Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please ID large green Noid!

Posted by berndnyz5 zone 5 NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 17:40

Please ID this large green NOID in my garden.
It grows as background for 15 years, but I lost its ID. The size is 60 inches wide, 30 inches tall, leaves are 8 inches wide and 12 inches long.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please ID large green Noid!

Montana possibly.

Paul

o

That's what it looks like to me. What do you know about the flowers, Bernd? When and what do they look like.

Steve

o

I have no recollection about the flowers. Flower stalks are 10 inches tall now, so it will bloom in July I think. The leaf underside is a light greyish blue-green (same as H.'Dream Weaver' nearby)
It is very different to others nearby like H.f.'Hyacinthina', H.f.'Albopicta', H.'Blue Angel'. It is growing over a pair of younger H.'Northern Exposure', need to move those.
I bought that plant perhaps via mail-order or as part of the annual Fall perennial sales at a local nursery @ $1 each. One year I bought there 30 perennials :).
Bernd

o

Montana flowers in July with pale lavender flowers on 48" scapes according to myhostas database. Keep an eye on the flowering next month. Montana pollen is great to use, as it has produced many great Hostas.

Steve

o

Steve and Paul, Thanks!
I will mark it down in my data base as a generic montana, if the flowers are pale lavender. Hosta Library has no picture like mine for montana etc.
Don Rawson has a hosta list for Green-leaved Hostas with a thousand names, wow. Perhaps on a cold snowy winter day I could compare each of those to find the real name.
Bernd

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here