the ultimate canopy for hosta gardens. Just look at that beacon in the centre of the bed! All other plants seem to "attend" to her. Very, very lovely. Is that Devon Green down a bit from FD? Near what looks like Inniswood? Don't have either but guessing from memory?

MadPlanter, you're so on point! I do have many other hostas that are compensating for the loss, extraordinarily doing so well. Each day I notice something new, or see leaves widen, corrugation appear, etc. I am in my element!

The biggest difference this year is that there are no slug holes!!! I haven't seen a slug for at least a week now. I can enjoy the beauty of leaf and shape of a hosta without being distracted by slug bites. I'm convinced the population decreased due to the harsh winter. The small ones I found helped themselves to the bait I scattered around and they are gone!

As for your MMA, I'm sorry you had to be disappointed. After I read your comment I checked on it in my Grenfell/Shadrack Encyclopedia and the centre does go through colour changes, but it doesn't go all green at all. It likes morning sun to maintain its lighter centre. You deserve the real thing!

• User
    9 years ago

I'd be commenting to your remarks in this thread but I'm so exhausted from the heat and working right through with only a brief break at lunch, that I am limp. Dug up two big hydrangeas and moved them --and I TAPED them too. Then spread about 6 bags of mulch and put down a row of cinder blocks for another bleacher row. I moved a big wrought iron etagere after taking the small pots of hosta off, cut down the scraggly banana trees, hauled a green marble 30 x 30 square to make an outdoor table, watered prodigious amounts, bricked one section of the hosta display, pulled up briars, and watered. With the sprinkler, me walking through it to keep cool. It was around 101 here, according to our thermometer. Drank lots of water. I am so sleepy. I usually take pics in the evening but not tonight. Hope my hosta behave themselves.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I have several of these, but have only managed to grab one pic thus far. Here's Cherish

Mine was scaping, too, in the pic. It had beautiful dark purple flowers.

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Jo, yep, that was Devon Green in the foreground of the first pic along with Paradise Island and Blonde Elf. Inniswood is considerably larger than those and doesn't develop any gold for me until later in the summer :) Here she is now.

I also forgot that you had asked about some other hostas on your dead/ordered lists. I have Rainforest Sunrise and Maui Buttercups. They're in what little sun I have and will develop a lot more yellow later.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Eleven, I really want to replace those cuties, MB and RS. I love the look of corrugation on small hostas although RS can be quite a good size. Yours are so crisp...nice photography!

Mocc, that was too much in one day for one person in all that heat. You take care now, y'hear? :-)

• lupinguy
    9 years ago

Here is a shot of my 3 year Blue Hawaii. I moved it into better shade this year and love the results. Its so Blue I just love especially just after and evening water.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Moc, I agree with Jo, please slow down in all that heat but you must be very satisfied with all that you accomplished.

Eleven, your gardens are beautiful. Makes me wish I could take a stroll in them.

Jo, I misread, your request. You wanted to see hostas you'd never owned before. Here is my Blue Angel in the middle of the bed. It will never attain a mature size. I gave it way too much room. I'm only starting to like it now. I'm working on introducing more cololour in that bed too. The small blue in front is a seedling that I got from a friend; it's growing in a spot where nothing has thrived before. It may be an Elegans seedling? I have two more in difficult spots for growing.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Here's Rocket's Red Glare which I bought last year. It looks a lot better than the Clovelly I bought at the same time. It's way fuller and shows the red into the leaves nicely but I'm holding on hope for Clovelly.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Paula's On Stage is gorgeous. I love it in a pot. It's huge for a one year plant. Mine is in the ground and in its fourth year, not completely unfurled yet, always the last to come up. I wish I'd planted it in a more protected site because the wind can tear the leaves.

• irawon
    9 years ago

I added Lakeside Cupcake to this bed under a blue spruce last summer. I really like it. It's growing well despit root competition because it's getting lots of water.