Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

Weedlings

Gesila
9 years ago

If you leave the scapes over winter, you'll have tons of tots! Here's some of mine:

These are under Lakeside Legal Tender, but could have belonged to anything in this garden, these are new this year and I haven't moved them yet.

These are ones I relocated from the front bed last season, just dug them out and stuck them in this spot, didn't baby these tots. They've already outgrown their spot.

The weedling on the right is my favorite, it has super thick leaves. I found these this year and relocated them in this super sunny spot. The soil is quite dry here. They've bleached out but haven't burned out yet. One of the two of these is sending up a scape already.

Gesila

Comments (12)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Your favorite one looks promising.

Thanks for sharing.

bk

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Nice seedlings, my eyes are drawn to the blues. I wipe out a lot of these when weeding with a shuffle hoe. About the only ones that get saved are near pathways.

Paul

• User
    9 years ago

With all the talk about volunteer seedlings, I'm including a spot for them to grow in the new garden arrangement. I'd love to see them beneath the blueberries and the sunflowers, getting good sun and nourishment while they turn into hosta.

It has to be a fun thing to do. even though I'd never want to scuffle a one of them. Yet, sooner or later, decisions must be made.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Geez, I leave my scapes on every year and I have never seen a seedling from a hosta. I find all kinds of other things that reseed but not hosta :(

You have some nice seedlings though, lucky you!

Linda

• esox48
    9 years ago

I've got more volunteers than store-bought hostas. Some I've dug up and planted in better spots. The others are a nice ground cover and smother weeds.

• esox48
    9 years ago

Dick Ward has a bevy of volunteers.

All volunteers except for Alex Summers. I don't think any are from Alex.

I'm about to move this montana Aureomarginata volunteer. Plenty of small ones scattered about as well.

• User
    9 years ago

Esox, those volunteers are amazing. I love Dick Ward, anything off those seeds is bound to be a winner. Then the montana Aureo is a big plant already. I got one this year, nothing like your seedling even, but I've got high hopes.

Now I get back to the garden and make space for seedling surprises. Hope I recognize them when they show up.

• Eleven
    9 years ago

mocc, the funny thing is that the volunteers look just like miniature hostas. Even a leaf that is half a centimeter long! I pulled a few this weekend before I laid down some soil. Will try and take a pic of the tiny guys tonight for you.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Theses seedlings are Nature's darlings alright! What is almost a phenomenon for me seems to be the norm for you folks! :-).

I went out today to pick up more of my hostas at Hosta Fever from my original order. I still haven't dug up my little Tot. Too busy buying companions for him, LOL

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Now these are the kind of weedlings I would like. I always leave the scapes on and have yet to get a hosta babe. Some of these little ones have nice character to them already.

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks for offering the tiny plant's pictures Eleven. I enjoy seeing them from the very beginning.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Gesila, nice looking seedlings. All of them look healthy and very pretty.

I've been leaving the scapes on over winter the last few years, mainly so I don't step on the pips in the spring. Now I have a gazillion seedlings sprouting everywhere but nothing near L. Legal Tender or Dick Ward, virtually nothing in their bed.

My seedlings are only yellow, blue or green, some a shiny green though..no streaks or variegations. I've been grouping some of them by color.

I have a lot of bare spots between my hostas under the trees, the seedlings there I'm letting be, hoping they won't get too big. If they do I can always give them away.

I find it amazing that these seedlings survive under maples even, whereas the store -bought ones struggle.

I only have two streaked hostas - Ice Age Trail and Dorset Clown- but I'm hoping I'll get a variegated seedling one day.

Thanks for starting this thread. It's encouraging to see how nicely your seedlings have developed.