Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalija_gw

Order from Land of the Giants came today!

kalija
10 years ago

Ok, I have a problem. It happens when I come here and look at all of your beautiful hosta pictures and I can't resist them. Sometimes I put them on my wish list. Sometimes, only sometimes, I truly can't resist and I search the internet crazily untill I find someone who has it.... This is what happened last week when someone posted a pic of "Bodacious Blue". I had to have him. HAD to..... I searched the internet and found him at Land of the Giants. I had no idea he was coming today. Is it coincidental that the school called today because my son got sick - so I had to leave work? Thus I was home a few minutes ago when UPS showed up and here is what they brought me:

That is a 12 inch ruler - this plant is HUGE! My problem is that we are having torrential rain right now - all day and we are do to get more than an inch tonight... so I don't want to plant him untill tomorrow.....what do I do in the meantime? Should I put his roots in water or just leave him wrapped in the paper towel he came in?

Don't worry, thanks to Ken I know I have to tape the pttioles up...

Any advice? I have never dealth with a bare root plant this big - I am a little out of breath! Thanks for reading if you got this far.

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

what... you dont have a slicker.. and cant go play in the rain ... she's got a name you know... tess .... as in 'the rain is tess, the fire's joe, but they call the wind Mariah '

channel your inner child.. and quit making excuses ...

crikey woman.. i used to plant in icy rain.. near snow.. to get them in the ground.. and you are making excuses about a few drops of rain ...

show the kid how to play

ken

ps: seriously.. run out there and shove it in the ground.. you can plant it properly in a few days.. but why not????

Here is a link that might be useful: a little rain sure didnt stop these guys from singing...

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 18:55

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

100% humidity, you say? Bodacious Blue will love it out there in the rain!

• kalija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, Ken I know you are right - I was just thinking that rain plus digging usually equals soupy mud (at least as much rain as we've been getting) and I was worried I would not get it right and have to re-plant him later. Well I stuck him in the ground and will have to make adjustments later if needed. No pics yet - my camera is NOT as waterproof as me - I am definitely not sweet enough to melt! Thanks for the tough love....

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Alright! This is one very hardy hosta. You will be amazed at how she grows. She's not picky at all. She's like my country aunts. . they could pull a two bottom plow barehanded. Now, I never would have had the nerve to voice that while they were still alive. . . ;)

Ahhhh. . the sound of the hooked. . .lovely. . . Now maybe you might consider a little brother or sister for Bodacious Blue. . .lol

Have fun, sis!

• kalija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahhh - Sidney - I believe you were the enabler on this one... thanks for posting your pic. You see, its not just that its a beautifull hosta; when I was growing up on our farm my dad always ignored the names we would pick out for the bulls - he would always call them some other name to make us mad. One of the names he used frequently was "bodacious". So your picture brought back a memory for me....and I will remember it everytime I look at it now.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Ha ha, I did the same thing you did only it was with Lakeside Cindy Cee. After seeing Uk Hostmans pictures, I immediately did an internet search and the only place I could find it was Land of the Giants. They sent me a nice big plant too! I was very impressed with it. I guess they are the place to go for hard to find varieties.

Linda

• betty52
    10 years ago

Kalija, speaking of LOTG I visited this nursery this past week and all I can say is Wow!!!!!!!!!!! I was so surprised at the sizes and amount of hostas they have, I still can't believe this nursery is located right smack dab inside a subdivision......this place is definitely worth a visit but be prepared to be totally overwhelmed and also plan to stay quite awhile to truly appreciate all they have to see!

• User
    10 years ago

Oh, Kalija, I laughed at your next response after Ken's pep talk.....you had been out and PLANTED that sucker MID POSTINGS. What happened? Did you hear a bolt of lightning strike nearby? :) I'd get mobilized too.

Sometimes names are very important besides describing the hosta. We like to mark the beautiful memories of our lives. Let's say, Bodacious Blue spoke to you.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

WOW! You'll probably have to stake BB up. I'd probably use Ken's masking tape method (wrap masking tape around the leaves and insert the stake in the middle).

Gesila

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

two things..

first .. good job... i thought of making cement in rain.. so what.. its better than anything you could have dreamed up with a bucket in the house...

it will be very simple to replant it in a few days ...

second.. i tape things so tight ... they stand up on their own... if you need a stake ... its not taped good enough ...

i never figured out how to make a stake ... with a large division.. stand up.. in loose soil ...

exciting times...

ken

• kalija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I'm going to admit I read Gesilas post this am and ran outside in the morning dark thinking uh-oh I didn't stake him. He was fine, so I ran back in and read Kens post and thought, phew, I must have taped him tight enough. Whew, these plants are working me this week! Anyway, he looks nicley rejuvanated from the rain so I'm glad I went ahead and planted him.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Yes, last week or so I used Ken's tip using tape around the petioles of large leaves too after I got large divisions of 'Millenium', 'Yellow River' and 'Holy Mole' from LOTGs. It must be really tough to dig up multiple divisions of large hostas. Shipment was perfect. I planted them in pots in shade, pots sitting in water in seed trays. I will wait to plant, have no rush, let them get a lot of roots.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Oh now I have to look that one up, maybe put it on my fall list!

I cut tomato cages in half and put them over the tall LOTG hostas to keep them upright until they get rooted in well.I use the tape to keep the leaves together so they don't get broken while I'm planting but take it off when I'm done.

Sandy