Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nematodes?

Posted by bkay2000 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 17:31

It kinda looks like nematodes. But, it doesn't exactly look like those I've seen before.

These hosta are new this year. They are from a reputable grower. I haven't seen this on any other hosta. They are in close proximity to each other.

I don't know what to think. It looks like the back side is melted.

Any ideas?

bk

photo DSCN2352.jpg

photo DSCN2351.jpg

photo DSCN2350.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nematodes?

i have never seen them cause melting thru [but you peeps in TX do things differently.. lol] .. as you note ... usually just turning paper grocery bag brown ...

any hail storms this year... what could have caused such an insult otherwise???

and if you look close.. its all in white tissue isnt it ... hmmmmm

ken

o

The first one is actually plantaginea. It has a couple of funny looking leaves.

bk

o

i see three leaves that look like a white center.. the left most.. not melted out ...

what could have eaten away the leaf??? ... ammonia???

i dont think there is such a creature ... a centered P ...

am i still hallucinating????

does having them elevated on wood.. deter slugs??? ... or just shelving for demonstration???

ken

o

I'm hoping it's heat/sun damage. I have a few that get quite a bit of sun that shows the same melting.

Gesila

o

Ken you're not hallucinating. They do have a light center stripe. They are not on the same eye, though. They don't seem to be damaged, just lighter.

Thanks, Gesila. Mine are pretty shaded and it's not nearly has hot as it's going to be. I hope it's just some random injury and not nematodes.

bk

o

Somewhere on the AHS site there was a thing on testing for nematodes. I can't remember the details - something on the lines of cutting the damaged part out and putting it in water in a clear container, then waiting a few hours and checking for creepy crawlies in the water. I have a M. Aureomaginata that looked like it had nematode damage a couple years ago and did that test. There were no nemes in the water, and there hasn't been any damage since. An Atlantis is doing the same thing this year, time to find the instructions and run the test again. Hope nothing turns up!

o

The first pic does not look like nems to me, because the necrotic tissue doesn't fill the space between the veins. The last two look very suspicious because it does fill the area between the veins. Especially in the third picture. Watch them and see if the area grows. Keep them isolated and don't overhead water them.

Steve

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 16:28

I found the test! Here you go, Bkay.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Diagnose and Test for foliar Nematodes

o

Thanks Babka, too busy making up for my week at the convention to do the article hunting.

It occurred to me you might be able to just seal a clear plastic zip bag full of water over the damaged leaf instead of cutting it up. The bag would have to be supported so it didn't break the leaf off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here