Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

Disappointing greenhouse in Springfield...

brandys_garden
10 years ago

They had some nice hosta species... But they all looked HORRIBLE and unhealthy! The leaves were brown and crunchy and tearing, etc. YUCK. The only kind that looked OK was called Midwest Magic. Never heard of it. I didn't buy anything. So, I will be happy with 15 when H. June and H. Luna Moth arrive!

Comments (9)

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Brandy, good for you for walking away. I went to one of my favorite nurseries 3 times just to make sure I was seeing clearly. Walked away empty handed each time and very disappointed. Online hosta purchasing scares me because it's way to easy, but that may be the way to go. Bummer though and you know you're going to have to rearrange 100 times before the new kids arrive, lol :). WW

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was just an all around disappointing trip. We both had heard of several places we wanted to check out... Most of them, we couldn't find! The ones we did were closed and many said "Only open on weekends." We drove by one open that we weren't looking for, but went in so it wasn't a wasted trip. Well, like I said, they had what would be considered nice species of hosta, even blues, but they all looked awful!!! My friend didn't even by any flowers because they looked terrible, too! She said "We should have just gone to Walmart at home."

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

It's been a tough year for nurseries. I ordered Frank Lloyd Wright from a good place, and they couldn't fill the order. Not one of them came up. A lot of the things that did looked off. The weather was just so bad.....I have hopes for next year.

Some of mine look scruffy, too. Days on end of cold cloudy weather, no leaves on the trees, and a sunny 100 day will do that. We went from 32 degrees to 100 in less than 48 hours and the open air hostas just fried.

Better luck next year!

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Going to Springfield Saturday, to the Botanic Gardens, and will try to go to Wickman's and Hilltop before we go to a hosta society meeting in the evening. It will be a full day!

Sandy

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sandy, We couldn't find Wickmans. I want to go to Hilltop so bad but it was out of our way! :( I wish I could ask you to pick something up for me and then ship it! LOL!
    I am still going to really try to go to Hilltop very soon!

Madplanter, I am very picky when I choose a hosta. It has to be near perfect and look wonderful. I want the best looking they have and I always get the best looking one, too.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Wickman's is just off the Kansas Expressway and W. Sunshine. Don't know what they have for hostas but we go there for other things too.

They also have a Monet location but I have not been there, strange as my brother in law lives in Monet. Guess we'll have to make it a point to go there next time, also to the Joplin Greenhouse location by Monet.

I'll be thinking about you when we go to Hilltop, I get to spend my wooden dollars there too, that are good for $2 off on a purchase, each!

Oscar said they would have Bridal Falls hosta in June, hope they still have some!

Sandy

OOps, meant to add this link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Wickman's

This post was edited by mosswitch on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 19:43

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We didn't go to that area in Springfield. Joplin is much farther than even Ash Grove (Hilltop) for me so if I am having trouble getting to Hilltop, Joplin is out of the question. But thanks anyway. I'll look at the link and see if I can't get up there soon. Thanks!

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Joplin Greenhouse has a location at Monet, Brandy, as well as the one in Joplin. If you are close to Monet you might take a look next time you are that way.

Sandy

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks... Updated in new post! ;)