Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Made in the Shade Road Trip!

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

I've checked out their website, and have begun planning a drive out to their location. It seems to be the closest business of their caliber to me, and about a 7-hour drive from my home in Westminster, CO. That is TOTALLY doable in a weekend!(I'll take the Jetta turbo..VROOM)!!!

Late summer is when I'm shooting for. Anyone here ever been there?

Regards,
Don B.

Comments (4)

• User
    10 years ago

(Why am I hearing Bluto calling Toga Toga Toga in my head)....or is it Road Trip Road Trip I hear.

No, haven't been. I think the trip is totally awesome and very doable. You have a turbo Jetta....but will it hold your stash? Do you have a roof pod....for your clothing, of course, not the hosta, silly man.....

(Or was it Gum Ball Rally that I hear about to start up?)

Don, I see an AHS convention in your future, very soon.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

We've never been to their place in Olathe... but Rob Mortko is a popular hosta guy... nice demeanor and lots of knowledge... he's often invited as guest speaker by different hosta clubs.

Their two best known registrations are 'Heart and Soul' (a Vanilla Cream sport... and the source of 'Derriere' ;-) )

and Stitch in Time. SIT was an almost instant success... everybody wanted it. I, unfortunately, got a group of tc and they simply wouldn't grow... eventually all of them died, some after lingering a couple years. I still think it is a really interesting hosta and I'd like to start another - but only a division of one that really grows.

See what you find at their home place!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mocc...Oh yes, the Jetta has enough space to hold quite a good amount for it's size; I'll have the cubic feet I need. If I take the 4Runner I'll spend WAY too much, probably including my gas money to get back home!

Jim; yes, I've heard that 'Stitch in Time' is a bit of a bust, but thanks for the heads-up. I'll try to have a conversation about it when I'm there and find out if they're selling plants that are actually living more than 2-3 years before they disappear. It IS a beauty when alive, isn't it? : )

Just curious, is 'Derriere' a sport of 'Heart and Soul' or is it a hybrid? I'm guessing sport? I'm one of those who is a fan of solid greenies; I don't yet have one, but I like it a lot. The second pic of it in The Hosta Library is hilarious. Well-played, sir!

Regards,
    Don B.
    Westminster, CO.

• iahostamom
    10 years ago

I stopped there a couple of years ago... nice greenhouse (albeit smallish) to buy from and pleasant wooded garden to walk through...in a residential neighborhood at his home. Rob was very knowledgeable and pleasant to this fledging hosta mom as he answered any questions I had. Yes SIT was there and I got mine... do enjoy the road trip!