Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trip to Wade and Gatton today

Posted by serenitycove Ohio zone 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 17:58

So....I decided the eight hostas I picked up at Cory's two weeks ago wasn't going to cut it, so we made another trip to Wade and Gatton today.
I came home with:

Sun Power
Clear Fork River Valley
Great Expectations
Richland Gold's Moonlight
Tokudama Aureonebulosa
Peter Rhu
Punky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trip to Wade and Gatton today

Is that tall one Sun Power? It's huge.

Looks like you have a great Clear Fork River Valley!

Van's hostas seem to grow very tall in his gardens. My Tequila Sunrise I bought from him has never been as tall as it was after the first year I got it from Van. I wonder if your Sun Power will do the same.

Did you get a tour of the gardens?

Gesila

o

Yes....that is Sun Power. It was so tall I had them tie it up to bring it home. I toured part of the garden. I usually tour a different area every year because it's huge.
Most of my hostas from there have done very well. Carnival is one that has not done so well for me. My Dawns Early Light doesn't look good this year but I blame it on the weather.
I was happy to get a CFRV.

o

You're lucky to live so close to those guys. Great looking hostas.

o

Tim....to bad I didn't realize that until about 4 or 5 years ago. I had never heard of them until I toured a local garden and commented about all her lovely hostas. Her face lit up and she told me 'if you love hostas you have to go to Van Wades'. I was thrilled to learn I lived an hours drive from a source like them!!

o

Serenity.....an hour's drive is a decent length road trip. It would build the anticipation by the time you arrived to see what looked great this year.

Van Wade developed CFRV and it is sweet to have one grown in his nursery. I got Van Wade Blue from him, plus many others by mail order. I'd love to visit his place, even if it meant spending a week and a fortune. So many hosta, so little time!

o

Hi Serenity,

Those hostas look like really big divisions....well worth whatever extra you might have paid for them. Hope they all grow well for you.

o

an hour's drive is a decent length road trip. It would build the anticipation by the time you arrived

==>>> decent???? .... pshaw... i have driven the near 4 hours.. repeatedly ...

crikey one hour.. thats the first pit stop and coffee break... which of course means... another pit stop ... lol

it is definitely a blues brother trip ... as you need spend every sun lit hour there ... leave in the dark.. get back in the dark ...

its peter ruh ... and he used to have a sublime nursery.. within an hour of vans .... but now.. being on near 200 years old ... lol ... i dont know what is left of it ... daughter was struggling to keep it going ... but i lost track of them .... see link ... DO NOT APPEAR GRATUITOUSLY ...

richland is the county van is in.. if i am not mistaken...

and clear fork river.. is the riven you crossed to get to the parking lot ...

good luck with GE ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

MY LORD Ken, the map of the Ruh property at that link is double the size of a neighboring golf course!

The catalog would not open. It also was dated 2012. I guess a phone call might work. I'm curious about the Seed Bank. First time I ever encountered such a setup from a nursery. Much simpler than shipping plants for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here