Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta Flowers

Posted by flower-frenzy 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 16:40

A lot of people say they don't like hosta flowers. In many cases, I might agree with them. However, there are some that seem particularly nice (at least to me). This first one is H. "Sum and Substance".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta Flowers

I also find the flowers on H. "Satisfaction" to be quite pretty.

o

My favorite blooms (so far anyway) are on H. "Fantasy Island". With reddish pink scapes and purple flowers, it's really lovely. The best part is that there are so many of them!

o

How about all of you? What are some of your favorite hosta flowers? Feel free to post your pics!

o

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 17:18

Hard for me to choose just one. Like you, I have different choices because of different qualities.
Earth Angel has a pretty scape.

o

Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 17:21

And Sagae has several blooms on each scape.

o

Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 17:24

I like the yellow part of the stamen on Goodness Gracious, too.

o

Now you're talking! :)
Totally love your flower pictures.
I think that most hybridizers are going for the leaf variegations more than the flowers, or we'd be dealing with exotic blooms on gorgeous hosta. One day, the blooms SHALL matter. IMHO.

I was amazed at the blooms on Holly's Dazzler this year. It only arrived here in April I think, so within a six week period, it produced these blooms.
DSCN8447

Twist of Lime gets the award for a lot of scapes
Garden13Jun0455
DSCN8544

Then Ginsu Knife, a fragrant, opened really early, instead of waiting until late July or August as normal for the large flowered fragrant family
Garden13Jun0155

Many of the fragrants have magnificent blooms, but not opened yet. Like another hosta, NOT a fragrant, but with exceptional purple blooms, Purple Lady Fingers

Three scapes opening on Rich Uncle look sort of like popcorn here.
IMG_20130617_115124.jpg

So glad someone else likes the flowers too. My garden is busting loose with scapes, showing above the leaf canopy in tight bud form, exciting to watch them grow. I already have many seed pods, have no idea which are going to be fertile. But if they are all fertile, there will be a real explosion of hosta in south Alabama very soon.

o

I like the flower on Guacamole. It's so simple and straight forward and it smells good too.

bk

o

Oh my goodness. . .I love those blooms on Fantasy Island especially. I haven't been much of a flower person before but find myself taking extra appreciating looks. These are some I took of Henry van de Laar last year. I love the way he looked. That was the first time I remember getting caught up in a flower like that. I had just moved him out of the isolation garden so I might of posted one of them last year. I will try for a new one this year.
Thank you for those pictures. I'm sure I will enjoy my Fantasy Island at bloom time more because of your drawing my attention toward it!

photo c-1.jpg

photo b-1.jpg

photo HarryvandeLaarblossom1.jpg

Harry van de Laar photo a.jpg

Harry van de Laar photo b.jpg

This post was edited by sidney1515 on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 19:42

o

That's a beautiful flower, BK.
From last year I have some Purple Lady Fingers with multiple purple flowered scapes.
Hosta12Aug428
It's worth waiting for late August to see this one
Hosta12Aug350

o

On my gosh! These blooms are fantastic! Thanks everyone for posting your pics. Keep them coming!

Moccasin, I'm with you. I can't wait until hybridizers start focusing more on the blooms. Imagine the beautiful hosta leaves with gorgeous flowers....hostas will be even greater than they already are!

o

• Posted by mbug 6 NJ (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 23:17

Terrific pictures
Sidney...those are magnificent pictures.
A couple of small ones
Little Treasure

photo Littletresureflower.jpg
Blue Mouse Ears
Blue Mouse Ears photo bluemouseears.jpg

Some others
Fire and ice
Fire and Ice photo fireice.jpg
Elegans
Elegans Flower photo Elegensflower.jpg

o

War Paint.

o

I'm very partial to the flower bud on Lady Jane...

photo LadyJaneflowerbud.jpg

o

War Paint is a unique color, and I'm hoping I can get one of them soon.

Lady Jane.....that looks like a water lily bloom, Jim! Perfectly opened.

One reason I got Harry Van De Laar was the flower scape. One of our European posters had the plant, I think, which prompted a late season order for it from Wade Gatton.

o

Elegans

photo DSC_0829_zps7fc17d75.jpg

photo DSC_0831_zps20517694.jpg

Striptease

photo DSC_0832_zps46b2fe5b.jpg

photo DSC_0833_zps4c7ec4d1.jpg

Blue Angel

photo DSC_0834_zps89463998.jpg

photo DSC_0835_zps818b240d.jpg

Dream Queen

photo DSC_0836_zps5f1fd6c5.jpg

Jon

o

Feather Boa
Feather Boa

ventricosa Aureomaculata
Hosta 'ventricosa Aureomaculata' (09)-2

Paul

o

Oh my goodness! These pictures are fantastic. I am getting a new appreciation for the hosta flower. Thank you all!

o

I still like the old fashion hosta lancifolia.

o

Nice flowers everyone; can't wait for mine.

Beverly

o

I am surprised every day by the number of new scapes peeking above the leaves. Even some of the big deal fragrants known to be late bloomers, like August or September further north, HAH, they are not only scaping, some are ready to open up them pearly blossoms.

I only meant to take a tiny look without getting wet after the rain this morning. But when I saw Doubled Up had a monster size bud held up by a very stout scape, I got my camera and took a few pictures. Now I cannot find my camera, and thus not share the pictures until manana, is that good enough for you all? ;) Oh yes, I recall Old Faithful budding up, Paradise Sunshine, White Knight, ....but not Mama Plantaginea. I hope she plans on making an entrance. Gotta love these Divas.

o

• Posted by mbug none (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 21:16

Blue Cadet

o

• Posted by mbug none (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 21:17

Blue Cadet

o

Favorite hosta flowers=Fragrant.

Don B.

o

'Forest Shadows' sent up a few pretty little scapes.

Don B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here