Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Hosta Flowers

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

A lot of people say they don't like hosta flowers. In many cases, I might agree with them. However, there are some that seem particularly nice (at least to me). This first one is H. "Sum and Substance".

Comments (25)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also find the flowers on H. "Satisfaction" to be quite pretty.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My favorite blooms (so far anyway) are on H. "Fantasy Island". With reddish pink scapes and purple flowers, it's really lovely. The best part is that there are so many of them!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How about all of you? What are some of your favorite hosta flowers? Feel free to post your pics!

• dg
    10 years ago

Hard for me to choose just one. Like you, I have different choices because of different qualities.
    Earth Angel has a pretty scape.

• dg
    10 years ago

And Sagae has several blooms on each scape.

• dg
    10 years ago

I like the yellow part of the stamen on Goodness Gracious, too.

• User
    10 years ago

Now you're talking! :)
    Totally love your flower pictures.
    I think that most hybridizers are going for the leaf variegations more than the flowers, or we'd be dealing with exotic blooms on gorgeous hosta. One day, the blooms SHALL matter. IMHO.

I was amazed at the blooms on Holly's Dazzler this year. It only arrived here in April I think, so within a six week period, it produced these blooms.

Twist of Lime gets the award for a lot of scapes

Then Ginsu Knife, a fragrant, opened really early, instead of waiting until late July or August as normal for the large flowered fragrant family

Many of the fragrants have magnificent blooms, but not opened yet. Like another hosta, NOT a fragrant, but with exceptional purple blooms, Purple Lady Fingers

Three scapes opening on Rich Uncle look sort of like popcorn here.

So glad someone else likes the flowers too. My garden is busting loose with scapes, showing above the leaf canopy in tight bud form, exciting to watch them grow. I already have many seed pods, have no idea which are going to be fertile. But if they are all fertile, there will be a real explosion of hosta in south Alabama very soon.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I like the flower on Guacamole. It's so simple and straight forward and it smells good too.

bk

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness. . .I love those blooms on Fantasy Island especially. I haven't been much of a flower person before but find myself taking extra appreciating looks. These are some I took of Henry van de Laar last year. I love the way he looked. That was the first time I remember getting caught up in a flower like that. I had just moved him out of the isolation garden so I might of posted one of them last year. I will try for a new one this year.
    Thank you for those pictures. I'm sure I will enjoy my Fantasy Island at bloom time more because of your drawing my attention toward it!

This post was edited by sidney1515 on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 19:42

• User
    10 years ago

That's a beautiful flower, BK.
    From last year I have some Purple Lady Fingers with multiple purple flowered scapes.

It's worth waiting for late August to see this one

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On my gosh! These blooms are fantastic! Thanks everyone for posting your pics. Keep them coming!

Moccasin, I'm with you. I can't wait until hybridizers start focusing more on the blooms. Imagine the beautiful hosta leaves with gorgeous flowers....hostas will be even greater than they already are!

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Terrific pictures
    Sidney...those are magnificent pictures.
    A couple of small ones
    Little Treasure

{{gwi:1036633}}
    Blue Mouse Ears
    {{gwi:1036634}}

Some others
    Fire and ice

Elegans

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

War Paint.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I'm very partial to the flower bud on Lady Jane...

• User
    10 years ago

War Paint is a unique color, and I'm hoping I can get one of them soon.

Lady Jane.....that looks like a water lily bloom, Jim! Perfectly opened.

One reason I got Harry Van De Laar was the flower scape. One of our European posters had the plant, I think, which prompted a late season order for it from Wade Gatton.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Elegans

{{gwi:1036637}}

{{gwi:933716}}

Striptease

Blue Angel

Dream Queen

Jon

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Feather Boa

ventricosa Aureomaculata

Paul

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness! These pictures are fantastic. I am getting a new appreciation for the hosta flower. Thank you all!

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

I still like the old fashion hosta lancifolia.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Nice flowers everyone; can't wait for mine.

Beverly

• User
    10 years ago

I am surprised every day by the number of new scapes peeking above the leaves. Even some of the big deal fragrants known to be late bloomers, like August or September further north, HAH, they are not only scaping, some are ready to open up them pearly blossoms.

I only meant to take a tiny look without getting wet after the rain this morning. But when I saw Doubled Up had a monster size bud held up by a very stout scape, I got my camera and took a few pictures. Now I cannot find my camera, and thus not share the pictures until manana, is that good enough for you all? ;) Oh yes, I recall Old Faithful budding up, Paradise Sunshine, White Knight, ....but not Mama Plantaginea. I hope she plans on making an entrance. Gotta love these Divas.

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Blue Cadet

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Blue Cadet

{{!gwi}}

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Favorite hosta flowers=Fragrant.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Forest Shadows' sent up a few pretty little scapes.

Don B.