Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ourhomeinthewoods

what is this pretty blue hosta?

ourhomeinthewoods
10 years ago

Hi,

We grow about 45 hosta varieties. When we first started collecting about 10 years ago, we didn't keep the names, others lost the name tags when we had a flood and landslide that damaged a lot of our yard. I'm posting photos of the 9 I'm not sure of. Any help would be much appreciated!

Unidentified blue hosta # 1

this is a really pretty blue hosta, you can see the size relative to the hydrangea and columbine in the photos.

Comments (9)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I don't have hydrangea, but the hosta looks small. If so, I would think Blue Cadet.

bk

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

I do not have the experience or eye to tell you I'm afraid, it does however greatly resemble (to me) the Blue Jay I just bought,or I should say the Blue Jay adult the seller had.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Its close to Blue Jay but I think I'm leaning toward Blue Cadet. My Blue Jay doesn't have quite the heart-shaped leaf that this one has. Relative to the columbine, the leaves of this one seem smaller as well. My only pause is that I'm not sure Blue Cadet gets that blue.

tj

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

I don't think it's Blue Cadet. BC has blue-green leaves and not nearly the wax this picture shows.

The powder blue color is more indicative of Halcyon, but the size is wrong. Hmmmmm

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

If you'll look at ourhome's other photos of blue hosta, you'll notice that they all look REALLY blue. It's either the light or the camera. Compare the photo evermore posted of ADG and the photo Ourhome posted of Abiqua Drinking Gourd.

The color is off on these blue hosta that he/she has posted. They are all way too blue.

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

a scale would sure help on your ID pix ...

and if you have any idea how old it is.. that also ... no need dredging up newer named hosta.. rather than older namest ...

e.g. blue jay was not around 10 years ago ... so if your plant is that old ..... it cant be BJay

ken

• User
    10 years ago

Okay, so discounting the blueness caused by the camera, it could be one of several in the medium size. That have been around for the right length of time.

I'm used to seeing hosta in pots, where their size is quickly apparent. In the ground for a long time, where some have the habit of "colonizing" a space, I could not define the plant size. To me, this one looks like its created a group of its own instead of growing really big all alone.

Had not thought about planting hosta around my hydrangeas, but that is a natural here. The blue flowers and the blue hosta look gorgeous together.

Oh yeah. I vote for either Blue Cadet, Banyai's Dancing Girl, or others in that size range--but of those, mine are tending toward blue-green--Happy Hearts, Drummer Boy, Peace.....

well, that's it for me this morning. I have some HOSTA POTTING TO DO. My latest Wade Gatton fragrant order arrived just before dinner last night. Gotta go.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Hasn't Blue Jay been around since the 90s? I know mine is very near to 10 years old.

tj

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I read that Blue Jay was introduced in 1987 but I cannot attest to the accuracy.