Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

Ferns in the hosta bed

ryseryse_2004
9 years ago

Seemed like such a nice match and fortunately I only added ferns to one of my hosta beds. Yes they are beautiful together but it doesn't make for a care-free bed which is what I strive for. The ferns want to take over. Fortunately they are easy to pull out but they are the only 'weeds' I have to tend to in that bed.

I have since added the ones I pull to areas where they aren't going to disturb anyone.

Comments (9)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I only planted Japanese painted fern in my hosta bed and it has behaved itself for the past 7 years. It just returns each year and adds a bit of delicate contrast & form interest.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Ostrich Fern which you likely are pulling out is great for naturalized area, otherwise there are many ferns that clump quite nicely. Some of my favorites that are a bit ornamental -

Branford Beauty (pic below)
    Applecourt Crested
    Ghost
    Pictum

and add Red Lady (or Lady in Red) - not so ornament, but very nice sized clumps.

Paul

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Paul, is that June?

If not, what is it?

Of course, it won't be that blue in Texas. :-(

bk

• coll_123
    9 years ago

same here- just posted in another thread, but these painted and Maidenhair ferns are as old as my garden ( 8 years) and haven't taken over anything.

I have a colony of spreading ferns- hay scented- that do indeed spread like crazy but I keep them segregated from the hostas. ( and find them easy to pull up)

Hostas and ferns were made for each other-just gotta pick the right fern!

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

bk, why yes, yes it is....admired it in the neighbors garden back when I was starting...she thought it was Blue Shadows and the next day she dropped off a nice hunk......what a great neighbor.

Paul

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Thanks, Paul.

I guess I have to have one after all. I did not know it was a small until recently. I'm going to mostly smalls for my future purchases for a while.

Thanks again.

bk

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    9 years ago

I like my Painted ferns 'Pictum' in among my 'Striptease' and 'Fragrant Bouquet' hostas. I think since they are all under a magnolia tree, they are in competition with the surface roots of the tree and none tries to take over from another plant. Also pictured is Carex morrowi 'Evergold' on the lower right and in the back left you can see the flowers of the Tiarella 'Oakleaf'.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I only planted Autumn Fern,and Ostrich fern in my garden,plus I have two different kinds of native ferns,which I let come up wherever they want and just garden around them. The Odtrich ferns have spread around a little,but my big hostas are far too vigorous for them to take over. I like native plants. I have native Trilliums,and False solomons seal,which I just let grow whever they want too. I also have clumps of Jack-in-the-pulpit,here and there. People actually sell JITP,but I get it for free! Phil

• gardenfanatic2003
    9 years ago

I envy those of you who have nice lush ferns. I struggle to keep mine alive. I don't think they care for our dry climate. My JPF has been the same size for 5 years - tiny.

Deanna