Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tehyajenz6

Cut the leaves off?

TehyaJenZ6
10 years ago

Memorial weekend I divided and transplanted hostas. Some of the leaves "melted" from transplant shock as I'd expect. They are doing okay in their new location - some of them look like they may be sprouting new leaves.

Before the dividing and moving, the hostas were attacked by something (slugs?) eating holes in all of the leaves. They looked pretty bad.

I'm wondering if could/should cut them down, either just the dying leaves or even if I cut down the eaten leaves as well if it is likely to grow back out this year.

Here's a pic to show the size of the hostas I'm talking about. If it matters, weather here is running about 80 during the day, 60ish at night.

Comments (8)

• TehyaJenZ6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one shows the size of the plants I'd be cutting the leaves off. Pic taken immediately after planting.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

If you do, it will take energy from the plant. You get to choose - prettier this year and smaller next year or uglier this year and bigger next year.

Next time you want to move fully leafed out hosta, try the method at the link below.

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: moving a fully leafed out hosta

• TehyaJenZ6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Had no idea about the tape, thanks.

Uglier and bigger it is. Any guesses as to how long it might take for that area to be filled? The smallest hosta there has 4 eyes I believe.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Water, water and water. Don't forget the fertilizer and it will surprise you next year.

bk

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I never "cut" a leaf off - ever. It the pet gets broken and bent and the blade remains green I let it lay. If after a while the blade definitely is dead and has no color I will twist and pull the dead pet out. Somehow several petiole were broken when I'd planted a new Vulcan 3 weeks ago. The blades are touching the ground but are still the same color as the others. They are doing their job, though broken, and bringing the sun's energy down to the developing crown and roots.

Theresa

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

I'm the contrarian here. I feel cutting off damaged leaves will allow the hosta to concentrate on new growth and healthy leaves. Others disagree and say there is some differentiation between trees, bushes and other plants. The AHS agrees that culling leaves is a reasonable approach. I would never cut more than 1/3 of the leaves and if the plant is stressed from transplant or any other reason, I wold agree to keep all the leaves intact damaged or not.

Jon

• bellafiore
    9 years ago

I used the method that was mentioned above (link)...taping the leaves together...and it is working great. This way I was able to save all the leaves and not sacrifice the energy they produce for the plant.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i didnt read all the replies...

but cutting off the leaves is way old school ... and is just fine...

but it is delayed gratification for next year ...

its how all mail order used to be done ...

trying to keep the leaves... is.. on some level.. instant gratification ... and if it works... it works .. and if it doesnt.. just leave the petiole for photosynthesis ... and cut off the leaf face ... and know that next year.. they will be fine ... when cut.. think grocer celery stalks ...

ken