Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaflover76

Not St. Paul

leaflover76
10 years ago

Bought this beauty yesterday and it was labelled St. Paul. I knew it wasn't St. Paul when I bought it but I just loved the coloring. Any idea what it is?

{{gwi:1038651}}

Another look

{{gwi:1038652}}

The leaf

{{gwi:1038653}}

Comments (13)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Probably an immature Striptease. Or maybe Kiwi Full Monte if the margins are blue enough.

Steve

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Looks like Gypsy Rose.
    Vanessa

• User
    10 years ago

Oh boy. I can do you a favor right here, because I got MY two of this family this last week, and they are both gorgeous....like your new hosta is. That is a lovely plant, and it is definitely in the Striptease family....notice the characteristic "G-string" separating the midleaf from the margin area.

Ok. Here is the pic of my two, side by side.
    I'm voting for Kiwi Full Monty

• User
    10 years ago

and for good measure, here is another family member, the famous
    GYPSY ROSE...ain't she a beaut?

• leaflover76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What about Snake Eyes. Does anyone have that one?

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Vanessa,

Tell me why you think it's Gypsy Rose and not KFM? You may be right. I just want to know the differences in the two plants.

Steve

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Steve,
    My experience is that Gypsy Rose has a dark green edge with a striking yellow center. Kiwi Full Monty is blue with a thinner greenish yellow center. Gypsy Rose stays small-medium sized and Kiwi Full Monty is large. Kiwi Full Monty's leaf size is also larger.
    Here are some pics from my garden:

Gypsy Rose

Kiwi Full Monty

Striptease

Snake Eyes

Vanessa

• User
    10 years ago

Ohhh, Vanessa, you have Snake Eyes too.....so does Babka....and a few more people, because Hallson is out of stock. It has a broader white g-string than the others I think, but not sure about the rest of the differences. I appreciate hearing your observations.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Great explanation. The pics really help. That's definitely Gypsy Rose that Leaflover's got.

Thanks,

Steve

• leaflover76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have Gypsy Rose already for a couple seasons in my garden and it does not have a white G-string. That's why I wondered if its Snake Eyes. I don't think it's Kiwi Full Monte because it doesn't have the blue to it. I also already have Striptease and it doesn't look like that one either - the leaves are shaped different. So I was thinking Snake Eyes.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

The funny thing about the members in the Striptease family,they don't look the same in everyones garden. My Gypsy Rose looks nothing like the plants shown here. It's a matter of what light you grow it in. Speaking of that pic of Snake eyes,I have a couple leaves like that this year on one of my Stripteases. Is it possible that I have a Snake Eyes going on? Phil

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I agree about the sun. My Striptease was very unlikeable and dull in almost full shade. I've moved it to a brighter location and now it's a standout!

• User
    10 years ago

Ask Babka to show her photo of her Snake Eyes. It is in the thread about Don't Block The Exits, I'm thinking.

It's white g-string is very wide, but that may be a function of its age. Your plant has a definite white line, just not as wide as hers.

Your Gypsy Rose would have a white line, I'm thinking, even from a young age. I got mine this spring, and it has a narrow white line, but definitely is there.

All I can say is, how lucky can you get, if you can turn a St.Paul into a Snake Eyes! :)