Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

A pic of one of the daily visitors to my hostas- FINALLY!

brandys_garden
10 years ago

Everyday, I have (I think) about 15 different hummingbirds visit. (The cats love this!) They aren't afraid of me either. But they've been too fast for me to get any decent pics of... Until today! Here's one with Wheee! So beautiful!! These visitors, I do not mind at all! ;)

Comments (11)

• luckykat13
    10 years ago

Wow. Beautiful shot!! I am never quick enough:)

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

I have this baby rabbit that comes to my yard, and I swear it just seems SLOW, if you know what I mean, its kinda really dumb cute. I look at him and think you are way to brave, and have no idea how easy I could have you,, but he just sits there kinda dorky eating the grass, hanging out in the shade...

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They've swarmed around me, not in a threatening way but in a "you're OK" sort of way. My sister says it's because I am the real life Snow White! LOL! But they will tweet at me. I never knew hummingbirds tweeted until recently.

I was ready today! I had my phone all set to go and just took shot after shot! This was the best one! There were actually 3... The other 2 were at my Albomarginata!
    Here's the 2nd best shot of one of the others...

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Those are so cute....I love hummingbirds! I get them on my monarda, knifophia and fuschias, but I've never seen them on my hosta flowers. I wonder if "Wheee!" and "Albomarginata" are particularly attractive to them, or have you noticed them on other hostas as well?

• Gesila
    10 years ago

How lucky you are! I didn't see any last year.

Gesila

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Great shots! I am never fast enough, either.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Good that they are getting used to you - you will be able to get even better and better shots. Zoom in! I noticed they liked my albomarginatas last season. None of my hostas are flowering yet but the hummers are all over 2 feeders. This one is just a few feet from my morning coffee area on the deck.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They seem to like the Albomarginata and the Wheee! They didn't really like Fire Island's blooms, though. I thought they would because they were so bright purple. Maybe it was too close to the door and the cats for their comfort? They also liked Midwest Magic's blooms. But I am not surprised.... MM's coloring is very bright and attractive to them, not just the blooms.

The only other one that's bloomed so far is Paul's Glory but they were not on him either. However, his just bloomed this morning so maybe they didn't see it yet?

• User
    10 years ago

I notice that the flowers are pendulous, they hang down like a pendulum. It makes it easier for them to "refuel in mid air" so to speak. Since neither of those two hosta are fragrant, it has to be that they make nice pollen, and it is easy to refuel.

In the Plant Delights Nursery hosta descriptions, Tony Avent always describes some hosta as "hummingbird magnets."
    You made a good observation, Brandy.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One visited Paul's Glory this morning!! No camera though. :(

Yea, Wheee and Albomarginata, Midwest Magic, and a couple of my others are said to "attract hummingbirds and songbirds" That must be why the songbirds are making a fuss every morning? It sounds like they are right outside my door? I guess it's because they are!!!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Whenever I have been out early in the morning watering they like to come around. A fine spray is what they enjoy. They buzz around the edges if you keep it in one place.

Haven't seen one this year as there has been no need to water anything around here. It is getting hot and dry, so this will change soon.

Jon

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!