Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franknjim

My Homemade Hosta Markers

franknjim
13 years ago

I had been wanting to have some halfway decent markers. I have used vinyl mini blinds and vertical blinds for years and have used zinc markers. Working with the budget of $0.00 I came up with a plan using things I have around the house.

A 23" x 32" piece of ¼" acrylic from a display case, coat hangers and a label printer. These could be made perfectly if a person took their time and used a router table to clean up the saw marks on the edges. Edges can be heat polished to appear clear again.

I took pics while making them and thought I would share.

The tools, labels printed and piece of acrylic

{{gwi:1036887}}

Eight 2" wide strips cut and a little left over. I have more ideas for different designs.

{{gwi:1036888}}

I used electrical tape to bind the 8 strips together for cutting.

{{gwi:1036889}}

After the first two cuts.

{{gwi:1036890}}

After a few more cuts.

{{gwi:1036891}}

After cleaning up chunky edges.

{{gwi:1036893}}

A little jig to hold the stacks of 8 for drilling.

{{gwi:1036896}}

After drilling. I broke two that were on the bottom.

{{gwi:1036897}}

They had to be gently tapped apart. 110 good ones, 2 broken.

{{gwi:1036898}}

How I cut the hangers. The top two for tall plant markers and the bottom for short markers.

{{gwi:1036899}}

Trying them on for size.

{{gwi:1036900}}

{{gwi:1036901}}

{{gwi:1036902}}

I used the white hangers because I had the most of them. I donÂt like them and already have a new idea for better holders that will add style.

I am thinking about using 8 gauge bare copper wire as the holders with 12 or 10 gauge bare copper wire soldered to and vined up the holder. Cut small leaves from sheet copper and soldered onto the wires. Applying a patina used in stained glass would turn it instantly dark or time will give it a patina.

Something like this.

{{gwi:1036903}}

Comments (40)

• freshair2townsquare
    13 years ago

wow! you rawk!
    i was expecting long stakes & couldn't figure out where you were going with the 45/45/90 triangles until i saw the pics with the hanger - slow on the up-take, i guess
    thanks for showing us - now to convince the DH . . . :-)
    ~ freshair

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Fantastic idea!!!!!

Alexa

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

VERY INVENTIVE!
    Cool idea.

Just a thought.... try using clear tape. It'd kinda keep with the artful nature of the project!

• tepelus
    13 years ago

Very cute!

Karen

• razorbackfan
    13 years ago

What a smart idea! Thank you for the step by step instructions.

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Great idea and they look beautiful! I am a not so crafty person so I will have to stick with the metal ones!

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!
    Have you concidered selling them?
    I would be interested,send me an e mail.
    Very impressive indeed
    cAROL

• mary52zn8tx
    13 years ago

I really like those. Great job!! Thanks for sharing.

• idiothe
    13 years ago

nice work!

I'm reminded of the old joke...
    "Would you like me to teach you how to get rich?"
    "Sure... teach away!"
    "Well... first you scrape together a million dollars, then you..."

You may have started with a zero budget - but for most of us, the materials, tools, and technical training would be quite an investment! Even if I had the rest of the stuff, the idea of putting together that jig for drilling - wouldn't have come to my mind in 40 years!

Definitely - consider selling them to the more technically challenged! Get some good zinc wire and a jig for bending it... you've got a good product that might have a profit in it...

• freshair2townsquare
    13 years ago

my DH created a guard for the front-side of our treadmill with a clear-but-coffee-colored piece of acrylic

so if you are interested (if you're thinking about multiple variations) in a more visually blended-in look, as opposed to creating a piece of garden art (as indicated in your ideas for future design change), you might consider acrylic other than clear - green, light brown, etc

i'm working on my DH - wish me luck :-)

~ freshair

• franknjim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone. I am considering the copper wire since slugs don't like it and it will turn a nice green color naturaly. Clear or colored glass pendants that are edge wrapped with lead cane might work as well. I used to do stained glass. I also do acrylic repair on aquarium equipment. My skills in a few different trades also helps when it comes to making things. While others see a pile of junk, I see potential projects that can be done.

I'll be working on coming up with other markers. I like the rock idea but if I did that I would have to drill a hole in each rock to put it up on a rod.

• i-like-to-grow
    13 years ago

I like this... I like this a lot(said like Forrest Gump)

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

EXCELLENT!! I am mechanically challenged and am blown away at the creativity I see on these forums every day. I hope you do decide to make these for sale. I would also be interested in purchasing them if you do. Great job, VERY professional. How are the hosta names attached? Thanks.
    -Sprout

• hostabff
    13 years ago

I love these markers. The best I have ever seen. Nice job and very creative. The copper idea is great. So many markers rust and pit. For these reasons I have invested in all stainless steal markers. Your markers are definitely marketable!!!

• freshair2townsquare
    13 years ago

i-like-to-grow:
    "I like that marker . . . that's a nice marker." [said like Donkey]

franknjim:
    my DH loves to play with stained glass - he makes Christmas ornaments & window hangings (up to about 12")

~ freshair

• soinspired
    13 years ago

Excellent idea! Lets the beauty of the hostas show thru without seeing just a bunch of signs in the flower beds. And, I love that you used items that were just on hand.

• flowerchild59
    13 years ago

Great idea and so economical. You did a awesome job. And yes, I think you have a sellable product.

• merrybookwyrm
    13 years ago

Love your plant markers, they're wonderful. The copper with leaves is a cool idea, and very pretty, too. There might be one thing to think about with the copper-- copper thieves... Think the price of copper is still pretty high.

• jel48
    13 years ago

Your markers are wonderful. Very attractive.

• andi_mn
    13 years ago

i think your markers are absolutely gorgeous! love the triangular design. let us know when you are going into business. andi

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

just super.. if you have the tools.. lol ...

you ought to make a couple thousand.. and come sell them at hosta college and at the national convention ...

think about a jig and stainless steel standards ...

i have used hangers to hold irrigation pipe.. and they only last a few years.. before they rust off in the ground ...

i suspect you will find copper too soft ....

below is pic of some that phil lisik makes in his garage ... stainless plate.. but i am not sure of the standard .... that one is 10 years old ... [you should be able to find him in the hosta soc phone book]

ken

{{gwi:772141}}

• franknjim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The solid heavy gauge copper wire used for grounding breaker and meter boxes is very stiff. The key to this is to make different types of markers as inexpensively as I can. Recycling when possible. A friend of mine buys out store display fixtures and always has a ton of unusual acrylic that would normally end up in a dumpster.

My new line of thought is going with all acrylic. Acrylic rods of different thickness for different heights. I am thinking 6", 12" & 18". I have a couple sizes out in the garage as well as some of the solvents for acrylic to give it a try.

• zaphod42
    13 years ago

Very cool. Have you ever seen the website etsy.com? If not, its a website kinda like Amazon where you can find a huge range of stuff but for homemade and craft items. A place like that would be great for selling any variety of markers you come up with.

• franknjim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My new and improved:
    Disappearing Hosta Markers

6" marker is 12" tall with 3/8" acrylic rod
    12" marker is 18" tall with 3/8" acrylic rod
    18" marker is 24" tall with 1/2" acrylic rod

They have a triangle 6" up from the pointed bottom like a T-post. The name plate is at a 45 degree angle and measures 1.25" x 3".

I am liking how these look. They pretty much disappear. You can see the leaves right through the markers. Clear label tape with black letters would probably make them hard to read.

{{gwi:1036905}}

{{gwi:1036907}}

{{gwi:1036909}}

{{gwi:1036911}}

{{gwi:1036913}}
    I didnÂt push these markers all the way down into the ground as the joints have not fully dried yet and wonÂt for about a day.

I am still figuring up the logistics of what all it will take and cost to do plant markers. I am not even sure of what different types of plant markers sell for. I will have to do some research. I like these disappearing plant markers best and will still probably do some more artsy ones. When I look at the first set of markers I made that are all over out in the yard, I see the wires.

I just had another bright idea! Build a better slug trap. Along the lines of using beer, a reservoir for it with edges that would make it easy for slugs to check in and an easily removable roof to keep rain out. Sort of like a Little Shadey Slug Spa. I will think on that.

You will have to excuse my sloppiness. Some of my labels are less than straight as well as the markers not being in the ground exactly straight either. I currently have a bad head and chest cold that is closing up my ears and it has me slowed down and off kilter at the moment.

• freshair2townsquare
    13 years ago

yet another fabulous design! - your innovation is exciting - please continue to keep us posted

watching a creative person work is often more interesting than the final product :-)

~ freshair

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Just get one of the electric or battery etchers and write the names on the plastic. The sun won't fade it and the weather won't wash it off, and there is no tape to distract from the plants.
    Great Job.
    pa

• schoolb1
    13 years ago

Way Kool!!Get a patent!!Then make the heck out of them and sell them to us!!Judy

• gardengirl_nancy
    13 years ago

I missed this the first time around. Frank you are so creative! I'd buy them!

• ajfan
    13 years ago

Beautiful work!! Judging by the number of comments by posters on this site you have a very marketable product there. Give us an idea on price point if you're interested in mass producing...I'd definitely order up a bunch here in Canada.

• jagd
    13 years ago

Awesome markers! I think everyone will want these, including me! Were you wanting a new job, cause I think it will keep you busy.

• franknjim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I still have my plans for these but I kind of let my hosta addiction get the better of me with 140 new varieties added this year while keeping a bunch of other projects in motion at the same time.

One of which is currently learning and setting up an automated online store for The Untied States Neapolitan Club which will come in handy for setting up an online store for my plant markers.

This will be a full time work at home job for me in addition to starting a breeding program of Neapolitan Mastiffs.

• woodthrush
    13 years ago

They look really nice, Jim. Wow, 140 hosta, you are definitely hanging with the wrong people!
    Pam

• franknjim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pam (wrong people),

You are so crazy! :^p

FRANK lol

• tomahawkclaim
    13 years ago

I'm incredibly impressed. I don't use any markers in my garden because it's historic; my husband and I think markers make it look too commercial. But if I ever change my mind, I'd use yours with clear, not white, labels. That way the only thing you'd see is the name on the clear acrylic. The etching idea is also good, but I'd worry about mis-spellings which would waste the label. You've definitely got a winning product. One picture in any great gardening magazine would overwhelm you with orders. Nance

• i-like-to-grow
    13 years ago

words cannot express....not much makes me jealous.. but my friend.....
    thanks for sharing!
    John

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Cute! But NO FREAKING way those are gonna last!....:0) I've tried everything. Etching into metal works and is so labor instensive....I've started keeping internet files with pictures.....so I can identify it later. :0)

• caroline94535
    13 years ago

I love these markers! I also love the idea of the copper-twinned one, too.

Please add me to your potential mailing lists!

• nickiadkins
    12 years ago

I am not sure if these markers will last, but they look nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nicki

• Julie
    12 years ago

Hey- I wanna see em!!

Please?

• franknjim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here they are. I stopped using a web hosting company where I used to store all of my pictures so they all vanished.

{{gwi:1036915}}

{{gwi:1036916}}

{{gwi:1036919}}

{{gwi:1036920}}

I got a new puppy right after I made these so she took up all of my time. She is still a puppy but is over 100lbs now. We have 1 large and 4 giant breed dogs that keep me running in addition to my hostas.