Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

What's your favorite white-hot hosta?

OK, I have been looking around the hosta garden and I have noticed that white is, well, absent in there! I don't seem to have very many hostas with white at all. I have some, but the balance is way off and I do think having a nice blend adds to the overall look of a hosta bed. I just don't seem to gravitate towards them and if I have them, they tend to be white centered, not edged.

So, convince me. What are your top 1, 3 or 5 favorites that have white in them? Medium, Large & XLs are fine. No smalls, please.

Comments (31)

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

Lionheart
    Loyalist
    Andrew
    Formal Attire
    Vulcan
    Hi Ho Silver
    Ginko Craig
    Lakeside Spellbinder
    Delta Dawn

These all do great in my garden....

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

My favourite is Lakeside Love Affaire.
    Starts out a creamy white and turns to pure white.

Vanessa

• hostanista
    9 years ago

After reading your post I did a quick check of mine and realized I don't have enough of the white edged variety. Now I'll have to be on the lookout for them. I have Hi Ho Silver, very nice, but it's small, and Night Before Christmas has a good white center but the prize today goes to FIRE AND ICE. (Just 1 year old).

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

White Christmas...

• User
    9 years ago

Funn, that is a really good question.

I have a shortage of white centered AND white margined hosta for good reason. The white melts on me.

I have good luck with only a couple of them. So I avoid white. In other plants (non hosta plants) I love the white stripes on leaves or the white flowers which light up pathways or glow in the shade better than any other color. In the beginning I was all hot to get white leaved hosta as well. Oh boy did that change quickly. Either they turned green or they melted to nothing.

I have Lionheart doing very well this year. I keep it on my bistro table and admire it every time I go to the heart of my garden. Another one which does well is Half And Half, and related to it, Pathfinder.

Everything else (except for the margins of some chartreuse leafed fragrants) don't do well. Now, Summer Music might be a good one for you. It did nicely last year but got zapped by the cold this spring. Lovely hosta.

Want to see?
    Lionheart on 5/13/14

Summer Music taken 5/27/13

I put it back in the sun and it is holding its own after the cold got it, shown here.

I cannot say Zebra Stripes because it is new this year and had a fasciated scape which almost ate the whole plant. But it is recovering.

For edges, I'd say there is a trio of hosta which go together. All are fragrant, all were named for folks who were friends and family during their lifetimes. They are Emily Dickinson, her brother Austin Dickinson, and her editor/his mistress, Mistress Mabel. I always keep them together. Emily is the one I had first and soon added the other two. I like trios.

(Did I mention they are all fragrant?)

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Two of my favorites - Parthenon (New fragrant)

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

and Moonstruck

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Agree with Gary about Moonstruck...first year slugs have left it alone

Same for Pandora's Box...good looking little guy

On the larger side
    Risky Business ....dark green and white is awesome

Minuteman

• hostasmith
    9 years ago

Revolution is a really good plant and Cool as a Cucumber is nice too. Then there is Ice Follies, Royal Wedding and Bridal Falls.

That's my $0.05. None of mine are nice enough to share pictures of, yet.

• irawon
    9 years ago

El Nino is a lovely medium, blue center and white edge.

• irawon
    9 years ago

My White Elephant isn't mature but a good grower.

• User
    9 years ago

Oh my, I forgot about White Elephant. It did great here early in the spring. However, something is mushing leaves on some hosta,in the white areas, and they yield their spot to another plant which needs a spot. The White Elephant is thus in the Intensive Care Unit. It all began 2nd week of June. Darn if I know what happened, but it ain't pretty is a good way to describe it.

May 31, 2014 I was so proud of it here. Little did I know that it would have a reversal of fortune in about 10 days. I've grown this plant since May 2011.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear about your WE, Mocc. What do you think ails it?

I meant to comment on the fact that the margins on your WE are narrower and more consistent in width... must be something that develops with age. I like the narrower edges on yours.

This post was edited by irawon on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 11:15

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Hakumuo

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Hi Ho Silver

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Haku Chu Han over Grey Ghost

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Parhelion

• User
    9 years ago

HHillbilly, your Grey Ghost is nothing like mine. I got mine in 2013 from Naylor Boyz. It is viridescent and emergest creamy=white, changes to pale yellow, and then to blue. Sport of Blue Angel. It ends up the season, says the description, looking like Blue Angel.....

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Enterprise

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

I think hostahillbilly's Grey Ghost is actually Ghost Spirit. Also, Parhelion looks a bit too dark...mine is a much lighter lime-ish green and so are all the others I've seen in pictures and gardens.
    Vanessa

• Jagd51
    9 years ago

American Halo, Blue Ivory, Bridal Falls, Fiesta, Fragrant Queen, Frozen Margarita, Ice Follies, Parhelion and Winter Snow with white margins......

• irawon
    9 years ago

Hi everybody,

I seem to have a lot of trouble integrating the white/green ones into the landscape with hostas of different colours. I don't know why.

Here's a picture of Francee in the middle and her sport, Patriot, at the top. I planted aruncus aesthofolius
    just starting to flower) with its white plumes in the same bed. Actually the aruncus was there first.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Parhelion is swallowing up the real estate. I had no idea it would get so big. DUH. It's a sport of Sum and Substance.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Irawon, what's the hosta under Parhelion on the right?

• irawon
    9 years ago

Funn, it's Lakeside Paisley Print.

• chris-e
    9 years ago

I love Blue Ivory, and I can't believe that I can't find a picture of it! The contrast between the dark blue and the Ivory is gorgeous...I think this might be my favorite color combination of all!

chris

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I'm liking my Night Before Christmas a lot. Got it from Hallson Gardens last year. Not a sign of meltout yet, so hopefully it's sited in an appropriate spot.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I LOVE, LOVE El Nino!

Hard to get it's true colors across from pics, I've learned, but I tried. Got this from Hallson Gardens as a 'thank you' plant from Chris : )

No, no. Thank ----> YOU Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Silk Kimono comes up with cream margins, then fades to a crisp white edge with some deep ruffling. It'll get pretty big.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Gone with the Wind will start out with yellow/cream margins, but during the early summer, they fade to a white edge. The leaves on GWTW are very piecrusted. Makes for a great specimen.

This is my plant, and it's got a few years before it really grows up... It will get to a large or XL sized hosta. It really will grow into a big beauty!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Fair Maiden will get to be a medium plant. The white in her leaves often streak into the midrib. She's a true beauty, hence her name.

Don B.