Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_on

ocd?

jan_on zone 5b
10 years ago

Someone over on the perennial forum suggested that for some of us hosta folk, our affliction is more like obsessive compulsive disorder than like gardening! I laughed out loud, and thought she (or he) is probably right. If the shoe fits.....
Jan

Comments (38)

• idiothe
    10 years ago

am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!! am not!!!

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?What Do you mean?

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

lol. I think many "collectors" fall into OCD tendencies. And yes, hosta collectors tend to also be a bit obsessive.

I have my main hosta garden + 3 other areas that have all hostas. I also have my heuchera garden. But then I also have 3 mixed perennial gardens.

The interesting thought here is that because I like to "collect", I find that my mixed perennial gardens tend to look more chaotic and not really very pleasing. But the hosta gardens... having the single unifying element, tend to be more harmonious..

Go figger.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

I know you are but what am I?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Oh well......I'd finish this post, but I have to go order more HOSTA!!!

Don B.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I have perennials too. The front of my house is in sun, and there I have non-hosta perennials interspersed with conifers. Right now the ones in bloom look great for a week or 2 and then have only not too interesting leaves. I have to keep deadheading them or they look messy. Some of them will die or have a lot of seedlings. So after they bloom they are no longer interesting. Some will bloom later though.

In the back I have more shade and there most perennials do poorly, and there I have most of my hostas. Hostas do more of a show then other perennials, and for a longer time.
    Bernd

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

My husband says I'm going to eventually star on that tv show "Hoarders" if I'm not careful!

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

There are worse obsessions you could ! have! I know a gal that hides things she buys from her husband, so he doesn't know how much she spends! You can't hide Hostas in a closet! (Well, I guess you can but they wouldn't last long!)

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Definition of gardening:

"the activity of planning and looking after a garden"

Who does that better job of that than hosta lovers?

Gesila

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

I am obsessed and I admit it....hostas and dahlias. Hostas in the shade look great in the spring and early summer and the dahlias in the sun take the stage in late summer until frost. I don't want to give up either.

Linda

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Gesila.....D*mn right!

Don B.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Yup. Don't Block the Exits!!!!!!!!!

-Babka

• Marinewifenc
    10 years ago

Even worse is the ocd agorophobic, I actually had both lol and blocking the exits sounds very tempting.

I need to feel at home
    Hostas feel like home
    I need hostas
    Hostas make me smile
    I need to smile more
    I need more hostas

^that is exactly why I started on hostas

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

For me my OCD is about garden design and the health of my plants rather than collecting every variety. Obsessing over the weather, viruses, slugs, deer, rabbits, voles, aphids, planting depth, spacing, color, you name it. I have to remind myself that somethings I have no control over, mistakes are lessons, and so far the garden police have not arrested me. Have fun, have fun, have fun, have fun....WW

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I am not obsessed,I'm convinced!! Phil

• irawon
    10 years ago

Very interesting topic, Jan. I think most people obsess about one thing or another ... their homes, their cars, their jobs, their kids etc.

It's important to have a passion in life and for us here on the hosta forum its hostas. We probably obsess about other things too. My take on it ... if your obsession doesn't hurt you or others, then its OK.

I have a gardening friend who has a gorgeous garden ...not a hostaholic... she gets uptight if her plants touch one another...everything in her garden is beautifully spaced, orderly and coordinated. The result is someting that everyone enjoys.

I'm getting to the point where I prefer to garden in my shady beds ... fewer weeds grow there. I'm also trying to incorporate more shade perennials into my hosta beds.

I don't think gardening in general has anything to do with o.c.d. It has everything to do with creating and expressing yourself with plant material and you can't do that successfully unless you are willing to work at it and have the capacity to nurture.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Sounds like sour grapes to me. We're having more fun.

Beverly

• Gesila
    10 years ago

LOL Beverly, yep, they're just jealous!

Gesila

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Those are the people who scoff at us hosta gardeners publicly and then lurk here all day, looking at all of OUR pics! : )

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Lol! Living in Canada, our time to garden is much too short so if I 'obsess' or love to garden 'too' much then so be it. I have to get it done while I can and the memories & pics have to last me another 7 or 8 months.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Ok, I'll be honest here...as a longtime GW lurker and prowler, I stumbled on the hosta forum a couple years ago, totally unsuspecting. I browsed posts for ten minutes or so, decided you were all bonkers, and went back to look for a pretty flowery forum.

The next day, I found myself with hostas on my mind. Checked back in on the forum, confirmed that "yep, they're all bonkers in here," and moved on. But a funny thing started happening. I began actually SEEING the hostas when I walked the neighborhood. I began NOTICING their lush forms and painted leaves. Then I started browsing them in nurseries and pointing them out in garden mags. Then I realized I was lurking more and more often in that bonkers hosta forum with those bonkers hosta nuts.

Then one fateful night last fall I found myself placing online hosta orders at 2am while up with my newborn. And I realized I couldn't remember the last time the hosta forum sounded bonkers.

Guess I've gone native.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL Jadie, that's a great post!

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Lol! Good one! and congrats on your baby (the real one, not the hostas).

Paula

• User
    10 years ago

Hey, Jadie, you've become one of us, honey! You also express it very well.

I suppose we do get a bit carried away. A passion for something beats the heck out of B-O-R-I-N-G.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Amen.

bk

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

OCD, what's that stand for? Obsession, Clovely, Delta Dawn? Or Olive Branch, Candy Dish, Dancing Queen? On Stage, City Lights, Dream Queen?

Sandy

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Sandy, I always thought it stood for Ocean Isle, Cadillac and Deep Blue Sea!

Don B.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Or all of the above!

Sandy

• chris-e
    10 years ago

I have wondered if I should post this, I don't want to spoil anyone's fun, but we do not have OCD about hostas. We have a passion, as someone else said and a hobby and an interest and whatever else you want to call it. My grandson has OCD, and believe me, it is not fun.

Sorry, the subject is just a little too close to home for me.

chris

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reminder, chris. I'll join you in this serious divergence...

I used to have a similar concern about our talking about ourselves as "hostaholics." My personal and professional lives have been much involved with alcoholism and, given all the negatives, it makes it harder to go along with the humorous description.

I have, a couple of times, seen hosta collecting become a piece of mental health issues... actually, collecting can become hoarding and be a version of OCD... and someone who gets pleasure from acquiring hostas rather than growing them is not too different from the alcoholic seeking one more drink and the elusive high they used to get.

I say "I used to be more concerned" as I got comfortable with the way hosta people are making good-hearted humor about their passion... but there is no demeaning backlash on people actually suffering from mental health issues like OCD or alcoholism.

Always good to remind ourselves... but no harm done. Our best to you and your grandson. I was a counselor for 30 years and have OCD in a family member close to home - I know how rough it can be.

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Hi Chris, Without going into a major bio I will admit that I too suffer from OCD and you're right, it is not fun. I went undiagnosed for over 50 years and am living proof that there is hope. May God guide your Grandson so he may enjoy all the blessings the world has to offer. Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs, Wendy
    p.s. speaking for myself I would say most gardeners are lovers of all creatures great and small and meant no harm. If I knew a way to keep aphids and slugs off my plants without killing them, I'd do it. GWF has given me wonderful Eco friendly advise on many of my gardening issues which has relieved some of my anxiety. I've laughed, I've learned, I've seen incredible pics of beauty, and I've been reminded to have fun and not take things so seriously. Thanks peeps! WW

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Idiothe, we must have been posting at the same time. Ditto to what you said. My t-shirt should read.....
    "ONE DAY-ONE GARDEN-ONE HOSTA AT TIME.". Thank you, Wendy

• chris-e
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies Jim and Wendy. Your words meant a lot to me. It is tough because he is 12 and just moving into the difficult teen years. We thought he was just quirky for years but my daughter had the sense to take him to a psychologist and got a diagnosis and he is in counseling now.

I Almost deleted the post, I don't want anyone to think I am a kill-joy. This is all on this subject for me.

PS I thought the pot feet were hysterical!

chris

• User
    10 years ago

ChrisE, when the pot feet arrive, I'll show them proudly. :)

• jadie88
    10 years ago

My thoughts are with you and your grandson, ChrisE. Thank you for sharing. There is indeed an important distinction between good natured self-teasing of hosta enthusiasts and the very real affliction of OCD.

• esther_b
    10 years ago

The more green things (like HOSTAS) we plant, the more oxygen we are helping form, and the more CO2 we remove from the atmosphere. The more mellow greens and soft golden yellows in our environment, the more restful it is on the eyes. Let us not forget the good exercise it is to lug 30 and 50 lb. bags of soil and fertilizer, or stooping over and over again to plant our babies. It is psychologically beneficial to receive many compliments on our gardens.

And the downside is...?

• chris-e
    10 years ago

I don't think there is a downside, esther, unless it is the ruination of joints and back! I agree with you all the way about planting. Hubby and I moved into this house 6 years ago to avoid stairs because of bad backs and knees. Since then I have added 4 separate gardens of over 160 hosta and we have added numerous shrubs, 14 trees and other plants to a very empty grass lot. So much for the knees and backs!

chris