Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vpeterson_gw

working on a rock wall

vpeterson
10 years ago

I brought up some rocks from the lake to try and create a rock wall which will serve as a barrier between my small hostas and some larger ones. Not sure how long it will stay up, but it was fun to create. Fire Island is on the left with Striptease on the right. In front is Yellow Boa.

Comments (18)

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

How pretty! I love rock walls! Nice job, too.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I like it. Great idea to separate the large ones from the little guys.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

That's fun for now... and won't be too hard to relocate in the future. just keep in mind where these guys are going... Striptease is a relatively fast grower, so in 3-4 years it might hit a 3' diameter... and can certainly go to 4'. Fire Island, for me, has stopped at about 20" in diameter - but I'm growing in in a raised bed so that might be limiting it some. So little Yellow Boa will be seeking a new home in a few years...

• mommomsgarden
    10 years ago

I LOVE this idea!! I am going to do the same!! thank you I will post the pics!!

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

You picked them up at the lake? If I found a rock like that here in Florida somebody brought it here. Looking real good. Paula

• User
    10 years ago

Amen to that, Paula! I had serious rock envy the first time we drove through New Hampshire....the place is one big piece of granite... they don't hit roots when they dig as much as they hit ROCK.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I like your rock wall....Colorado has a couple of rocks lying around, too. : )

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

That design effort is really nice. I love the natural setting for hostas - as natural as it can be considering they are from Asia!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Careful VP, collecting rocks can become compulsive..

Jon

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Jonny. . .what a wonderful effect!! I LOVE that!!
    Rock collecting can be as addicting as hosta collecting. When Shiloh (my paint mare) and I go out for a ride, we always come back with a saddlebag full of rocks. I especially like riding creek beds. If I find something to big to lift I wrap it in a gunny sack or rope and drag it back. One time a hunter followed my drag mark. . he thought someone bagged a big deer and he wanted to get a look at it. . .lol

Ya got to have a special place in your heart for rock collectors.. . gooood people. . oh, yeah. . .

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Sydney,

Living at the edge of what was the last Ice Age, it is impossible to dig a hole without hitting rock here. The 'gully' started out as a place to dispose of rocks and evolved as I started to hunt for some large ones.

It is definitely an example of having lemons and making lemonade.

I love the name Shiloh.

Jon

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Shiloh's my partner in crime. . You would be supprised how many apples you can filch on top of her. . .The farmers around here play the game and pretend they don't see us. . one for her and one for me. . Well, you know rock hunting for the hosta garden is hard work. .
    Notice the angel fish mark on her neck? . . that's cause she's an angel. . lol. . .She has a dove in flight on her other side of her belly. The saddle covers it up in that picture though. . .She's my buddy. . and a good hosta fertilizer producer, to boot! ; )

Saddled up and ready to go. . opps. . forgot the saddlebags. .lol

• User
    10 years ago

Sidney, it is a real blessing to have an equine angel join the troupe. As you say, she helps in the garden.

The world must look different from the back of a horse.

• sm4657
    10 years ago

I love rocks too.........and love your horse.....I have 4 AQHA mares....but no rocks around to hunt for :)

This is my granddaughter on her first ride.....

• sm4657
    10 years ago

I love rocks too.........and love your horse.....I have 4 AQHA mares....but no rocks around to hunt for :)

This is my granddaughter on her first ride.....

{{!gwi}}

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Oh man, no chance of having a horse in my neighborhood! I'm jealous.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I love these stories and pics! Good story about the huge, bagged deer :)

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I love these stories and pics! Good story about the huge, bagged deer :)

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz