Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie81

Too wet for hostas??

jamie81
10 years ago

I have a question for you all. On the north side of my house, I had a bunch of green & white hostas for years. They did fine, but I wanted something more interesting. So, I have tried several different hostas, and most of them rot.

This year it was a Bressingham Blue, and I think the combination of our never ending winter, and never ending rain just rotted it.

But then I realized how many other hostas I have killed there. An August Moon disappeared after a couple years, and a Great Expectation.

The only thing besides the green & white that has lived is Golden Tiara. I have three of those in the spot, and they look great.

So, finally, the question is - Are there some hostas that can take a damp, shady spot better than others??? Its not really wet there, but I get moss growing, and it never gets direct sunlight. Thanks

Comments (5)

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I have hostas growing in shady damp places. Generally green hostas will survive well in dark places. Hostas with some white in leaves need some sun. It is important to keep the crown above the water level of the soil. The lower parts of roots are OK in standing water, but not the crown. Actually some people have hostas growing in streams or ponds with leaves and crown above the water. I have seedlings in plastic pots which sit in one inch of water. All grow.

Your problem might be that you planted the hostas too deep with the crown not enough above the water level in the soil.
    Bernd

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

it depends on your soil type.; as the roots and crowns need air.. as much as water ... and if the water does not drain due to clay... problems...

the crowns are planted at soil level.. are yours???

did yours sink

why not give us a pic..

as to GE i have had nine of them commit suicide.. what are you complaining about.. lol ... dont even consider that in the equation ...

and why not give us a pic???? we are nosy that way ...

ken

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Bernd. I never thought about that, but I bet thats the problem. That garden slopes down to my backyard and the spot where I am having the problem is the bottom of the hill. And of course the soil tends to wash down the hill.....(nothing obvious about that)

Ken, I had to laugh when I read that. I have figured out that you are nosy, but you want a picture of the mud????

Funny, but the plants are long gone. I don't have clay, but its quite possible they were too deep, even before the dirt washing down the hill probably buried them.

See, you two solved my problem. I will try something else there and try to pay a little more attention to them. Thanks again!!

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

You can plant hostas there, only have the crown higher. I have such a location and made a 60 ft long dry creek bed out of it. One large gutter empties into it, and during a rain storm I have a creek down there. Hostas are located on the shore of the creek and love the occasional water.
    Bernd

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I will give it another try. Yesterday, I moved another Golden Tiara and three Gold Standards there. I have so many of those two, I won't miss them if they croak.

I put them at the depth I "thought" they should be, then I raised them up. Time will tell.

I must have liked Golden Tiara when I first planted hosta, but I have always wondered what I was thinking. It must have been a "deal". It grows like a weed, and actually looks nice, but for some reason I just don't care for it.

Thanks again.