Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serenitycove_gw

Trip to Wade and Gatton today

serenitycove
9 years ago

So....I decided the eight hostas I picked up at Cory's two weeks ago wasn't going to cut it, so we made another trip to Wade and Gatton today.
I came home with:

Sun Power
Clear Fork River Valley
Great Expectations
Richland Gold's Moonlight
Tokudama Aureonebulosa
Peter Rhu
Punky

Comments (8)

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Is that tall one Sun Power? It's huge.

Looks like you have a great Clear Fork River Valley!

Van's hostas seem to grow very tall in his gardens. My Tequila Sunrise I bought from him has never been as tall as it was after the first year I got it from Van. I wonder if your Sun Power will do the same.

Did you get a tour of the gardens?

Gesila

• serenitycove
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes....that is Sun Power. It was so tall I had them tie it up to bring it home. I toured part of the garden. I usually tour a different area every year because it's huge.
    Most of my hostas from there have done very well. Carnival is one that has not done so well for me. My Dawns Early Light doesn't look good this year but I blame it on the weather.
    I was happy to get a CFRV.

• timhensley
    9 years ago

You're lucky to live so close to those guys. Great looking hostas.

• serenitycove
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tim....to bad I didn't realize that until about 4 or 5 years ago. I had never heard of them until I toured a local garden and commented about all her lovely hostas. Her face lit up and she told me 'if you love hostas you have to go to Van Wades'. I was thrilled to learn I lived an hours drive from a source like them!!

• User
    9 years ago

Serenity.....an hour's drive is a decent length road trip. It would build the anticipation by the time you arrived to see what looked great this year.

Van Wade developed CFRV and it is sweet to have one grown in his nursery. I got Van Wade Blue from him, plus many others by mail order. I'd love to visit his place, even if it meant spending a week and a fortune. So many hosta, so little time!

• irawon
    9 years ago

Hi Serenity,

Those hostas look like really big divisions....well worth whatever extra you might have paid for them. Hope they all grow well for you.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

an hour's drive is a decent length road trip. It would build the anticipation by the time you arrived

==>>> decent???? .... pshaw... i have driven the near 4 hours.. repeatedly ...

crikey one hour.. thats the first pit stop and coffee break... which of course means... another pit stop ... lol

it is definitely a blues brother trip ... as you need spend every sun lit hour there ... leave in the dark.. get back in the dark ...

its peter ruh ... and he used to have a sublime nursery.. within an hour of vans .... but now.. being on near 200 years old ... lol ... i dont know what is left of it ... daughter was struggling to keep it going ... but i lost track of them .... see link ... DO NOT APPEAR GRATUITOUSLY ...

richland is the county van is in.. if i am not mistaken...

and clear fork river.. is the riven you crossed to get to the parking lot ...

good luck with GE ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• User
    9 years ago

MY LORD Ken, the map of the Ruh property at that link is double the size of a neighboring golf course!

The catalog would not open. It also was dated 2012. I guess a phone call might work. I'm curious about the Seed Bank. First time I ever encountered such a setup from a nursery. Much simpler than shipping plants for sure.