Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evermore_gw

Hosta of the Day - Blue Angel

Big, bold, and beautiful! That's what appeals to me in this fast-growing blue that has quickly outgrown its space. I know that others also value this one, and would love to see your pics. As I said at the outset, my choice of a different hosta every day is simply an attempt to concentrate on a single specimen rather than the whole lot, and consider: why do I love this one? Please join in. And thank you for looking in while I indulge my fancy.

Steve

Comments (19)

• User
    10 years ago

There was a TV game show, way back in the day.....
    QUEEN FOR A DAY. Very special attention paid to just one, I like that too. I do that with my container hosta, pick one or two and set them on a pedestal, watch them, let them shine.

I remember in early 2012 when I agonized over the possible HVX of the plants I got from Lowes. Blue Angel was one, Winter Snow was the other. It seemed the more I agonized, the prettier it became. Until someone suggested why not go ahead and TEST for HVX and get it over with. Which is what I did. Discovering that HVX was not present, it was cause for celebration. Oh yes, that pretty Blue Angel and Winter Snow were fine in the ground and did not contaminate my soil.

Here is my Blue Angel, planted in the ground in May 2011, so it is one of my older hosta. Holding its blue fairly well and dealing with our heat and humidity too.

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Oh yeah. . .What's not to love. . .Just beautiful!

• mmarnold
    10 years ago

Here are my Blue Angels.Hope the pic is right side up!If its not I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I really like my Blue angels they are about two years old. The name always reminds me of the Navy Blue Angels stunt team. As a army brat raised on military bases I saw them a lot.

• mmarnold
    10 years ago

Please be upright!

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by mmarnold on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 18:31

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

When I bought Blue Angel last year, this one was on sale. None of the other Blue Angels were on sale and this one was green. The rest were blue. I was afraid that it was misnamed and a noid but it was so cheap I went ahead and bought it to see what it would turn out like. I am hoping it looks like the rest of these Blue Angels.on this thread.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

The first Hosta I fell in love with. About 4 years ago I saw it in a display garden at a nursery and walked around and around it looking for a tag. The nursery lady said, "It's beautiful isn't it. It's Blue Angel." I planted it that day, the first Hosta in my garden. I made the rest of the bed around it.

This is one of the plants that Aden stole from the garden of Florence Shaw. It's got obvious sieboldiana genes in it, but I also think she used something like Donahue Piecrust or Green Piecrust or maybe montana Mac. Notice that the leaves drape into a neat clump in the way Elegans does, but it's bigger and the leaves are heart shaped with ruffled edges. Definitely something montana in it.

Steve

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

Ok , I have to ask, when you say "STOLE" do you mean gave her no credit for using her plant? Or do you mean he literally stuck it in a bag when nobody was looking !

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

If Elegans wasn't the dominating matron in my garden I would so have one of these Angels.

It is a gorgeous hosta and a stand out no matter where you plant it.

But . . . my heart belongs to another big blue lady. :p

Ludi

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

The second hosta I bought because it was easy to find :) Oh, those were the days... lol
    {{gwi:1029112}}

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Leafwatcher,

It's hard to know for sure how he did it, since Florence's daughter is in her mid-80s and is unable to let us know the specifics of how Aden "acquired" the plants from Florence's garden. But we know that Aden showed up in Weston after Florence died in June of 1975. He left with a number of plants.

He could have talked the daughter into giving him those plants or he could have dug them up without permission. There are stories of him having done that in other gardens. In either case in 1976 Aden registered a number of plants in his name that others specifically recall having first seen in Florence's Birchwood Garden in Weston, MA. Blue Angel was registered later in 1986.

Steve

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

New in 2011

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

My original plant this year...

And a four year old 4-eyed division last year...

tj

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I just moved mine out of the woods,after it languished there for years,and never did much. I hope next year it will improve. Phil

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

One of the first hosta I purchased and it has proved to be a winner. Love the blooms held just above the leaves. Stately and reserved, and huge!

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

After seeing all the pics,I can only conclude that Blue Angel is a 'northern' hosta,and they won't grow down south! Phil

• Lee
    10 years ago

Blue Angel

• Lee
    10 years ago

Blue Angel

This post was edited by melati on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 11:32

• ogrefcf
    10 years ago

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I also like the blue angel because it grows quickly and leaves are getting larger and filling in spaces nicely. Besides the blue color the slugs don't bother it. Certainly an added beauty to the garden. This is a second year plant