Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_gary

H. Emerald Stain if all pan's out... (Heavy pic)

mr_gary
10 years ago

Hi all I just wanted to offer a better lay out of my separation of what I believe is a sport of H. Stained Glass. If it is I'll name it H. Emerald Stain. Let me know what you think. The hosta was purchased last year (2012) at Walmart along with a few others. It appears to me at this time to be growing in a vase shape. A couple of the newer leaves that haven't completely unfurled appear a tad lighter in color which may darken up later.
Before separation

Separated without the use of a knife

H. Stained Glass after separation

If this panâÂÂs out to be a true sport⦠H. Emerald Stain after separation

H. Stained Glass after replanting

H. Emerald Stain after replanting

More ES

More ES

More ES

More ES

More ES

More ES

More ES

And one more ESâ¦

Any input in either direction is more than welcome. Thanks! Gary

Comments (15)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I like it. I really like round leaves.

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

crikey man.. dont you know the tape trick ...

grab up the whole lot of leaves.. make them stand up .... take masking tape.. and bind them all together.. so the whole stands up ...

in a week or two.. the tape will fall off.. and they will be standing there.. happy as clams ...

otherwise.. they will never stand back up ...

there is no reason it should not pan out otherwise.. good job ...

ken

use the gw search box for MOVING A FULLY LEAFED OUT HOSTA... to see the tape trick in action ...

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Nice job dividing it up. I like the name. How much sun will ES get where you planted it up?

Gesila

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Cool, man! Looks like you might have yourself a new fragrant hosta! I hope it holds it's solid green color...I'd like to order one H. 'Emerald Stain', please! : )

Don B.

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ bkay2000, I'm glad you like it.
    @ Ken, ...crikey man.. hummmm! LOL! I suppose I missed that one but you'll be glad to know both hosta are taped.
    @ Gesila, I'm glad you liked the dividing and the name. It gets mostly lite shade and a little dappled sun between noon and three where I planted it up?
    @ Don, it is pretty cool and exciting! I'm hoping it is a new fragrant hosta and that it holds it's solid green color. Also... LOL! at "I'd like to order one H. 'Emerald Stain', please! : )".
    Thank you all for your feedback and comments. I'm really looking forward to see if H. Emerald Stain is stable and what it's growth will be. I'll post pictures and keep you guys posted as thing progress. There's excitement in the air but I don't want to put the carriage in front of the horse. My biggest excitement will be next spring once ES breaks ground and leafs out to a solid green leaf with a fragrant flower. Gary

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Welcome back, Mr. Gary. I have not forgotten about 'Emerald Stain'. Is it still a nice solid stain of emerald? ; )

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

This was about two weeks before my time - I'm glad Don bumped it up! How cool, Mr Gary! Always gratifying not to have to cut into a hosta. Love your name for the sport and both plants look substantial.

Btw, here is the link Ken referred to. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Moving fully leafed out hostas per Ken

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Wouldn't it be a Fried Green Tomatoes,if it was a reversion? FGT is a fragrant hosta,and comes from the original Plantaginea. Just asking? Phil

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Emerald Stain, a sport of Stained Glass.

Thanks for the welcome back, Don. Here is a 2014 photo of Emerald Stain. It has some frost damage and is so unfurling but from what itâÂÂs showing it still has itâÂÂs nice solid stain of emerald? :-) It appears that the leaves are somewhat lighter when they first unfurl then darken as they mature.

Josephines, thank you as well glad you like the name

Phil, I don't know if it would be a Fried Green Tomatoes or a reversion? All I know is that it was growing together as one plant and I separated it.

This post was edited by Mr_Gary on Tue, May 13, 14 at 13:51

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Stained Glass can only revert to Guacamole, from which it sported. It might be very similar to Fried Green Tomatoes, which is a sport of Guacamole. Emerald Stain and Fried Green Tomatoes are close cousins, but are not considered the same, even if they are visually identical.

(Steve taught me this bit of info when I was wondering about my sport of Orange Marmalade.)

bk

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Cool! I like it :)

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Though Emerald Stain is surely genetically unique, the question isn't so much of its uniqueness, it's more a question of 'Does the market need another all-green fragrant hosta out of this line?"
    We've already got Fried Green Tomatoes and Fried Bananas.
    I'm sure that if Gary does make an attempt at TC and marketing this, the TC labs and vendors will ask the same question.

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

It is always fun to find sports but not every sport will be worth introduction. Sure you can name it and register this one, but I'm afraid there won't be a market for it.

When the TC labs get solid green sports out of Stained Glass, which isn't all that uncommon really, they are either thrown out or sold as Fried Green Tomatoes as they are considered close enough to not be able to tell the difference.

Don't get discouraged, though. Keep at it long enough and you will find something even better some day.

Chris

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Chris,

Has anyone ever told this to Mark Zilis???

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Enjoy it, Gary...I love big dark-green fragrants in my garden!

Don B.