Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H. Mountain Snow

Posted by sidney1515 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 17:21

I love this hosta. I wonder why we don't hear more of it?

photo MountainSnow.jpg

photo 14e7278f-bce8-462c-a671-0337e2833622.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H. Mountain Snow

Sidney, you must extoll its virtues. That way we know more about it. The closest I come to a Mountain Snow is Winter Snow, offspring of Sum And Substance.

How long have you had it? The leaves seem very long. The streaks of lighter green seem to be frosted. Mildly pebbled or corrugated, what about the substance? Is it slug resistant? I sure don't see any holes in its leaves.

Seem to be a lot of reasons to like it, judging by your photos.

o

It's a montana. Huge (L/VL) and gorgeous. Any more questions?

Steve

o

and slower than molasses in MI in march ... as all montana are

ken

o

My Mountain Snow is only in its third year in my garden, but I bought it because I thought the white streaks were lovely. This hosta is more beautiful than the pictures.

Mountain Snow photo MountainSnow.jpg

o

I had written a similar thread a couple weeks back. A lot of folks mention problems with this one but I have had it by my front step for about 10 or 12 years and no problems and not any special attention. I like it. Here is a photo of mine from two days ago.

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 14:18

Mine is slow but looking okay. I moved it to a less prominent bed last year to give it some more time.

o

The elongated leaves are lovely, I haven't heard of this one before, on the list it goes!

o

I'm in my 3rd year with it.
It's always last up in my garden and is the same pathetic 1-eye, despite getting some sun.

I personally would NOT buy it again.

o

Just yesterday I was remarking how nice mine looks... but still not very large after at least 15 years in a very dark spot.

As Ken said - molasses!

I have found one montana that has at least medium growth. I removed a green chunk off an On Stage a few years back and popped it into an open spot. It is now a very nice green montana.

(one more reason I don't use the term "reversion." Visually, this is a montana. It comes from On Stage which comes from montana Aureomarginata which comes from montana. Some would maintain that my green sport is just a reversion to the original green montana genes of its great-grandparent. But this plant grows faster than the other montanas nearby... so it is labeled H. "Sport of On Stage" - not H. montana...)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here