Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Dirty Dozen

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

Oak trees are great for growing hosta under, but now they're dropping dark smutz on the leaves....the woes of a shade garden.

Abiqua Moonbeam - if you don't have one, a nice growing hosta.

Mourning Dove - growing in quite a bit of shade, but slowly progressing

August Moon.....looking good in June

Emily Dickinson

Little Sunspot

June and a few of it's friends

Invincible

Blue Flame - starting to show it's potential

Delta Dawn....at dawn. Moved to a brighter spot and starting to respond.

Ghost Spirit - plodding along, but then again lots of white, so......

Teaspoon - a big little hosta

Wylde Green Cream

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (29)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Paul, a very (sigh) Zen-like paradise you've created...I very much like how the colours play off each other - you have an artistic eye for colour and companion planting. Your hosta show beautifully...it's a very calming, soothing setting. Ghost Spirit is ethereal, me like! My first "gotta get me one" from the forum!! Everytime I see Mourning Dove in my book, I want, then I see it in your garden and I just sigh. I have Wolverine...somewhat similar although mine is only two yrs old.

The more pics I see here, the more I understand why I am drawn to certain types. Please keep the pics coming as I love to "visit" with your hosta. Thank you for posting. Jo :))

• kalija
    10 years ago

You have such a natural setting. Is that sweet woodruff next to Teaspoon? I really like how that looks!

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the comments.

MadPlanter1, I'm with you, Mourning Dove has wonderful colors. Blue Flame was planted in 2011 so should be hitting it's leap year next year hopefully.

josephines67, Ghost Spirit I think varies a bit plant to plant, as some pics show a lot more green and misting early.

kalija - yes that is Sweet Woodruff. A little goes a long ways in a few years.

Paul

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Very nice! I especially love the picture of June and friends! Can you believe I don't have June yet? I have got to get that one.

Thanks for posting, I love seeing your garden!

Linda

• maow
    9 years ago

Love your hostas Paul, can you please share which kind of hosta is to the left and above teaspoon? And also the solid chartreuse one and the green edged one flanking blue flame?

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

All if it is great - hostas, tree trunks, stone pathways, lamium, ferns, woodruff.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi maow, just back from out of town.....saw your email also, but couldn't reply to it since you don't have email active with your GW acct.

Left of Teaspoon is Paul's Glory and above is Northern Exposure; the solid chartreuse left of Blue Flame is a Captain's Adventure I ordered that never emerged with normal CA colors....so likely slipped thru tissue culture culling. The dark edge one is Wylde Green Cream and the dark centered one is Dark Shadows.

Here's a pick of the green Captain's Adventure in August last year....early leaves brightened and newer leaves are darker.

If you want to see pics of any of those named, let me know.

Paul

• maow
    9 years ago

Thanks Paul, appreciate your reply, and yes may I see a photo of PG and Northern exposure? I bought a bunch of hosta yesteday and Teaspoons was my favorite, I planted it in the middle of my chartreuse beedham white lamium bed, hope it grows to look like your soon.
    Wow, that Captains adventure looks reallky nice, I have stumbled upon the real CA and never really liked the mottled variations, but I love your CA, love the 2 tone colors. I'd never guess in a million years it is Paul's glory, your PG has such pretty pastel mint green and soft blue colors, I love subtle colored hosta that whisper, not scream, (although... I couldn't seem to get Montana Aureomarginata out of my mind!) I have a PG and it looks nothing like yours, mine is medium green with a yellow center, nothing glorious about it yet, I got it last year by mistake. May be Peter ruh would have been better. Were these photos taken in the spring? Do you have any small to medium ones (blues & greens) that you would recommend? I will be able to get my hand on a mature clump of Fallen angel by September, I already have English sunrise, Sweet innocence (love this one), Blue shadows, June(my best hosta), High society, Rare breed(this one is really special) , Rhino hide, Earth angel, On stage, Rainforest sunshine and have a very limited suburban garden space.
    One more thing Paul... I have a few NOID hostas, and would love to know what they are, how can I upload a photo from my phone gallery on the gardenweb to ask for help identifying them?

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

maow, Paul's Glory changes with the season and can become very bright centered by August....a couple of pics of PG below.

Mourning Dove has nice blue and green colors....if growing in brighter light I think it would be more filled out by now.

Another nice small blue and green is Stand By Me (sport of June)...good grower, nice substance.

Regarding photos to id from phone....when starting a new thread, do a preview and you will see an upload option with browse available near where you edit text. You can add one pic per message, so add a couple of messages if you want to add additional pics.

Paul

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Maow. Good to have a new (or returning?) face in the peanut gallery.

If you like the unexpected coloring of Captain's Adventure, you might like another one which has that color as a normal thing. Only it has a green margin to it. Just a slight margin, and it changes colors too. I call it my "chameleon" hosta.

Brenda's Beauty has knocked my socks off this year. I could not believe how it has taken to the sun, along with many other lutescent or fragrant hosta which are lovely colors too. Shade here is precious and rare, so I save the sensitive things for the shade. What can take it gets a dose of south Alabama sunshine.

But I digress. Paul's garden is always a treat, and I have some here because I saw pictures of his. Isn't that always the way!

Brenda's Beauty. on May 24th twilight

May 31 twilight but different camera

June 18th with friends on the afternoon side of the garden

and another really fine chartreuse gold that has great substance is Aspen Gold

Welcome, Maow. Pleased to meet you. :)

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Paul: Thanks for sharing your pics. I can never get enough. Your garden looks quite similar to mine, woodland setting, very natural, calm and serene, I'd love to see some wide angle shots of the garden.

I just acquired Mourning Dove and love the subtle colors. I may have to get Stand by Me. Your pic has me interested in that one.

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Very nice! .....a treat...Thanks for posting!

• User
    9 years ago

Paul, until you posted this picture of Stand By Me, it never dawned on me how small it was. More in the line of Blue Cadet size? Or perhaps nakaiana?

I never made the connection to June, and now I SEE IT.
    Okay, add another one to the List.

You know you are responsible for my Harpoons, don't you? :)
    No more emergency orders for herself here!

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moc, Stand by Me is a small.....maybe as tall as Kabitan and 18" wide so far. My Blue Cadets would probably be double the width and height.

Paul

• User
    9 years ago

Okay, then Stand By Me should be a good one for my daughter's new garden. Actually she is my DH's daughter, but we are close. This is her first real garden and I want it to be a good experience, with no ups and downs, only ups and ups.
    So choosing pretty plants which do not have to be moved a lot once she puts them in the ground.

Between you and Don Rawson, I'll be spilling hosta in her garden that won't fit in mine.I can keep doing what I like, finding hosta to grow....somewhere.

When one door closes, another one opens.

• maow
    9 years ago

Thanks Paul, another one to get... stand by me, now which poor hosta will I chuck to make room for it. Love them all, glad to know PG changes dramatically, I will try to chronicle mine and upload photos once I figure it out. I am really technically challenged.
    Thanks mocs for the suggestion, that's the one I always wanted, but I have planted in every square inch I have on Monday. But.... I Love your Brenda's beauty, I think I reasearched it awhile back, don't remember why I crossed it out, do you mind telling me about the light conditions where it is planted? Is it thick substance and a good grower? I have said this is my last plant every week end sinced it warmed up, my family will chain me in the basement if I tried to fog more holes, I wasn't allowed to garden for a whole week until Monday, because I pulled my shoulder digging around my heavy clay doil and the darn maple tree roots 2 weeks ago! What will I do now?? I already used up my mother's day and birthday excuse. Help hosta friends, no one understands, but you...

• maow
    9 years ago

Please help ID these... I can only add that the leaves on this one are not thick.

• maow
    9 years ago

Please help ID #2... Is this brim cup? I have a young brim cup, but the leaves on this is just a little thicker in substance, may be because it is a litlle more mature plant? What do you guys think, and is the burn looking leaf what you guys call drawstring?

• maow
    9 years ago

Please ID #3 this one looks like Halcyon but green, thick leaves ...

• maow
    9 years ago

Please ID #3, same plant top view, above it is High society.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

maow, I would post pics in a new discussion with Please help ID or similar in title.....many will not revisit an older thread. If you can add anything about the plants it will help - how old, where purchased, something in pic for size reference, .....

Paul

• maow
    9 years ago

Please ID hosta #4, this one is a light green edge yellow leaf, thick substance slightly cupping.

• maow
    9 years ago

Ok Paul, you are right, I will do that.

• maow
    9 years ago

Ok Paul, you are right, I will do that.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Paul, your hosta gardens are lush and inviting... never mind the schmutz, it certainly doesn't show. Every time you post pics I end up reconsidering certain hostas. For example, Northern Exposure, does it remain upright or is it semi? I'm looking for an upright for a certain spot, that won't get too wide and will be seen from a distance.

Also, now want Mourning Dove. Like everyone else on this forum I learn something from every one of your posts, so keep the info and hosta pictures coming.

Re Sweet Woodruff, I had trouble getting it started but now it's going gangbusters, nearly devoured poor Pandora's Box, moved it. Do you have trouble containing it or do you just let it go.

BTW, a HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I've always loved hostas, but have never seen so many varieties. These are all just gorgeous.

Hmm, maybe I need to hang out here more often!

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

irawon, thanks for the comments. Don't know if I would consider Northern Exposure an upright, it is a sport of Elegans so similar habit. They had one at MN Landscape Arboretum that was a monster(pic below), though I suspect they may have started with more than one plant. My NE had a nice leap in divisions (added 7) this year, so I'm expecting it to spread a bit by season's end as the leaves stretch for the sunlight.

I've let Sweet Woodruff go for the most part, it doesn't seem too hard to remove.... it's getting in the pathways now and I slowed it down quite a bit with a shuffle hoe. Neighbor removed some trees so one section is getting more sun....waiting to see if SW sulks in the sun. So far no difference, but we have had a very wet June, so will see with the heat of July.

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

gsciencechick, welcome to the Hosta Forum.....warning, we are enablers. Please, share some pics of your gardens.

Paul