Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidney1515

H. Mountain Snow

sidney1515
10 years ago

I love this hosta. I wonder why we don't hear more of it?

Comments (9)

• User
    10 years ago

Sidney, you must extoll its virtues. That way we know more about it. The closest I come to a Mountain Snow is Winter Snow, offspring of Sum And Substance.

How long have you had it? The leaves seem very long. The streaks of lighter green seem to be frosted. Mildly pebbled or corrugated, what about the substance? Is it slug resistant? I sure don't see any holes in its leaves.

Seem to be a lot of reasons to like it, judging by your photos.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

It's a montana. Huge (L/VL) and gorgeous. Any more questions?

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

and slower than molasses in MI in march ... as all montana are

ken

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

My Mountain Snow is only in its third year in my garden, but I bought it because I thought the white streaks were lovely. This hosta is more beautiful than the pictures.

• woodnative
    10 years ago

I had written a similar thread a couple weeks back. A lot of folks mention problems with this one but I have had it by my front step for about 10 or 12 years and no problems and not any special attention. I like it. Here is a photo of mine from two days ago.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Mine is slow but looking okay. I moved it to a less prominent bed last year to give it some more time.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

The elongated leaves are lovely, I haven't heard of this one before, on the list it goes!

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

I'm in my 3rd year with it.
    It's always last up in my garden and is the same pathetic 1-eye, despite getting some sun.

I personally would NOT buy it again.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Just yesterday I was remarking how nice mine looks... but still not very large after at least 15 years in a very dark spot.

As Ken said - molasses!

I have found one montana that has at least medium growth. I removed a green chunk off an On Stage a few years back and popped it into an open spot. It is now a very nice green montana.

(one more reason I don't use the term "reversion." Visually, this is a montana. It comes from On Stage which comes from montana Aureomarginata which comes from montana. Some would maintain that my green sport is just a reversion to the original green montana genes of its great-grandparent. But this plant grows faster than the other montanas nearby... so it is labeled H. "Sport of On Stage" - not H. montana...)