Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta differentiation

Posted by bkay2000 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 16:40

When Cleo, the darling demon doglet, un-potted and gave all the small and/or new hosta the death shake, I just potted up what was left. I couldn't tell what was the 3 year old Blue Mouse ears and what was the new Blue Cadet, so they ended up in the same pot.

I thought I could tell by the BME having rounded leaves and the BC having pointed leaves, but they all became pointed. Then, it seemed obvious that the one with the taller scapes is Blue Cadet and the shorter scapes is Blue Mouse ears, but what about the one with the middle high scape?

What do you think?

I'd like to get this separated before it gets too intertwined. The tall scape topped out at about 16". The medium scape is about 11". The short scape is about 6"
 photo DSCN1376fixed.jpg

I think this is BME, scapes are about 6" above the leaves
bme 2? photo DSCN1375.jpg

I think this is also BME, scapes are about 6"
bme? photo DSCN1374.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta differentiation

Here's Blue Cadet blooming. While it may be tall in your picture, I think it fits fairly well for its size.

Paul

o

Congratulation to the recovery of your dug up hostas. They look great!
I had one h.'Raspberry Sorbet' eaten to the ground by a rabbit, and it has new leaves now too, they are indestructible. Bernd

o

And the good thing is that hosta don't interest her anymore.

bk

o

Blue Cadet's leaves are pointy. BME are roundish

o

Yeah, I know. I have photos of Blue Mouse Ears with round leaves. It was a 3 year-old pot, so it had several eyes. I bought a Blue Cadet last summer. You can't really tell how many eyes it was.

Cleo dumped all the pots and pulled out the hosta and gave it a death shake. Then, she threw them around for a while. I had pieces of hosta that I tried to ID and pot accordingly. I could not tell the difference between the BME and the Blue Cadet pieces, so they all just went in pots.

However, every little blue hosta now has pointed leaves. I'd like to separate the Blue Cadet from the Blue Mouse Ears, but still can't exactly tell what's what.

bk

Blue Cadet before the rampage

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 21:54

Have a closer look at the color of flowers on the tall and medium stalks. BME had nice short stalks, light lavender.

Or you can wait until the mouse ears look like rounded little mouse ears....

They will pull apart after when you hose off the soil...carefully.

-Babka

-Babka

o

Just wait until they get round? Makes perfect sense.

bk

o

this has my Blue Cadet, 2nd year , in bloom.
The similar shaped hosta is Banyai's Dancing Girl' which also has a lavender flower, but two Happy Hearts are there with white flowers.

Hope this helps?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here