Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deshima

Dorothy Benedict

deshima
16 years ago

Why is it that you can never find this hosta, however I read about it all the time? If one is found how do you determan it's real value?

Comments (27)

• esther_opal
    16 years ago

500+ I've seen them sold for 3500 Do you want one for 500, mine came out of Herb Benedict's garden dug by him.

• deshima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When did Benedict dig it for you?

• esther_opal
    16 years ago

About 12-15 years ago. Did you know him? He had polio as young person and used a long staff to aid walking.
    I went to his house after a hybridizers meeting, he showed me every plant in his garden. Gave me several then, as I was about to leave. He said don't you want a H.'Dorothy Benedict'? Of course I said yes, he said everyone who comes to see him wanted to see only DH and angled to get one and since I didnÂt ask for one and showed interest in his breeding program that he would give one.

Now the neat part, he let himself down with that staff and dug it for me.

• Carole Westgaard
    16 years ago

EO: You must have over a hundred eyes on your Doroty B. I think you should auction off a few eyes to your buddies here. Whattayasay?

Westy

• deshima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wish someone would post some pictures of Dorothy Benedict, I have never seen one, short of the Hosta Library's pics.It sorta looks abit like American Master Piece but with yellow streaks instead of the white variegation of A. Master Piece.Yes I'll also love to pay for an eye, but now may not be a good time to separate them.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

it does NOT tc ...

it multiples VERY SLOWLY .... like one division every 5 years ...

it rots when you cut it ...

all this leads to a lack of stock on the market ...

on top of that .. its seedlings often rot ... though stronger than mom because of the diversification of the gene pool ... they still are hard to grow on ...

frankly .. for the money.. you can get a lot of better breeders ...

its sieboldiana background makes it grow real slow .... 5 to 10 years to mature into a respectable clump ... if it lives that long...

ken

• ademink
    16 years ago

Well, looks like your "get rich quick" DB auction moment is over, EO! roflol

• deshima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Ken after that great advise on Great Expectations I will finally take it on this one. I believe I asked Vaughn, BoB or Wade, can't remember who exactly, a doyen for sure anyways, as to why GE did so poorly in the south the reply was; it needed good drainage in humus rich soil and watered everyday. I don't have time for all that so it a big fat nada. So which ones are your favorite breeder? I think I have a new post here.

• esther_opal
    16 years ago

I found Herb to be the most generous and kind of all the hosta luminaries I've met. It always seemed wrong to sell a division. I've never divided my DB or do I plan to sell a division.

It should be in any serious breeding program, there are probably more worthwhile plants in the trade with DB heritage than any other single plant. A hallmark of Dorothy Benedict plants is substance, stability and late emergence, all attributes a hybpridizer should be looking for. Most look for something different without observing garden worthiness, Herb threw away sports and crosses most would be thrilled with.

This story is about how generous the most famous and influential hypbridizer was to me and IÂve talked to many since who experienced him the same way.

• ademink
    16 years ago

I think it's a great story and what a wonderful part of hosta history to have in your garden! I think it's fantastic that it has lived and thrived for you - reflecting the spirit of the gift-giver. :)

• Janice
    16 years ago

Sounds like a person I'd like to have known, hybridizer, hosta lover or not!

Makes you wonder what glory there is for people to be mean-spirited, selfish
    and so self-focused when their legacy is not one anyone would want to leave
    behind!

Thanks for the 'portrait' of a really nice person, EO! May his tribe increase!

janice

• esther_opal
    16 years ago

For hosta people the question might be, "what would Herb do?"

• ademink
    16 years ago

roflol!!!

• paphman
    16 years ago

I just posted this pict on this forum.
    Check itt out.

• hostasgalore1
    16 years ago

There was tc's of it last year on ebay fairly cheap. I got a tc last year also and it's got some great streaking so far.

• FlowersForMyFarm
    16 years ago

I've finally ordered one after promising myself that I'd get one every year for about the last 5 years. Any suggestions on choosing the site for it? One spot has morning sun and then shade and the other has dappled shade all day. I'd really prefer to plant this one in the spot that it will stay.

paphman - that's gorgeous!

• paphman
    16 years ago

Thanks, it took only 6 years and 3 different locations to find THE spot it liked.
    She is finally happy!

• esther_opal
    16 years ago

Streaking is not as good an indicator of breeding as a streak down the middle of the petiole all the way to the crown.

• ademink
    16 years ago

WOW, heck of a family tree. Check this out!

Progeny:

'A Big Splash' selfed
    'A Many-splendored Thing' = PP x 'hypoleuca'
    'Alice Blue Gown' hybrid
    'Alligator Shoes' = PP x 'montana'
    'Band of Gold' = PP x 'hypoleuca'
    'Bashful Polly' hybrid
    'Benedict Arnold' hybrid
    'Big and Blue' = PP x 'Blue Seer'
    'Big Pizza Pie' = PP x 'Maekawa'
    'Blast Off' = 'Mikado' x PP
    'Blue Canopy' = PP x '(x 'Dorothy Benedict')'
    'Blue Form' sport/gg
    'Blues in the Night' selfed
    'Brilliance' hybrid
    'Celestial' = PP x 'hypoleuca'
    'Chairman of the Board' = PP x 'Elatior'
    'Cinderella' selfed
    'Clyde's Birthday' hybrid
    'Dandy Randy' selfed
    'Dazzling' = PP x 'Maekawa'
    'Eggs Benedict' = PP x 'Incredible Hunk'
    'Final Answer' = PP x 'hypoleuca'
    'George W.' = PP x 'Incredible Hunk'
    'Gil Jones' selfed
    'Go Dorothy' hybrid
    'Gold Dorothy of Richland' hybrid
    'Grand Maw JoAnn' hybrid
    'Grandchild' hybrid
    'Heavenly Beginnings' = PP x 'Elatior'
    'Herb Benedict' = PP x 'Tokudama Aureonebulosa'
    'Hideko Gowen' selfed
    'Hot Flash' selfed
    'Huron Blue' hybrid
    'In Sook' = PP x 'montana'
    'Janet's Joy' sport/gg
    'Jim Wilkins' selfed
    'Lickity Split' = PP x 'pycnophylla'
    'Lovely to Behold' = PP x '(x 'Dorothy Benedict')'
    'Lover's Leap' = PP x 'Nooner'
    'Lucky Fifty' sport/o
    'MacBenedict' hybrid
    'Mean Mama' sport/yg
    'Miss Tokyo' = PP x 'montana 'Aureomarginata''
    'Misty Mary Ann' = PP x '(x 'Dorothy Benedict')'
    'My Friend Nancy' = PP x 'montana 'Chirifu''
    'My Love Dorothy' selfed
    'Nifty Fifty' sport/gy
    'Outrageous' = PP x 'montana 'Aureomarginata''
    'Roller Coaster' = PP x 'hypoleuca'
    'Ruby Benedict' = PP x 'Tokudama Aureonebulosa'
    'Sails at Sunset' = PP x 'hypoleuca'
    'Seducer' selfed
    'Silk Kimono' = PP x 'montana'
    'Simply Sharon' seedling
    'Skyward' = PP x 'hypoleuca'
    'Song Sung Blues' = PP x 'Maekawa'
    'Sportscaster' seedling
    'Spring Break' = PP x '(x 'Dorothy Benedict')'
    'Stellar by Starlight' = PP x 'hypoleuca'
    'Super Star' = PP x 'Maekawa'
    'Surf and Turf' = PP x 'Incredible Hunk'
    'Teacher's Pet' = PP x 'montana'
    'Unexpected Pleasure' = PP x 'montana'
    'Van Wade' = PP x 'Northern Lights'
    'Warwick Curtsey' = PP x 'nakaiana'
    'Xanadu Contemplation' selfed

• deshima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dam Dorothy had a very good time in her day, you forgot one American Masterpiece or is that debate still going on.

• cbiiidesigns
    16 years ago

dorothy b. went from 4 to 8 eyes this year. what would cause that to happen? the plant is os and is in it's fifth year.

• deshima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Herb was a nature lover, but primarily a lover, for some it's just a natural. I hope we all think of ourselves in the same light and not be afraid to love one another as Herb did.

• deshima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I gota move to a cooler climate, thats awesome.

• FlowersForMyFarm
    16 years ago

EO, how interesting, I never knew that about the streaking in the petioles. I just ran out to my gardens to check the streakers I have collected so far and I'm happy to say they're streaked all the way down....whew...

As I was running out to check my hostas I could hear my mom's voice saying "and if your friends told you to jump off a bridge, would you?" Apparently the answer would be yes, as long as there's a streaked breeder hosta at the bottom. LOL

cbiii - WOW!!! I could stare at that all day!

• ademink
    16 years ago

I didn't know about Am. Masterpiece (one of my "holy grails" along w/ Glad Rags! lol). I just cut and pasted the list from the Hosta Library...I'm not *that* smart! ;D

• polyglot12_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have to admit, I have never felt better about my heritage than lately. Reading all the posts and talking to a local seller of plants has swollen my head to no end.
    I am the nephew of Herb and Dorothy and used to live just around the corner from them on Lake Wilson in Hillsdale Mich.
    Herb was an excentric but determined when he set his mind to something, coins, tropical fish and moss roses prior to his hosta days.
    If anyone would like any background on Herb I would be willing to answer any e-mails.

Barry Benedict

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator